Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fossil fuel industry spent nearly $2 billion to kill U.S. climate action, new study finds

$2 billion lobbying since 2000 by fossil fuel industry has killed climate change legislation in the US
Not just lobbying our lawmakers at Federal and State/County/City level.
Try an internet search:

Koch brothers electric car

Pick your favorite sources. Take time to scan the pages of results - interesting/informative reading for sure.
[Makes you wonder if Bob Lutz being inspired by Tesla to build the Volt turns around and attacks Tesla almost non-stop is paid by Koch?]

here is one interesting/informative result I found - perhaps many Electric Utilities have similar pages?
Puget Sound Energy is in the Seattle, WA area:
Electric cars
really is worth a visit - good info

Reactions: mspohr
Unfortunately - I can understand why someone would try to protect their job, their income, their way-of-life at the expense of the rest of society. Oil men, car manufactures, climate deniers.... I can understand short-sellers that make money by killing Tesla. I can understand eating hot dogs that clog my arteries because it tastes good. I cant understand voting against your interests, yet I see it in so many conditions. If I think about it too much, it is downright depressing. But it is understandable. It is easier than facing reality and sacrificing my comfort for the good of the many.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
It's the palm oil.
People don't realize that palm oil is in most commercial baked goods (cookies, cakes, etc.) as well as cosmetics. This demand drives tropical deforestation.
Just say no to palm oil. It's not hard to give up cheap sugar and white flour baked goods and it will improve your health. It can be tricky to find palm oil in what you buy so you need to look for:
1. Elaeis guineensis
2. Etyl palmitate
3. Glyceryl
4. Hydrogenated palm glycerides
5. Octyl palmitate
6. Palm fruit oil
7. Palm kernel
8. Palm kernel oil
9. Palm stearine
10. Palmate
11. Palmitate
12. Palmitic acid
13. Palmitoyl oxostearamide
14. Palmitoyl tetrapeptide-3
15. Palmityl alcohol
16. Palmolein
17. Sodium kernelate
18. Sodium laureth sulfate
19. Sodium lauryl lactylate/sulphate
20. Sodium lauryl sulfate
21. Sodium palm kernelate
22. Stearate
23. Stearic acid
More:
Palm Oil's Dirty Secret: The Many Ingredient Names For Palm Oil

It is also not hard to find alternative vegetable oils.
If you make something yourself, it's easy to find good healthy oils (canola, olive, etc.). Unfortunately, most of the stuff you find in the grocery uses palm oil because it's cheap and solid at room temperature (also solid in your arteries, high in saturated fat... especially in the processed form used in prepared foods).

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
If you make something yourself, it's easy to find good healthy oils (canola, olive, etc.). Unfortunately, most of the stuff you find in the grocery uses palm oil because it's cheap and solid at room temperature (also solid in your arteries, high in saturated fat... especially in the processed form used in prepared foods).
Ahh ... grocery store bought baked goods. Yes, I forgot about those since they are so rare in my house .... I think. I'll have to look at the crackers.

.....meanwhile back at my house the last frost was more than TWO MONTHS early this year (Feb instead of May 15). I've been gardening for decades and have seen the seasons move more and more every year. This year has been beyond anything I've ever experienced. I can't keep enough water down (we only get 6" rain per year here), basically no winter (bugs are voracious), plants can't take in enough water, night time temps don't cool down, flowering has essentially stopped, tomato flavor is almost as bad as the grocery store. This is much, much worse than the worst droughts in the mid-70s. Fortunately, I started my seeds in DECEMBER and JANUARY, so I was able to get a few crops before the 100-110F temps hit. Now, I'm starting the third crop of a few things (again inside because most seeds won't sprout at these temps). I'll probably wait until Sept to start lettuce, since it will wilt in the Oct/Nov heat (wow, even writing that seems strange since out first frost is supposed to be Oct 15). It's definitely a significant amount of change. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be in other parts of the world (especially those who don't have a mile-wide river running past their community).

It's a shame I have to put so much faith and hope in Tesla to address climate change. So many deniers still, and politicians and leaders with the will speak volumes but can't seem to figure out how to convert that into actual tangible action. The nuclear industry has potential but fails at every turn to reach it. Miserably. There is no group I have been more disappointed by. They are utter failures. Meanwhile, Tesla singlehandedly has been making a clean sustainable future a reality -- built the cars, built the infrastructure, built the technology for large scale stationary storage, is getting more and more into building the solar, and when they save the whole world by themselves despite the oppositions of coal rollers, big company and billionaire haters, and Wall Street vampires, Elon WILL be the f$#^*$^# Iron Man.

canola oil? I'd do a little more research/reading about canola oil. And always be careful to keep the heat down when cooking with oils, right?

canola oil? I'd do a little more research/reading about canola oil. And always be careful to keep the heat down when cooking with oils, right?
FYI, as an attempt to reduce carbon footprint, I tried to reduce my use of olive oil that has been transported thousands of miles before it reaches my plate. I've found a local business (Home) that turns local grapeseed waste into cooking oils. Since they are local, I can actually meet the owner at a local grocery store, saving shipping costs/emissions. I don't have any conflict of interest. Oh, and the oils are actually very good, better than olive oil.

FYI, as an attempt to reduce carbon footprint, I tried to reduce my use of olive oil that has been transported thousands of miles before it reaches my plate. I've found a local business (Home) that turns local grapeseed waste into cooking oils. Since they are local, I can actually meet the owner at a local grocery store, saving shipping costs/emissions. I don't have any conflict of interest. Oh, and the oils are actually very good, better than olive oil.
Olive trees on the organic farm I'm at. [but the Lamas keep eating them ;-( ]

interesting;
Grapeseed oil can be a good substitute for olive oil at times when stir-frying and sauteing, and it's definitely a step up from vegetable oils. ... So you might have to pay a bit more for a high-quality grapeseed oil, but it's worth it. When it comes to cooking, grapeseed oil is a better choice than olive oil.Nov 15, 2015

And finding the "truth" about canola not so easy
The Inconvenient Truth About Canola Oil

thanks.

Olive trees on the organic farm I'm at. [but the Lamas keep eating them ;-( ]

interesting;
Grapeseed oil can be a good substitute for olive oil at times when stir-frying and sauteing, and it's definitely a step up from vegetable oils. ... So you might have to pay a bit more for a high-quality grapeseed oil, but it's worth it. When it comes to cooking, grapeseed oil is a better choice than olive oil.Nov 15, 2015

And finding the "truth" about canola not so easy
The Inconvenient Truth About Canola Oil

thanks.
That's a pretty dodgy website. Short on science and long on conspiracy. I wouldn't believe it.

That's a pretty dodgy website. Short on science and long on conspiracy. I wouldn't believe it.
I'd stick with your grape seed oil. I'll stick with my California Olive oil and coconut oil. But, if he markets in the Seattle area, let me know the name, I'd love to try it. thanks.

If I really cared to use canola - here is what I'd research:
" Unfortunately, about two-thirds of the monounsaturated fatty acids in rapeseed oil are erucic acid, a 22-carbon monounsaturated fatty acid that had been associated with Keshan’s disease, which causes fibrotic lesions on the heart."

thanks again.