TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Clean shiny salvage Tesla, should I buy this? - Noob question

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by salvageking, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. salvageking

salvageking Member

Dear TMC,
    I hope y'all can lend your expertise.

I am looking to buy this salvage Tesla model 3: https://www.copart.com/lot/43338679
    I understand that initially the updates may not work, but that can be fixed. Also that I cannot get supercharging, which I don't need. Finally, I understand that my warranty is null and I'd pay out of pocket for all repairs.

What are you thoughts on this car? Should I consider it or stay far away? If I should buy it, what would be a "reasonable" offer?

Thank you for your time!

2. salvageking

salvageking Member

Also, it is being sold by an insurance company that does give me some hope that its not a third party shill and it'll be stripped when I pick it up.

3. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

If the title is branded/salvaged the support from Tesla including, but not limited to, software updates and warranties will be limited or non-existent according to information I have received.

4. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

It's a huge risk. What happened to it? Flood?

Could be Battery or Drive Unit which will cost a fortune to fix.

5. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

Indeed! Battery and/or damage no bueno..... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

6. salvageking

salvageking Member

It's hard to know why it's salvaged. I don't suspect it is a flood as it was first registered in MD, which has a low flooding risk I would have thought if it was the battery or drive unit, then Tesla would have originally covered it under their warranty and it wouldn't have been salvaged.

7. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

If it's not flood damage and... something else? (I don't even know what it would be based on the photos), it won't sell for very cheap. If it IS flood damage, don't walk away from it, run away from it. You don't want to deal with flood damage unless you really really know what you're doing.

EDIT: It also says the damage is 'NORMAL WEAR'... which is obviously not true since it has less than 1k miles on it. Something fishy there. Any idea what is with all the white spots all over? Is that salt staining?

8. salvageking

salvageking Member

Absolutely agree, I'm not touching a flood damaged car. The carpets look clean and insurance companies don't clean their cars before auction - thus didn't feel it was flood damaged. I agree it won't sell really cheap, but a $20k salvage car feels better than a $50k new car?

9. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Active Member

Knowing the possibility of zero manufacturer warranty I would never own a salvage title Tesla.
    Your question of reasonable offer for that one? 5K.

• Like x 1
  10. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

I'd be very surprised if a car in this condition goes for 20k only. There's plenty of Model 3's with airbags deployed and significant body damage that are going for 15k+. The battery and motor alone are worth way more than 20k, so anyone who's on the market for that should poach it for a lot more than that.

11. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

They tried to hide it, but I'm pretty sure the pack has been removed from the car. The usual sign of this is the car sitting higher than normal. They didn't give you any decent side shots, but comparing the quarter shots they did include and the ones you can find online, I do think the car is sitting high...

• Helpful x 1
  12. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

If they removed the pack, it wouldn't be a 'run and drive' condition car. Car wouldn't move anywhere with no battery pack.

• Like x 1
  13. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

True. But also common for Teslas listed in Run and Drive on Copart.

14. salvageking

salvageking Member

Wow, just no winning on this front. Ugh, sure don't want to drive 11 hours to go see the car.

• Helpful x 1
  15. PACEMD

PACEMD Member

Those pictures are not all of the same car........

16. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Yeah it will go high just for parts alone. Probably to high for the risk of running it.

17. salvageking

salvageking Member

Why do you say that?

18. PACEMD

PACEMD Member

Because it' true. Look again.

19. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Because one of the last photos the car is clean? Looks like that picture is just taken before/after. Seems like the sticker in the top right is the same.

20. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Good catch.

Maybe it got lost during Enhanced Summon testing.

• Funny x 2