Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The science may be basic but are the projections accurate? Will the earth will continue heating until 2300 even if reduction goals are met? If so, I would say that this is far from trivial.

Who is saying the Earth won't continue heating? Stopping our pathetic addiction to fools fuel won't immediately stop the warming. A lot of the damage can't be avoided. 3' of sea level rise is bad and that's probably unavoidable at this point. 10' is catastrophic and we should be able to avoid that if we kick our pathetic addition to fools fuel. Every foot of sea level rise is non-trivial.

Who is saying the Earth won't continue heating? Stopping our pathetic addiction to fools fuel won't immediately stop the warming. A lot of the damage can't be avoided. 3' of sea level rise is bad and that's probably unavoidable at this point. 10' is catastrophic and we should be able to avoid that if we kick our pathetic addition to fools fuel. Every foot of sea level rise is non-trivial.
Yep. Most climate action groups are now taking a double edged approach - reduction/elimination of fossil fuel usage through incentives and legislation, and adaptation planning for the damage that has already been done and will continue. At this point, they are equally important.

Reactions: nwdiver
"Who is not the question I was going after. In reference to a study up thread I asked "Will the earth will continue heating until 2300 even if reduction goals are met?" If so, I would say that this is far from trivial.

You're right... it's not 'trivial'. It's irrelevant. The warming will be worse the higher CO2 concentration is... how long that lasts or when it stops is irrelevant. The warming, sea level rise and all the other bonuses the come with our pathetic addiction to fools fuel will be worse the higher CO2 concentration gets.

Can anyone say with certainty how much damage is inevitable? No. What IS certain is that 450ppm is exponentially worse than 350 and 500 is exponentially worse than 450ppm.

Reactions: mspohr
Finally, the public wants action on the climate crisis. Now politics must catch up

In Canada, politics did catch up, 70% of the electorate voted for policies related to climate change, with voters specifically highlighting climate change as one of their top 3 issues in the recent election that produced a minority government held responsible by three minor parties with climate change as primary issues.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
You're right... it's not 'trivial'. It's irrelevant. The warming will be worse the higher CO2 concentration is... how long that lasts or when it stops is irrelevant.

I am surprised that this type of analysis and data is irrelevant. How does one make difficult and effective policy decisions affecting millions or billions if you are ignorant, uninterested or ignore the length or severity part of the equation?

I am surprised that this type of analysis and data is irrelevant. How does one make difficult and effective policy decisions affecting millions or billions if you are ignorant, uninterested or ignore the length or severity part of the equation?

You're right... no one should buy health insurance unless they have some type of analysis and data on when they're going to get sick and how much it's going to cost them.....

The great thing about common sense stuff like not being addicted to idiotic things like meth or fools fuel is in the long run the cost is <$0 and you still get to enjoy all the benefits of not behaving like a moron. You don't really need any analysis or data. The cost of not using fools fuel is <<<< than the cost using it. How much <<<<< doesn't really matter.

The warming will be worse the higher CO2 concentration is... how long that lasts or when it stops is irrelevant.

The nuclear industry has had a policy with regards to radiation called ALARA for >40 years. There is no 'analysis or data' supporting this other than Radiation is bad and 10Rem is worse than 9Rem. CO2 is no different except we need ~280ppm. CO2 >350ppm is bad. 450ppm is worse than 400ppm. The 'analysis and data' say we need to get back to 280 - 350. How soon? ASAP. If 350ppm is unachievable then we need to get as close as we can as soon as we can. How soon? ASAP.

We know that higher CO2 levels will cause more sea level rise and more severe floods and droughts because physics. Explain how it's even remotely ethical to force future generations to gamble on how bad when we have viable alternatives to fools fuel....

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr
You're right... no one should buy health insurance unless they have some type of analysis and data on when they're going to get sick and how much it's going to cost them.....
False equivalent,. Your decision to insure yourself only impacts yourself, without a cost incurred to others (atleast in first-order sense), unlike statewide policies as discussed here.

Further, the insurance company for damn sure does analysis on the likelihood and your severity of getting sick, to set their premiums...
The great thing about common sense stuff like not being addicted to idiotic things like meth or fools fuel is in the long run the cost is <$0 and you still get to enjoy all the benefits of not behaving like a moron
If everything was positive and perfect with all pros and no cons, then everybody would have already done it. That is common sense. Except its not the case.

You don't really need any analysis or data. The cost of not using fools fuel is <<<< than the cost using it
Your first sentence doesnt jive with your second.

Climate-heating greenhouse gases hit new high, UN reports

Climate-heating greenhouse gases hit new high, UN reports

The jumps in the key gases measured in 2018 were all above the average for the last decade, showing action on the climate emergency to date is having no effect in the atmosphere. The WMO said the gap between targets and reality were both “glaring and growing”.

• Informative
Reactions: Norbert
If everything was positive and perfect with all pros and no cons, then everybody would have already done it. That is common sense. Except its not the case.

Your first sentence doesnt jive with your second.

People do lots of idiotic things that are ~all cons with very few pros. Meth, Tobacco and Fools Fuel vs wind or solar in 2019 are just a few. Our addiction to fools fuel is like Meth for our future....

'Analysis and data' refers to climate change effects >200 years out.

The science may be basic but are the projections accurate? Will the earth will continue heating until 2300 even if reduction goals are met? If so, I would say that this is far from trivial.

How bad is it going to be? Bad. How Bad? Doesn't really matter. The near term cost of using fools fuel is far higher than not using fools fuel.

Last edited:
SDRick said: ↑

So you came back with..

Yours is a rather weak analogy that somehow twists my thoughts for you to conclude that therefore no one should buy health insurance??? I was advocating using the best data available for decision-making, so using your analogy whether to buy health insurance may depend on your nationality\country of residence, availability and quality of health care, religious beliefs, health, age and the cost of insurance in relation to your income or savings etc. For me, those factors would not be irrelevant. Perhaps for you they are.

While analogies are not always particularly accurate they can be somewhat illustrative. You started with a health analogy so let me try one that may fit our discussion. Allow me the license...

A couple of hikers are in the wilderness and feel they may have a medical emergency. Fortunately they have cell reception and are able to get Dr nwdiver and Dr SDRick on the phone.

hiker "Dr., we are in the wilderness and my partners temperature is going up and is bleeding.
nwd "you must get the temperature and bleeding under control ASAP"
hiker "yes Dr. but how?"
nwd "can you describe the bleeding?"
hiker "irrelevant"
nwd "how long has your partner been bleeding, how severe is it?
hiker "irrelevant"
nwd "is there a lot of blood loss?
hiker "irrelevant"
nwd " how far are you from a hospital or airport"
hiker "irrelevant"
nwd "OK, I need you to put on a tourniquet above the wound"
hiker "I don't want my partner to lose his limb"
nwd "irrelevant"
hiker "will the bleeding stop"?
rick "no matter what, the bleeding always stops".

I realize that the analogy has flaws and not perfectly germane but thanks for letting me have a little fun. So let's not focus too much on that and for the sake of argument we can stipulate that you are correct that policy and decision makers should not be concerned with the data you first deemed irrelevant. Fine. So let's focus instead on the "ASAP" part of your statement as you like to say. The devils are in the details but almost everyone prefers not burning fossils given a better alternative (unless fossil fuel is part of your livelihood).

So again, give me a little leeway. You say ASAP, but what does that mean? The soonest and most radical ASAP approach that I can possibly imagine would be some kind of executive or governmental order tomorrow that would ban the use, sale and transportation of fossil fuels. We can debate the ethics but chaos would ensue, the economy would collapse, people would die but there eventually would be some semblance of order and survival. But then of course there is China and India and the rest would need to follow suit. So forget the fantasy.

Perhaps you might mean ASAP as in as soon as practical? That makes a little more sense, but what does that mean? Many here agree that the true cost of our addiction is not reflected in the cost of fossil fuels. For informed decisions we do need to account for these externalities just as we do need cost-benefit analysis (with data you deem irrelevant). So now all we have to do is come up with the best policy to implement a withdrawal from our nasty addiction ASAP.

Easy- peasy.

You say ASAP, but what does that mean? The soonest and most radical ASAP approach that I can possibly imagine would be some kind of executive or governmental order tomorrow that would ban the use, sale and transportation of fossil fuels.

.... ASAP means As soon as POSSIBLE.

Here's the trouble with your perspective.... its fodder for apologists.

Here are a couple things we can/should do TOMORROW.

- STOP ALL manufacturing of ICE passenger cars. Can't afford an EV... ok... buy used.
- Establish an exponentially increasing tax on fools fuel. Let the market start sorting out solutions.​

Just those two things would get us ~90% of to where we CAN be. That's not going to 'collapse the economy' or cause 'chaos'.

How bad things will be in 2300 is absolutely irrelevant. The severity of the situation is such that even doing everything we reasonably can we should STILL be doing MUCH... MUCH more. It's endlessly frustrating to see people STILL buying new ICE... STILL digging the hole deeper... it's absolutely pathetic. I don't know what's wrong with people.... they're either sociopaths or morons..... the clock is ticking and we're not moving at even 10% the speed we should be..............

I realize that the analogy has flaws

LOL! That's an understatement. If you call 911 with a medical emergency they get to you....

AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

The EMTs drop what they're doing and move. They generally don't ask if you can wait an hour until halftime. If they can get to you in 10 minutes they get to you in 10. They don't tabulate how long until your medical condition is irreversible.

And if you want a more accurate response to your terrible analogy... we're past the point where the belt should be been cinched on the limb and a 'T' scrawled on the forehead in blood. Losing a limb or a few points of economic growth is now the least of our concerns.

That's where we are with climate... time to make it a priority. No more ICE Corvettes, Cameros or Mustangs. Fools fuel has got to go.... ASAP.

And you started this tangent with this....

Ok.... so rough estimates are that best case we're looking at a ~10' rise in sea levels with 60' if we do absolutely nothing. So..... given that reality.... you think it's reasonable to do LESS and settle on 20'???? You think it would be ethical to compromise somehow? Where did you expect that question to lead? No matter how much we do we should have done more. That's why it's irrelevant.

If someone calls 911 and says 'I just got shot 2 - 5 times'.... are the EMTs going to ask if it's 2 or 5? If it's 5 are they going to respond faster than if it was 2? That's why it's irrelevant.

Last edited:
UN calls for push to cut greenhouse gas levels to avoid climate chaos

UN calls for push to cut greenhouse gas levels to avoid climate chaos

Countries must make an unprecedented effort to cut their levels of greenhouse gases in the next decade to avoid climate chaos, the UN has warned, as it emerged that emissions hit a new high last year.

Global emissions must fall by 7.6% every year from now until 2030 to stay within the 1.5C ceiling on temperature rises that scientists say is necessary to avoid disastrous consequences.

.... ASAP means As soon as POSSIBLE.

If someone calls 911 and says 'I just got shot 2 - 5 times'.... are the EMTs going to ask if it's 2 or 5? If it's 5 are they going to respond faster than if it was 2? That's why it's irrelevant.

Again, even in your own analogy you are missing relevant data and other important parts of the equation to make the best decision possible. To cut to the chase and keep it simple, in your example do the decision and policy makers send out a helicopter or an ambulance? You might think it's irrelevant but it is very relevant to the guy who was shot, those involved in the treatment and those paying for it.

Again, even in your own analogy you are missing relevant data and other important parts of the equation to make the best decision possible. To cut to the chase and keep it simple, in your example do the decision and policy makers send out a helicopter or an ambulance? You might think it's irrelevant but it is very relevant to the guy who was shot, those involved in the treatment and those paying for it.
And the analogy is irrelevant to this thread.

Again, even in your own analogy you are missing relevant data and other important parts of the equation to make the best decision possible.

The best decision possible is to kick our fools fuel addiction as soon as possible.... what 'data' would change that?

If someone reports a person is having a heart attack to 911 the EMTs need to get to them ASAP. Is there information that would make them go slower? ASAP is ASAP.

But ASAP seems to be a reoccurring and relevant theme in this thread. So tell me, in nwdivers analogy, how would the decision be made to send the helicopter or the ambulance?

Yeah... send the helicopter.