Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leave it to the kids of Montana, and thanks for those that wrote it's constitutional amendment. A great story about those who wrote it. Hugs all around. I know it's just a start.
Screenshot_20230814-131953.png

Methane was about 0.7 parts per million (ppm) of the air before humans began burning fossil fuels. Now it is over 1.9 ppm and rising fast. Roughly three-fifths of emissions come from fossil fuel use, farming, landfills and waste. The remainder is from natural sources, especially vegetation rotting in tropical and northern wetlands. Methane is both a driver and a messenger of climate change. We don’t know why it is now rising so rapidly, but the pattern of growth since late 2006 resembles how methane behaved during great flips in Earth’s climate in the distant past.

In glacial terminations, the entire climate system reorganises. In the past, this took Earth out of stable ice age climates and into warm inter-glacials. But we are already in a warm interglacial. What comes next is hard to imagine: loss of sea ice in the Arctic in summer, thinning or partial collapse of the ice caps in Greenland and West Antarctica, reorganisation of the Atlantic’s ocean currents and the poleward expansion of tropical weather circulation patterns. The consequences, both for the biosphere in general and food production in south and east Asia and parts of Africa in particular, would be very significant

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
I was in upstate NY recently and saw many "STOP THE SOLAR" signs, which stems from NY's streamlining of permits for renewables. This has many worried about the loss of farmland, or disturbing graves on tribal lands.

But that got me thinking: why don't we cover all the cemeteries with solar canopies? The well-marked graves are easily avoided, no one can complain that it's ugly because it already looks like a cemetery, and the interred certainly won't mind. Plus, no more funerals in the rain, those are sad AF

I was in upstate NY recently and saw many "STOP THE SOLAR" signs, which stems from NY's streamlining of permits for renewables. This has many worried about the loss of farmland, or disturbing graves on tribal lands.

But that got me thinking: why don't we cover all the cemeteries with solar canopies? The well-marked graves are easily avoided, no one can complain that it's ugly because it already looks like a cemetery, and the interred certainly won't mind. Plus, no more funerals in the rain, those are sad AF
I could have used that last week at a cemetery in Iowa where it was 99 degrees and high humidity!

Well not really a big surprise there...These cuts include $7.8 billion from the EPA's Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund which supports investments for disadvantaged communities and the creation of high-paying jobs. Republicans cut $1.4 billion intended to address environmental health impacts in underserved communities.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr

Half of people regularly tweeting about the climate and nature crises abandoned Twitter after it was taken over by Elon Musk, according to new analysis.

Reports have found rising climate change dis- and misinformation on the platform and a dramatic increase in hate speech. Scientists and others told the Guardian in December that there had been a surge in debunked climate change denialist talking points on Twitter since the Musk takeover.

The most effective U.S. negotiator on international climate cooperation right now isn’t in Washington. It’s California Gov. Gavin Newsom, whose new pacts with China and other major polluters are cementing the Golden State’s role as a climate policy power broker.

Enter the world’s fifth-largest economy, which has long been using its firm political consensus on climate change as a platform to broker international agreements with foreign allies and adversaries alike. California’s role as a de facto shadow government on climate diplomacy is only becoming more important as geopolitical tensions rise and Congress remains riven over China’s role in the green transition, officials say.

State Transportation Secretary Toks Omishakin, with Newsom standing by, signed an agreement earlier this month with the Chinese province of Hainan to work together on phasing out fossil fuel vehicles, improving energy efficiency in buildings and enforcing air pollution and greenhouse gas rules, among other areas. The memo came on the heels of another agreement Newsom signed in April renewing a Jerry Brown-era partnership with China’s Ministry of Ecology and Environment to encourage policy and academic exchanges.The administration is also inking a pact on climate and energy with Australia on Tuesday. The deal, to be signed in Sacramento with Australian ambassador Kevin Rudd, focuses on clean energy and emissions reductions, with a special emphasis on bolstering resilience to wildfire, heat and drought, which both Australia and California have suffered increasingly from in recent years.

In many cities cemeteries provide valuable green space.

However, if there is a solar-covered, biogas-generating corpse processor, I'd be happy to have my corpse dumped there when I die.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CyberGus and mspohr

Hawaii’s supreme court on Thursday will hear attempts by fossil fuel companies to dismiss a climate accountability lawsuit. The hearing comes as the deadly fires in Maui capture global headlines.

“If the truth had been known about climate change, if the truth had been allowed to be known by big oil, Hawaii might have had a different future,” she said. Though the climate crisis was not the sole cause of the record-breaking fires, she added, it “set the table” for the destruction by fueling unusually hot, dry, flammable conditions. Fires are just one form of extreme weather the Honolulu case says is plaguing the city and county. Other climate-related public nuisances, including flooding, sea level rise, heatwaves and drought, are together costing the city billions and putting residents and property at risk, the lawsuit says.

Same here in Oregon. Proposed Muddy Creek solar park gets Brownsville audience worked up

Much of the push back from locals is they are afraid that the land they lease will cost more. They don't come out and say that, even saying it will hare the environment, which is almost funny, most don't give a damn about that even if it was true.