Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking & Clunking while Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I happened to find some model 3s today and as I was looking at them I heard what I believe was just one doing this clicking and clunking over and over about every 30 seconds or so. I didn't hear the other 4 cars that were there doing it. What is the final consensus on these noises? This is normal? Any reason why one of the cars was making the noise but not the others?

The noise occurs regardless of whether the car is plugged in or not
Any updates on this?
Have you brought it to SC?
I asked them about the constant fan running, this is what they gave me:

Concern: Customer states there is a humming noise coming from the front of the vehicle after

it has sat for a long period of time. (customer has video)

Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found

Recommend further diagnosing. Technician reviewed video and states the noise owner is

hearing is coming from the coolant pumps. The coolant pumps are meant to turn on to

keep the power converter cool. This is normal operation

Any updates on this?
Have you brought it to SC?
I asked them about the constant fan running, this is what they gave me:

Concern: Customer states there is a humming noise coming from the front of the vehicle after

it has sat for a long period of time. (customer has video)

Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found

Recommend further diagnosing. Technician reviewed video and states the noise owner is

hearing is coming from the coolant pumps. The coolant pumps are meant to turn on to

keep the power converter cool. This is normal operation

Haven’t taken it to the SC yet...but I heard that that they are replacing some inverter component

Haven’t taken it to the SC yet...but I heard that that they are replacing some inverter component
I asked them about that, they said "the PCS (assuming for the inverter replacement) is not a bulletin applied to my VIN range."
i do hear the clicking and clunking here and there, but what bothers me most is the constant whirring noise. It might be normal after driving, but i'm still hearing it at 9AM in the morning after parked for 9 hours inside garage with bluetooth off.
I"m seeing about 3% battery drain in from 10PM to 9AM, abnormally high compared to our MS. granted M3 does not have power saving mode enabled yet, which is enabled on our MS

It’s fine to say “don’t worry about it, it’s not harmful to the car”. However, my bedroom is just above our garage and it’s loud enough clunking all night to be disruptive. Usually it stops if I completely diable bluetooth on my phone and make the app focus on our S, but not always. It’s unacceptable.

Reactions: McFlurri
Could this be the noise everyone is hearing...

Nope, mine is the battery contactors. 99% sure. Sounds like a very large solenoid closing and opening.
I hear the contractors too and yes those are like a clunky sound.

But I also have the Louvre sounds. It is them opening and closing every 7-8 seconds. Happens when the car is parked and not in deep sleep. It does stop when in deep sleep. Butbos happening longer than it should.

Took delivery Jan 11. Phone key did not work day 1. More to that, the car would not appear on the app. Took me many calls and a days to have that resolved. Since then a number of phone key / noise / bluetooth issues have been detected.
1) Once phone key is set up, it will connect. Sometimes will randomly disconnect, and under phone key it can either show "set up your phone key" or "disconnected". Will not always allow to set up or connect - > use card to unlock
2) When phone key failed to unlock the car and phone key says "disconnected", the car will still start with just the break pedal engaged ! But sometimes it will require a tap on the card. See below.
3) When issue above is present, key card won't always work! Have to tap it a few times at a few slightly different (always different from previous) locations on the console to start the car.
4) Washed the car myself the other time, phone key was disconnected (not my wish, just was not working), but the car kept locking and unlocking itself, when I was going around it giving it a wipe. Mirrors folding, lights flashing. Unlocking or locking the car with the app did not stop this.
5) And as OP, I have noticed the noises in the car, click clug like noises, when I just go inside my garage to do laundry and have my phone one me. Phone key might be connected or disconnected at the time. No correlation what's so ever.
6) Damn app / phone key messed up my other bluetooth connections on my phone. My gps watches do not sync and bluetooth speaking wn't always pair/connect even if I delete or reboot everything and try to re-pair or connect.
Such a trouble child! Never had anything like this with Model S. Disabling Phone key is not fixing my issue - the car might unlock/lock even when the app says "phone key disconnected"! I
THIS IS TOO MUCH PAIN for >$50k! They need to fix this!
Brought into SC - was told they knew about the problem and that it would later be fixed over software, but still no fixes!

Here is a short video:

I work from home and yes I hear the clicking sounds. I have yet to figured out why it does that. Just a few observation on my side. I think it's locking or unlocking or motion sensor detect someone is near by. That loud fan noise you are hearing is the fan sucking air in if the AC is on or if it's too hot in your garage the vent open up to suck air in trying to cool your battery. Recommend clearing the plastic bag or anything in front of your car.

I got my car last week and noticed this sound as well. From what I’ve read so far, this is the normal sound when the car wakes up. It definitely does this when I launch the phone app (it even says “waking up” at the bottom at the same time the car is making these noises).

Will this happen even normally even when the phone should be out of range? I am fairly sure I’ve heard this with the phone upstairs. Is there any reason why the car would normally wake itself?

Thanks!

I got my car last week and noticed this sound as well. From what I’ve read so far, this is the normal sound when the car wakes up. It definitely does this when I launch the phone app (it even says “waking up” at the bottom at the same time the car is making these noises).

Will this happen even normally even when the phone should be out of range? I am fairly sure I’ve heard this with the phone upstairs. Is there any reason why the car would normally wake itself?

Thanks!
My car doesn’t make this sound when I approach it (at least not that I can tell). It only does it when I physically open the door.

Had to get my car towed less than 24hr after taking delivery due to “cannot maintain vehicle power” and “unable to drive”. What’s interesting is that I was hearing clanking/knocking noises when the AC was running and car was parked or not moving....no whirring sounds though. I thought maybe it was some solenoid or AC compressor trying to kick on. As the air was not getting cold. When I took it for a quick drive though, the air did get cold...and the sounds seemed to have disappeared when driving at least 5-6mph....and returning when stopped. Have a feeling the warning messages is somehow related to the AC. After seeing the OP video....maybe its the battery contractor not kicking on? Is there a seperate battery contractor for the AC?

Not charging or plugged in...not sure what is causing this.

I had some infotainment glitching today while driving...when I entered the 3 it took 30 seconds for the touchscreen to power on and then I heard static noise from the speakers...I couldn't get sound to work (even the turn signals didn't click) so I rebooted the center screen like the S/X and everything returned to normal.

But later in the day, when I shifted the car to drive, it kept on reverting to park but I resolved this by putting on my seat belt. It looks like the software is a little buggy hopefully they will be able to resolve this with some OTA updates.

Tesla needs to add the ability to disable phone-key in certain locations...such as my house. The car keeps on unlocking and locking...don't think that is good for the car.

Also, when I shift the car to park. The headlights flash like they did in the video....strange

Sounds like a service center visit.