Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean shiny salvage Tesla, should I buy this? - Noob question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear TMC,
I hope y'all can lend your expertise.

I am looking to buy this salvage Tesla model 3: https://www.copart.com/lot/43338679
I understand that initially the updates may not work, but that can be fixed. Also that I cannot get supercharging, which I don't need. Finally, I understand that my warranty is null and I'd pay out of pocket for all repairs.

What are you thoughts on this car? Should I consider it or stay far away? If I should buy it, what would be a "reasonable" offer?

Thank you for your time!

It's a huge risk. What happened to it? Flood?

Could be Battery or Drive Unit which will cost a fortune to fix.

It's hard to know why it's salvaged. I don't suspect it is a flood as it was first registered in MD, which has a low flooding risk I would have thought if it was the battery or drive unit, then Tesla would have originally covered it under their warranty and it wouldn't have been salvaged.

If it's not flood damage and... something else? (I don't even know what it would be based on the photos), it won't sell for very cheap. If it IS flood damage, don't walk away from it, run away from it. You don't want to deal with flood damage unless you really really know what you're doing.

EDIT: It also says the damage is 'NORMAL WEAR'... which is obviously not true since it has less than 1k miles on it. Something fishy there. Any idea what is with all the white spots all over? Is that salt staining?

If it's not flood damage and... something else? (I don't even know what it would be based on the photos), it won't sell for very cheap. If it IS flood damage, don't walk away from it, run away from it. You don't want to deal with flood damage unless you really really know what you're doing.

EDIT: It also says the damage is 'NORMAL WEAR'... which is obviously not true since it has less than 1k miles on it. Something fishy there. Any idea what is with all the white spots all over? Is that salt staining?

Absolutely agree, I'm not touching a flood damaged car. The carpets look clean and insurance companies don't clean their cars before auction - thus didn't feel it was flood damaged. I agree it won't sell really cheap, but a $20k salvage car feels better than a $50k new car?

Absolutely agree, I'm not touching a flood damaged car. The carpets look clean and insurance companies don't clean their cars before auction - thus didn't feel it was flood damaged. I agree it won't sell really cheap, but a $20k salvage car feels better than a $50k new car?

I'd be very surprised if a car in this condition goes for 20k only. There's plenty of Model 3's with airbags deployed and significant body damage that are going for 15k+. The battery and motor alone are worth way more than 20k, so anyone who's on the market for that should poach it for a lot more than that.

They tried to hide it, but I'm pretty sure the pack has been removed from the car. The usual sign of this is the car sitting higher than normal. They didn't give you any decent side shots, but comparing the quarter shots they did include and the ones you can find online, I do think the car is sitting high...

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC
They tried to hide it, but I'm pretty sure the pack has been removed from the car. The usual sign of this is the car sitting higher than normal. They didn't give you any decent side shots, but comparing the quarter shots they did include and the ones you can find online, I do think the car is sitting high...

If they removed the pack, it wouldn't be a 'run and drive' condition car. Car wouldn't move anywhere with no battery pack.

Reactions: tracksyde