Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Churchill Insurance - Acceleration Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect thanks guys. I thought that would be the case, now it's going to be how 'disciplined' I can be in not flooring it (proving difficult already without the boost).

Have any of you noticed any changes to the top speed, or is it just the quicker acceleration that the boost changes.

It all depends on frequency/success of wrestling control back from your right leg.

And also whether or not you play the game of looking at the data from your last drive to see if you exceeded your personal best for holding maximum power for the longest period of time. Heck of a challenge, as the car exceeds all speed limits within seconds, so maintaining anything over a couple of hundred kW for more than a couple of seconds is pretty hard to do . . .

I have to keep explaining to the wife that each journey I make that looks on the nav to be exactly the same as one she took but with much more kWs used was down to weather, horrendous head wind, road conditions etc. I've told her that 'her' sport driving profile is obviously faulty & must default to chill but she's having none of it.

Lesson learned - try to keep things like the energy screen or the trip cards to yourself. For your beloved, explain just enough to be able to drive safely, no more (...she's even discovered the means to track me in motion using the app location so that must be faulty too - she sometimes claims I was over the legal limit.... surely not? )

I'm pretty sure it wont change top speed for the very reason that the base Performance (when it was available without PUP as a mandatory option) didn't get the top speed increase. The top speed improvement came with the PUP and i believe then, only when the spoiler was fitted - not all were.

You are more likely to get the speed improvement if you buy the Tesla spoiler - but no mention of it in the $800 sales blurb.

The spoiler is purely cosmetic and provides no additional downforce nor speed gains

While this may be the case there was a point last year where M3P were shipped without the spoiler fitted, and were configured to have a lower top speed until the spoiler was fitted. Bjorn did a video about getting the speed unlocked when the spoiler was fitted ->

Reactions: Jibjab and MrBadger
While this may be the case there was a point last year where M3P were shipped without the spoiler fitted, and were configured to have a lower top speed until the spoiler was fitted. Bjorn did a video about getting the speed unlocked when the spoiler was fitted ->
Wonder what the limit is in my m3p- ? Assume it's the lower but remember it saying 162 when ordering...

Spoke to LV about this today and they charge an extra 23 pounds for the acceleration boost. Which is kind of OK I think.

They mark it on the policy as "Chipping - engine management system changes" :rolleyes:
Considering the increase in power (which must be pretty significant to drop the 0-60 by 1/2 a second when it's already low) I think £23 extra premium is pretty damn good!

I got my insurance with Direct Line over the weekend for my M3LR. I asked about Autopilot and the Acceleration Boost. The woman on the phone knew of both. She added "Tesla - Autopilot Software" to my policy and it reduced the price by £40! Then she added "Tesla - Acceleration Boost Software" and then mentioned that Direct Line would no longer be able to insurance my car with this option. So I had to mention that I would not go ahead with that change for me to take out the policy :/

• Informative
Reactions: curmudgeon
Just been onto to Churchill - they have declined to insure me if I have the AB added to the car. Was told that it it like 'chipping' your engine.
I explained that Have reads many other customers of theirs had the AB having reads this thread. They still declined me.... any ideas? What should I be telling them?

curious what people would expect if they have an issue with the car that involves it being written off. Would they expect the value of the car to be £1500 higher considering you've added AB which is now lost with the car? If so doesn't that mean they're insuring a more valuable car which could impact premiums regardless of the performance difference.

Likewise with EAP/FSD - those are really expensive so you'd presumably want some of that back if written off?

I absolutely agree. I had a race tuned 650 Bonneville. The standard Bonnie 0-60 was about 5.6 s. Got it down to 4.6s. Still not as fast as a bog standard LR. None of the sporty ICE’s I’ve owned ever pinned my head to the restraint like the M3.
Happy to live without sport mode and keep the range.
my Hayabusa's did it in about 2.5 seconds, really miss them sometimes :)