TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Clean shiny salvage Tesla, should I buy this? - Noob question

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by salvageking, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MrG_NY

MrG_NY Member

Maybe the car was a theft recovery.

2. salvageking

salvageking Member

The cleaner car photo is just when the car came in. The temp plates are still on it and in later photos it was ripped off. The Copart yards are really dirty. As Kirby64 stated, the stickers are the same lot number on the car.

• Like x 1
  3. RayK

RayK Active Member

I think that the only picture taken out of order is the ninth one (the nice clean and shiny photo). It has a front paper plate that is not visible in the other photos but the sticker on the window and yellow writing seems the same.

4. brobinson

brobinson Member

Are you seriously going to keep going on like this or just give away whatever your stupid point is?

• Like x 2
  5. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

How about pointing out what you think is different instead of being coy and playing games? This isn't a "find what's different" puzzle.

• Like x 2
  6. RayK

RayK Active Member

Okay, I've looked at all the pictures three times. Exactly what do you see that I don't? And please be specific.

• Like x 1
  7. salvageking

salvageking Member

I am entertaining this idea. Not sure how easy it is to sell given its all computerized?

8. SoCalDriver

SoCalDriver Member

Copart sells cars for insurance companies. It’s basically a junkyard. There is a ton of corruption there. There’s a reason they are selling it. I would take the bus every day before I would buy a car from them!

You have a better chance of winning Powerball than getting a good deal on a car there.

9. PACEMD

PACEMD Member

Ok, maybe you're right. I do now see the windshield sticker on both versions.

10. salvageking

salvageking Member

I've had really good experiences buying ICE cars from there in great condition after minor damage like a hail storm. There are some deals to be had.

11. PACEMD

PACEMD Member

Coy or snippy? What's your poison? The English language ain't a perfect medium.........

12. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

This my friend: go click through the pictures.

upload_2019-9-20_16-25-8.png

13. salvageking

salvageking Member

Are you talking about the paper temp plate from July that is missing? It probably was ripped off or melted away with all that dirt thats washed up on the car now.

14. RayK

RayK Active Member

Copart appears to have many lots across the country. My only dealing with them was when I donated my 2000 BMW 323i to Habitat for Humanity. Copart was the actual company that arranged pickup of the car and handled the paperwork.

For a "salvage" Model 3, that appears to have arrived at the Copart lot able to drive under its own power, I'd guess that something happened to the underside of the car (the only photos we don't have access to). It could have been dropped off a transporter or lift. Major suspension work might be needed. Or maybe one of the motors is damaged. Either way, I would only buy it to part it out.

• Like x 1
  15. PACEMD

PACEMD Member

Ok, listen. I was wrong. I know, weird, right? Did I mention that I was not correct in my analysis? I gonna say three Hail Mary's for starters, let me know what else I can do to make it up............

16. salvageking

salvageking Member

Also looking at where the car is located in the lot - it has been moved - from an area near a fence to a area between many other cars. Thus I didn't find it to be surprising that the pictures were different.

17. salvageking

salvageking Member

Yeah, this also could be the case. Anyone wanna make a $100 to go check it out lol? Probably right to not think of it for anything else than parts.

18. 5_+JqckQttqck

I'd be very concerned that it's deemed salvaged with under 300mi's.

Your choice to buy it and part it out or buy a donor and match the drive train. End of the project, you may have one working car and parts to sell.

19. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

The old motto: "If sounds to good to be true it probably is." definitely applies to used cars. Can you afford to be out 15 grand? If you can you can probably afford to buy a Tesla from more reliable source or new even.

Keep in mind that these people sell cars for a profit and they have a lot more experience selling than you'll ever have buying. They aren't going to come up short on the sale. That means this car is far worse than it appears.

20. 5_+JqckQttqck

He's the salvageking > likely his business to rebuild cars and sell for a profit :) - good hunting!