Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Add - Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea what the OEM Chrome plated would cost? Are they difficult to install? Didn't know they were available.
Labor will be more than the parts.

I have a black body colored vinyl wrap on my S handles and one rubs slightly. I bought the older style S solid metal handles in hopes of having them stripped and annodized or painted to match the body, before I figured out that the reason they went to plastic was that the metal ones retained enormous amounts of heat in the summer when chromed, which might even be worse in gloss black.

I'd be resistant to chrome wrap over the OEM blackout, this being 1) Films do not do the best job sticking to satin finishes and 2) the chrome vinyls available really arent the most durable long term. I suspect there will be options moving forward to replace components to match the Model 3 if desired and this is the route I'd recommend to go.

Some think the handles will be the same as the model 3, in which case if you are going to keep the car a while it is better to simply pay to swap them for the OEM chrome plated ones. Bad enough to have vinyl wrapped handles, much less something chrom-ish wrapped.

@Krash @daviddavid:

Model Y vs Model 3 handles

Front then Rear

20200317_140109.jpg 20200317_140142.jpg 20200317_140230.jpg 20200317_140246.jpg

I show my wife pictures of M3 with chrome and she’s says it looks ok, but the same color with chrome delete, and “UGLY!” is the response I get. I think our older girls don’t dig the chrome delete. WTF am I supposed to do? Buy a used Tesla instead of a new one?

Someone needs to simply lay out a cost to “Chrome Delete Delete” and simplify this.