Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, what is the best educated end date? What are the milestones we need to look for as things go forward?

We are already seeing the devastating effects of wars forcing mass migration into countries unable and in some cases unwilling to accept migration. What happens as the realities of temperature rising in some areas and falling in others? Ice meltings are increasing at alarming rates. When will immigration really begin to raise its ugly head due to global warming/climate change? Has it already?

I have thirty years left on a good day.:cool:

What do you tell the character that has all the money in the world that is building a subterranean fortress expecting to wait out the storm (global warming/climate change) so to say. How long will his family have to wait until CO2 levels rebalance. How long do they have to hold their breath? How long will it take for all the life forms that go extinct between now and then to return in bountiful numbers to begin shooting and harvesting again? Think that is a stupid question?

Leader Followers ~ we need to get to work. Find one more thing you can do or buy to help transform the spiral down;)

As for paid leaders, it is late, but time to get out in front of this beast ~ otherwise take full credit for the consequences:oops:
We're toast... it has already started.
Long slow decline and gradual extinction of all mammals first, then lower life forms to varying degrees.
Then a 100 million years or so of a carboniferous period to bring the CO2 back down to reasonable levels.
Finally, evolution of vertebrates, etc.

Reactions: S'toon
Long slow decline and gradual extinction of all mammals first, then lower life forms to varying degrees.
Then a 100 million years or so of a carboniferous period to bring the CO2 back down to reasonable levels.

There is still a chance: if the biggest threat* is completely eliminated tomorrow, then nature could still repair the balance in a few thousand years without complete reboot.

* by biggest threat and source of all trouble, I refer to the species designated by the rather misleading name: Homo Sapiens

I hope not.

The "great filter"? That point at which life fails to advance further, and possibly declines or becomes extinct. Perhaps you don't need to search to hard to find it; just look in the mirror and see the source of our own demise. The folly of human recklessness and conceits.

Among such hopelessness and despair, one can only hope that any future evolution of life on Earth will be better than that which came before.

I think barring resource wars which go nuclear some portion of the population will likely be able to survive even extreme climate changes. We are a quite adaptable species.
Yes, I'm sorry that I was being so pessimistic. Perhaps recent events from the idiot in chief have tainted my outlook.
Good likelihood that some of us will survive or escape to Mars... possibly just a very few.

The solution is quite simple. Release a devastating virus that wipes out (just) human life. No more cars, power plants. The oceans digest the plastics, the air washes out the acid, the landfills rot back into coal beds. Our cities and villages become eroding jungles See, quite simple. But the horror of such mass mayhem ...ick, can't seem to be willing to support this.

The solution is quite simple. Release a devastating virus that wipes out (just) human life. No more cars, power plants. The oceans digest the plastics, the air washes out the acid, the landfills rot back into coal beds. Our cities and villages become eroding jungles See, quite simple. But the horror of such mass mayhem ...ick, can't seem to be willing to support this.
More or less the plot of Margaret Atwood's Maddadam Trilogy.

Call me a fool, but there is a faint gilmer of hope.

My grandmother gave my mother crap about having me, probably saw my future:). My fathers flight crew had been the training crew for the crew that had dropped the first atomic bomb.

I have watched the ocean trash dump get bigger since it became public in the sixties. I have seen great leaders of men be assonated like JFK, and MLK. Maybe I need to find that sermon I gave on "Love" in 1970, dust it off and try it again. Do not get too damned excited it was my only sermon, my sermon on the rock.

If I were to follow my grandmothers thinking and most your comments, I would give up and commit suicde. But damn it, trust me I cuss way better and more often than that, there must be a way. We have been on the earth for two hundred thousand years or more and lived through some very major catastrophic events, not god driven, and evolved. You could say that mankind has given the common cockroach a run for his money. I have even heard someone referr to mankind as a parasite.

There are two major hurdles for progressive/scientific movements to overcome and the first is fear and the second is hate. Just ask General George Washington and President Abraham Lincoln. It took years to retool human thinking that world was in fact flat and not round ~ okay, just having some fun here ~ damn it lighten up:)

I watched a chicken figure out how to fly up to a small opening, go though the opening to get food. We had a hen that was breaking eggs before we had a chance to collect them. I tried a couple of Internet suggestions like blowing out eggs, and then filling them with soap or spicy hot sauce, but nothing seemed to work. So I divided the cage with a patch work of plywood except one small hole at the top corner. I gave the hen her own food and water and began enjoying our freshly laid eggs once again. Problem was, I forgot after a while about the problem hen since all seemed well ~ I forgot to feed her:-( I went out one day to find her back with the other hens. I rediscovered the hole I had not covered and all her water and food was gone. She had figured out how to get to where there was food. Chickens can think ~ oh, and she stopped breaking eggs:)

Have you ever asked why? I lived close to the Watts riots in the sixties and had a glimpse of wonder why the blacks did not go beyond a certain boundary. Then later in life I visited Yellow Stone National Park. Driving along a highway that paralleled a river I found a marker that said no fishing down river. I stopped the car to look at the thick trout mass swimming down river of an imaginary line and only one or two trout that ventured up river. In both cases it was fear and most certain death once crossing those imaginary lines, and they knew it.

We need to force ourselves beyond the fear of a flat world and embrace a multidimensional world. My trying to verbalize this is my attempt to get you off the dime and moving across that imaginary line and help we the people. FYI ~ those "we the people" are your sister, brother, mother, father, grandmother, grandfather and my granddaughter and grandson. "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself" according to President Woodrow Wilson, I believe.

If my chicken can, you can

Reactions: dhrivnak
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/where-have-all-insects-gone
Scientists have tracked alarming declines in domesticated honey bees, monarch butterflies, and lightning bugs. But few have paid attention to the moths, hover flies, beetles, and countless other insects that buzz and flitter through the warm months. "We have a pretty good track record of ignoring most noncharismatic species," which most insects are, says Joe Nocera, an ecologist at the University of New Brunswick in Canada. [...] A new set of long-term data is coming to light, this time from a dedicated group of mostly amateur entomologists who have tracked insect abundance at more than 100 nature reserves in western Europe since the 1980s. Over that time the group, the Krefeld Entomological Society, has seen the yearly insect catches fluctuate, as expected. But in 2013 they spotted something alarming. When they returned to one of their earliest trapping sites from 1989, the total mass of their catch had fallen by nearly 80%. Perhaps it was a particularly bad year, they thought, so they set up the traps again in 2014. The numbers were just as low. Through more direct comparisons, the group -- which had preserved thousands of samples over 3 decades -- found dramatic declines across more than a dozen other sites. Such losses reverberate up the food chain. "If you're an insect-eating bird living in that area, four-fifths of your food is gone in the last quarter-century, which is staggering," says Dave Goulson, an ecologist at the University of Sussex in the United Kingdom, who is working with the Krefeld group to analyze and publish some of the data. "One almost hopes that it's not representative -- that it's some strange artifact."

Pollinators (bees, butterflies) have been suffering for awhile, and one of the named culprits is Roundup that kills weeds, which in turn kills the pollinators. Our tendency to "Squash the bug"...may be our downfall.
Through another source, the magnetic north pole is drifting, and is threatening to flip to the south (again for the 7 time in earths history). Many species use the magnetic properties of earth to navigate during migration.
We humans have damaged the planet in so many ways...would it recover with our "help" or even if we humans evaporated?

All the trees will die, and then so will you.
All the Trees Will Die, and Then So Will You

@mspohr you had me at trout spies dead within 50 years:-(

My wife and I vacationed at Whistler, Canada prior to the Olympics ~ so a few years back. Bottom line, I was amazed at the vast dead pine trees ~ vast acreage of dead trees:-(

We live in the Pacific Northwest, moved here as I retired ('94) from the service from Germany wanting a similar environment ~ you know trees, rain, and everything green. Back around 2006 or 07, I managed to take a picture of two eagles perched at the top of a Doug fir tree. I used the picture and others including my Irish Setter, Finn, sitting in the front passenger seat of my truck eagerly waiting (coffee folks always gave him cookies) for me to go get my morning Latte'. I used these photos as an intro and human element about me as their college instructor in computer science classes. Bottom line here, is that about three years ago the top fifteen to twenty feet of the tree died without an apparent reason. We are assuming beatles:-( And the eagles have not returned to that tree. The good news is that we participated in our city 1,000 tree planting and added five trees along our property/street exposure back in 2010. No not good enough, but better than nothing.

Many people fail to see the forest for the dead trees. On our trip to Canada mentioned above, we were joined by my wife's parents and a couple that had been their friends forever. Even though we drove past those dead trees a couple of times during the week and a half we were there; neither of the two older couples ever appeared to notice or acknowledge the loss in any discernible way.

Right now, yes it's late, but my wife let me stay up anyway to write this out. During hours of daylight or full moonlight I can see the man made clear cut across from me. I have yet to see any deer over there. If you live in Orange County, California then you too can enjoy the views of clear cutting in your own back yard. That's absolutely correct! Because back when I was in elementary school we rode in school busses across town from Hawthorne to Knots Berry Farm, you know, before you had to pay admission fees, or the parachute ride. We drove past orchard after orchard of oranges and avocado trees.

When your '64 will your wife, husband, or significant other still love you and will you have any memories of trees. My wife and I are hoping to buy a few acres directly behind us here at the lake to keep the folks on the other side of the lake from having to look at a man made clear cut. The other ulterior motive is that our lake is primarily spring fed and since we are up hill from the lake we do not want our water supply contaminated. The benefit of a spring fed lake is it will remain colder than stream fed lakes. Therefore, our annually stocked lake should have trout around for awhile longer.

The state of Washington had as its appointed head of the Department of Transportation a very "I give a damn" person, but the senate fired her. Not because of enlisting my wife, the state senior Landscape Architect, to come up with a plan that incorporated freeway coordinators to enable Monarch Butterflies to migrate. Well the DOT chief got fired and my wife retired:-(. The best laid plans of mice and men.

Over the years my wife and I have planted five hundred or more trees, can you imagine the difference if couples planted just five trees together?

Ask not how much you can rip off Mother Earth, Ask how much it takes to give back to life ~ your life. Be grateful, not bitter you had a chance to visit here.

Here is an interesting approach to climate change. Technology is our ally in dealing with climate change. All fossil-fuel vehicles will vanish in 8 years in twin ‘death spiral’ for big oil and big autos, says study that’s shocking the industries

Question is, what impact does it have on slowing the spiral down caused by humans.

If you believe a virus could kill most of us off, and then Earth would have a reboot, watch the TV series the "The Last Ship." Interesting approach.
Switching transportation to EVs would have a large effect in reducing CO2 emissions.
(So would stopping eating meat.)
More likely that people will switch to EVs.

Switching transportation to EVs would have a large effect in reducing CO2 emissions.
(So would stopping eating meat.)
More likely that people will switch to EVs.

I only get steak night when my wife is not around for dinner. That only occurs once or maybe twice a month:) Not like the good old days :) Steak night back in the day when she ate steak too.

I am banking on EVs rewriting our demise.

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
Why I have a faint gilmer of saving Life here on Mother Earth.

Dr. Masaru Emoto through his scientific studies provides a glimpse into ourselves unlike no other and links that to the world around us. Please review masaru emoto

Our bodies are roughly 80% water, and we are supposed to drink roughly five to eight glasses of water a day. The average Doug fir has roughly five hundred gallons of water per tree. Hopefully I am not too far off on my numbers here. Maybe an arborist can more accurately inform us. So if you look around, water is in everything ~ almost like Water World, okay not really. Just having a little fun:)

The President is visiting Saudi Arabia how many trees do you see in the pictures? If I am not mistaken that region of the world used to be forested. Clearly must have had life is some form based on all the oil. Large animals cannot survive without vegetation for the meat eaters.

Can we focus our positive energy on healing our water sources? Smog and acid rain do not help us.

Dr. Emoto gives all new meaning to holy water, as long it has the focus of love and not a blessing aimed at a money making gimmick. Gives a whole new meaning to spreading the love.

Why I have a faint gilmer of saving Life here on Mother Earth.

Dr. Masaru Emoto through his scientific studies provides a glimpse into ourselves unlike no other and links that to the world around us. Please review masaru emoto

Our bodies are roughly 80% water, and we are supposed to drink roughly five to eight glasses of water a day. The average Doug fir has roughly five hundred gallons of water per tree. Hopefully I am not too far off on my numbers here. Maybe an arborist can more accurately inform us. So if you look around, water is in everything ~ almost like Water World, okay not really. Just having a little fun:)

The President is visiting Saudi Arabia how many trees do you see in the pictures? If I am not mistaken that region of the world used to be forested. Clearly must have had life is some form based on all the oil. Large animals cannot survive without vegetation for the meat eaters.

Can we focus our positive energy on healing our water sources? Smog and acid rain do not help us.

Dr. Emoto gives all new meaning to holy water, as long it has the focus of love and not a blessing aimed at a money making gimmick. Gives a whole new meaning to spreading the love.
Yes, there is water everywhere. Some fresh, some salty, some frozen. Man can only drink fresh. There are plants and animals that thrive on salt (the ocean is full of them). We have figured out way to put stuff into water that contaminates it. Using man-made tools (filters, osmosis), we can remove most of those contaminates. The trick is to make drinking water available where consumption is, and to make irrigation water cheap, and not to confuse the two destinies. The natural weather cycles distill tons of rain water, that sometimes lands where it can be used. We have built dams to help irrigation, but have hurt migration patterns. (read Cadillac Desert to hear the many good/bad tradeoffs - but no solution to this knot).
I worry that man-today- is interested in making maximum profit and letting the damage fall onto the future. Imperial Vally grows a tremendous bounty, but its waste continues to foul Salton Sea. The man of tomorrow has not yet raised his hand. Im pessimistic about the future.