Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'4°C of global warming is optimal' – even Nobel Prize winners are getting things catastrophically wrong
William Nordhaus was awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in Economics for “integrating climate change into long-run macroeconomic analysis”. This implies that he worked out what global heating means for our economy, given what climate scientists say will happen to our planet. But Nordhaus’s predictions of what global heating will cost the earth are dangerously at odds with the science.

In his Nobel Prize lecture, Nordhaus described a 4°C increase in global average temperature as “optimal” — that is, the point at which the costs and benefits of mitigating climate change are balanced.

Scientists and climate advisers condemn Tory environmental record

The Conservative party’s record on tackling the climate crisis has been condemned by leading scientists and former government advisers, as the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, warned that the forthcoming election was the last chance to halt the escalating emergency.

Experts accused the Conservatives of copying rightwing politicians in the US by deliberately weakening environmental protections. Meanwhile, analysis by Labour reveals that environmental policies put forward since 2017 and opposed by the Tories would have led to emissions reductions of over 70m tonnes a year by 2030 – more than the annual emissions of Portugal.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
OT: There's not even two sexes, let alone two genders.

Intersex - Wikipedia

And the typical right-wing "whatever parts the baby has at birth" argument doesn't even work here, because the parts aren't necessarily one or the other. The typical right-wing "whatever chromosomes the baby has" argument doesn't even work here, because those aren't necessarily one or the other either.

OT: There's not even two sexes, let alone two genders.

Intersex - Wikipedia

And the typical right-wing "whatever parts the baby has at birth" argument doesn't even work here, because the parts aren't necessarily one or the other. The typical right-wing "whatever chromosomes the baby has" argument doesn't even work here, because those aren't necessarily one or the other either.
I'm reasonably sure that complete absence of X chromosome is not a viable fetus so the Rightards should demand that all people be treated as females since the X chromosome is probably the only thing that can be relied on to be present.

Amazon deforestation 'at highest level in a decade'

The assault on the planet’s biggest terrestrial carbon sink by land-grabbers, agribusiness, miners and loggers is accelerating. In the year until 30 July 2019, 9,762 sq kms were lost, an increase of 29.5% over the previous 12 months, the Brazilian space agency INPE said.

Environmental groups blamed the government for “every inch of the increase because it weakened environmental protections, supported loggers and encouraged land-grabbing”.

“It is no surprise this is happening because the president has defended environmental crime and promoted impunity,” said Adriana Ramos of the Socio-environmental Institute.

Get YOUR house in order. Systemic change is needed but that doesn't mean you should sit back and wait for your problems to be solved for you. Since Xcel sadly limits how much I can export I've recently effectively gone 'off-grid' I now export ~90% of what I produce and a separate off-grid system powers most of my house and car charging needs. Last week I removed my gas lines which I had disconnected ~5 years ago.

Greta Is Right: Study Shows Individual Lifestyle Change Boosts Systemic Climate Action

Haven't had a chance to digest it but the headline on this study from the Environmental Defense Fund is interesting.

@Paracelsus you might be interested ....

100+ hydro plants have greater warming impacts than fossil fuels: EDF study

Thanks for the heads-up @EinSV - That is an interesting read. And it is only focused on the emission of CO2 and methane from Hydroelectric plants as a potential source of global warming. As the paradigm shifts and we accelerate solar + storage and wind energy on the grid I wonder if we will see any studies discussing the warming impacts of hydro simply from solar gain on the larger reservoirs where fast moving, cold rivers once ran all the way to the ocean. The scale of some of the recent battery storage projects is now as large as many of the bigger hydro turbines that are used, so the day will come IMO when a conscious decision can be made regarding whether or not we want our rivers to flow free again, and if a constant titration of colder water back into the ocean might just be a good thing since the oceans......and the planet are heating up.

As Aldo Leopold reminded us in his Sand County Almanac - “The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the pieces.”

Reactions: mspohr and EinSV
Thanks for the heads-up @EinSV - That is an interesting read. And it is only focused on the emission of CO2 and methane from Hydroelectric plants as a potential source of global warming. As the paradigm shifts and we accelerate solar + storage and wind energy on the grid I wonder if we will see any studies discussing the warming impacts of hydro simply from solar gain on the larger reservoirs where fast moving, cold rivers once ran all the way to the ocean. The scale of some of the recent battery storage projects is now as large as many of the bigger hydro turbines that are used, so the day will come IMO when a conscious decision can be made regarding whether or not we want our rivers to flow free again, and if a constant titration of colder water back into the ocean might just be a good thing since the oceans......and the planet are heating up.

As Aldo Leopold reminded us in his Sand County Almanac - “The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the pieces.”
For quite a while there has been a movement to remove dams because of all of the environmental damage they cause. This study highlights some of the impacts of dams. It could be that dams will go the way of nuclear... touted as "green" but not really.
Probably best to focus on wind and solar... and batteries.

Reactions: Paracelsus
Fossil fuel production on track for double the safe climate limit

We’re in a deep hole over the climate crisis and we need to stop digging,’ warn experts

The world’s nations are on track to produce more than twice as much coal, oil and gas as can be burned in 2030 while restricting rise in the global temperature to 1.5C, analysis shows.

The report is the first to compare countries’ stated plans for fossil fuel extraction with the goals of the Paris climate agreement, which is to keep global heating well below 2C above pre-industrial levels, and to aim for 1.5C. It exposes a huge gap, with fossil fuel production in 2030 heading for 50% more than is consistent with 2C, and 120% more than that for 1.5C.

The climate science is clear: it's now or never to avert catastrophe | Bill McKibben

The one thing never to forget about global warming is that it’s a timed test.

It’s ignoble and dangerous to delay progress on any important issue, of course – if, in 2020, America continues to ignore the healthcare needs of many of its citizens, those people will sicken, die, go bankrupt. The damage will be very real. But that damage won’t make it harder, come 2021 or 2025 or 2030, to do the right thing about healthcare.

But the climate crisis doesn’t work like that. If we don’t solve it soon, we will never solve it, because we will pass a series of irrevocable tipping points – and we’re clearly now approaching those deadlines. You can tell because there’s half as much ice in the Arctic, and because forests catch fire with heartbreaking regularity and because we see record deluge. But the deadlines are not just impressionistic – they’re rooted in the latest science.

It is just a hunch based on US hydroelectric experience, but I personally would expect that the number of hydroelectric dams world-wide that contribute to warming our oceans as a result of thermal gains on the river systems to exceed the 10% estimated in that study (river temps before dam construction vs river temp after dam construction)

One major health issue with Hydro dams is not related to climate:
La question du mercure pour Hydro-Québec | Hydro-Québec

As for climate, the dams in Canada are mostly built out, the reservoir lakes are now part of the new environmental conditions we live.
I for one don't want to see them go, better to ween off the final amount of gas and coal used in Canada and not expand big hydro.

Locally produced electricity is not cheaper than the largest scale hydro built out since 1950:
Letter: The woe of Muskrat Falls | The Telegram

Churchill Falls is approximately 0.2 cents per kilowatt hour

However, building NEW generation is far more expensive :

the cost of Muskrat Falls will be subsidized by other sources of government