Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For quite a while there has been a movement to remove dams because of all of the environmental damage they cause. This study highlights some of the impacts of dams. It could be that dams will go the way of nuclear... touted as "green" but not really.
Probably best to focus on wind and solar... and batteries.
As an aside, the Conowingo dam is on the Susquehanna river, right at the head of the Chesapeake bay, ( flows past the 3 mile island nuclear disaster which flows into and forms the Chesapeake bay, going past Baltimore, Washington DC and Norfolk/Newport news.)
There is so much sediment behind the dam that folks are quietly freaking out about “what to do?”

As an aside, the Conowingo dam is on the Susquehanna river, right at the head of the Chesapeake bay, ( flows past the 3 mile island nuclear disaster which flows into and forms the Chesapeake bay, going past Baltimore, Washington DC and Norfolk/Newport news.)
There is so much sediment behind the dam that folks are quietly freaking out about “what to do?”
All dams eventually silt up and become useless and dangerous and need to be removed.

Re-greening: can Louisville plant its way out of a heat emergency?

study commissioned by Louisville in 2015 found that the city had lost 54,000 trees a year between 2004 and 2012, reducing the city’s canopy cover from 40% to 37% over the period. Today, canopy cover is likely to be around 27%, according to Cindi Sullivan, executive director and president of the nonprofit TreesLouisville.

Trees provide shade while also lowering the temperature of their surroundings through evaporative cooling. Without action, it is feared the tree canopy will continue to decline as trees fall due to storms, pests and age – a scenario that could see the city’s rapid warming continue, alongside a number of other deleterious effects.

• Informative
Reactions: ggies07
Climate always changes so nobody is denying. Listening to people like Bernie tell me the world will end in 8-9 years is amusing. Or AOC 12 years. Whatever. Man, I would think Obama, the God of GW religion would not have spent millions on an ocean front property with things so dire. Actually oceanfront has gone way up in value last 10 years. So maybe a good decision for him. Even this thread mentions Global Warming because it started in 2013, before the projections fell flat. Never even hear the term GW mentioned anymore. :) But yea, I'm the gullible one :) HAve a nice day :)

But yea, I'm the gullible one
You sure are. No one said the world was ending in 8-12 years, what they said is we have about that much time to take action before seriously negative effects start impacting human civilization. Plus I hate to break it to you but Obama's property is quite a way back from the beach, and he can probably afford flood insurance.

Reactions: mspohr
New You sure are. No one said the world was ending in 8-12 years, what they said is we have about that much time to take action before seriously negative effects start impacting human civilization.
My take is somewhat different: I understand the 10 years to be a threshold by which earth has to markedly reduce carbon emissions (by some 50%) to avoid tipping points. After that more reductions and more deadlines will have to be dealt with.

Climate always changes so nobody is denying.
Actually, quite a few people in this thread have denied that it is warming at all. Many Republican leaders are denying it. The President of the US denies it. If there's a cold winter day, that's evidence to some that it's not warming. If extreme weather events are attributable to climate change, people deny it. There is no consistent stance on climate denial, because it's merely built out of doubt.

Finally, the public wants action on the climate crisis. Now politics must catch up

Finally, the public wants action on the climate crisis. Now politics must catch up | Stephen Buranyi

A cosy consensus among politicians allowed lofty targets to be set, and then ignored. But now voters want actual solutions

But after an unprecedented wave of popular climate protests – centred around the latest and most terrifying scientific predictions – recent polling suggests that orthodoxy has suddenly and dramatically reversed. A YouGov poll found that more than half the country backs a national target of zero carbon emissions by 2030, a policy that as recently as a year ago was offered only by the Green party. Other polls suggest that two-thirds of the country believes the climate crisis is the biggest issue facing humankind, and that it has overtaken the economy on voters’ list of concerns.

These visions are likely to be attacked by some as reckless, or ineffectual. But they are serious proposals because they place their policies within a political vehicle familiar to each party’s voters, and to the wider public. They indicate that the climate crisis may be about to descend from the lofty realm of consensus into the arena of real politics. That can only happen when the public is given – or demands – a proper democratic choice.

Reactions: ladysbff