Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class action? Tesla is charging $2000 to upgrade 16G RAM for 2021 owners to get steam working in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called tesla and they agreed to fix my model s plaid for free. That was my argument as well. Call them if you bought it after June of 2022 they actually did the right thing. I had called better business bureau etc and was willing to spend my own money to see it through due to principal of situation. But once I explained the issue they said we were wrong you should have a 16gb ram in your car instead of 8gb and now my cars in shop as we speak being upgraded for free.

I was pleasantly surprised but they did the right thing. Grant it you have to be proactive
June 21, or June 22?

I called tesla and they agreed to fix my model s plaid for free. That was my argument as well. Call them if you bought it after June of 2022 they actually did the right thing. I had called better business bureau etc and was willing to spend my own money to see it through due to principal of situation. But once I explained the issue they said we were wrong you should have a 16gb ram in your car instead of 8gb and now my cars in shop as we speak being upgraded for free.

I was pleasantly surprised but they did the right thing. Grant it you have to be proactive
Curious to see if this actually works. Keep us posted.

So here's an interesting twist.

Just ordered a (gently) used Palladium 2021 Model S - hopefully pick it up next week.

The MVPA lists "Infotainment Upgrade" as a feature... Given that, historically, that feature refers to MCU2 upgrades in "legacy" S/X, I'm really, really curious what that means on this Palladium.

Could it be the magical 16GB upgrade? Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 8.07.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 8.07.54 PM.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 135
At least you get an upgrade option. Us “legacy” owners get nothing at all.

As for spending $2,000 to play games on a 17” screen? That’s gonna be a negative ghostrider from me TBH. You can get a hell of a gaming rig for that.
They also want 2200 to “upgrade” to no fm radio and more games aka mcu2. Lol. All I can say is my screen is mcu1 and has worked amazing the entire time although it’s a low mileage vehicle. Kudos to Tesla for doing the memory recall when I had the car in for service. It made the screen like a mcu2 car imo

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Car companies demo "features" all the time that don't actually end up in the production version. I don't ever remember seeing anything on Tesla's website promising Witcher or Steam back when the refresh S came out. Tesla also protects themselves by stating in the order language that they have the right to change features prior to delivery.
This was a video of the DELIVERY event.