Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Cop28 global climate summit has reached a historic deal hailed by the United Nations as “the beginning of the end for the fossil fuel era.
So we have the confirmation that COP28 decided the phase-down (reduction) of fossil fuels.
It's good. We are looking for the phase-out from fossil fuels at COP29 hopefully.

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr

The Cop28 global climate summit has reached a historic deal hailed by the United Nations as “the beginning of the end for the fossil fuel era.
So we have the confirmation that COP28 decided the phase-down (reduction) of fossil fuels.
It's good. We are looking for the phase-out from fossil fuels at COP29 hopefully.

... obviously, not tears of joy from some of the attendees. :)

Cop28 could have bust the industry’s bet with a clear statement that fossil fuels must be phased out. It did not. Instead, a call to “transition away” from fossil fuels, shot through with loopholes, will not be enough to frighten investors away from the precious resources.

The fight is existential for both the fossil fuel industry and the rest of civilisation, but only one can prosper. “We are facing a confrontation between fossil capital and human life,” the Colombian president, Gustavo Petro, told delegates in Dubai.

International regulations, like the EU’s carbon border tax, can penalise dirty producers. Methane limits can block the import of gas produced with excessive methane leaks. Climate clubs of nations can accelerate green action together, and exclude or penalise free-riding polluters. Taxation on fossil fuels, and international aviation and shipping, is being seriously discussed after the establishment of a new taskforce at Cop28. Ending the insanity of the $7tn (£5.5tn) a year in subsidies that benefit fossil fuels would cut global emissions by 34% by 2030 – a large chunk of the 43% cut needed – and is starting to happen, from Nigeria to Canada.

His boss, António Guterres, had a clear parting message to the petrostates. The UN secretary general said: “To those who opposed a clear reference to a phase-out of fossil fuels in the Cop28 text, I want to say that a fossil fuel phase out is inevitable whether they like it or not. Let’s hope it doesn’t come too late.”

António Guterres, had a clear parting message to the petrostates. The UN secretary general said: “To those who opposed a clear reference to a phase-out of fossil fuels in the Cop28 text, I want to say that a fossil fuel phase out is inevitable whether they like it or not. Let’s hope it doesn’t come too late.”

With reference to the above mentioned paragraph by Guterres I would like to reply that it will not be too late to phase out from fossil fuels but it will happen when the 1.5 degrees Celsius threshold set by the Agreement of Paris will be overtaken IMO
It will be a long time fight, but eventually all the work done to get rid of fossil fuels will be useful to save the Earth.

António Guterres, had a clear parting message to the petrostates. The UN secretary general said: “To those who opposed a clear reference to a phase-out of fossil fuels in the Cop28 text, I want to say that a fossil fuel phase out is inevitable whether they like it or not. Let’s hope it doesn’t come too late.”

With reference to the above mentioned paragraph by Guterres I would like to reply that it will not be too late to phase out from fossil fuels but it will happen when the 1.5 degrees Celsius threshold set by the Agreement of Paris will be overtaken IMO
It will be a long time fight, but eventually all the work done to get rid of fossil fuels will be useful to save the Earth.
Fortunately there are strong economic forces pushing cheaper renewables which can overcome entrenched fossil fuels.

El Nino 2023 could be a MONSTER!

We have the confirmation that El Niño will be particularly strong next year 2024. As I said in a previous post this could mean that already next year we could overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris.
Stay tuned to know what the Climate crisis will be in 2024 and how it could affect COP29 in Azerbaijan.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr

The Nobel Prize-winning scientist’s work paved the way for the 1992 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. More than three decades later, he believes we are losing the race, having already been overtaken by extreme climate events that would not have happened had action been taken earlier.

Should we even look to COPs for progress? No, according to climate scientist Michael Oppenheimer. Back in 1988, he was one of the first climatologists to sound the alarm about climate change when he presented his research into how humans were heating the planet through the burning of fossil fuels to the US Senate.

The influence of the biggest polluters goes beyond direct political contributions. As Monbiot pointed out, they also need a “social licence to operate”, mainly provided through greenwashing initiatives that make it seem like they are offering a solution to climate change. Their narratives are pushed to voters through a “concierge class” of think tanks – or “junk tanks”, as he referred to them – marketeers and journalists. Monbiot said he reserves special scorn for carbon capture and storage (CCS), a nascent technology for stashing carbon dioxide underground. While the industry has hailed CCS as a “silver bullet” solution, many scientists and experts have cast doubt on its effectiveness. “It’s a dead duck,” Monbiot said, and others have described it as a distraction to extend the life of the fossil fuel industry.

Companies invested in hydrocarbons don’t want the energy revolution to move fast, he said. “They’re sitting on piles of uncashed resources. They want to burn up those resources first. We can’t let that get in the way, but it’s not going to be easy.” He said he has placed his faith in the energy revolution, which he believes is gaining traction around the world, kickstarting a slow process of transition in countries eyeing market share. China may still derive 70 percent of its electricity from fossil fuels, but it is also the world’s top supplier of renewable energy technologies.

With reference to the above mentioned news I would like to send a message to the former COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber:

"Dear former COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber, I would like to inform you that, in my opinion, soon you will be summoned at the UN to give reasons for your actions. I take this occasion to thank you for your kind attention to the Climate Change issue."

Best Regards
Raffy

With reference to the above mentioned news I would like to send a message to the former COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber:

"Dear former COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber, I would like to inform you that, in my opinion, soon you will be summoned at the UN to give reasons for your actions. I take this occasion to thank you for your kind attention to the Climate Change issue."

Best Regards
Raffy
They have no shame.
It's just greed.

The failure of Cop28 to call for a phase-out of fossil fuels is “devastating” and “dangerous” given the urgent need for action to tackle the climate crisis, scientists have said. One called it a “tragedy for the planet and our future” while another said it was the “dream outcome” for the fossil fuel industry.

Dr Magdalena Skipper, the editor in chief of the science journal Nature, said: “The science is clear – fossil fuels must go. World leaders will fail their people and the planet unless they accept this reality.”

The scientists comments echoed those of Anne Rasmussen, the lead negotiator for the Alliance of Small Island States group, whose speech at the closing of Cop28 won a standing ovation from delegates: “It is not enough for us to reference the science and then make agreements that ignore what the science is telling us we need to do.”

Mann said Cop rules needed to be reformed, for example by allowing super-majorities to vote through decisions over the objections of holdout petrostates and by barring oil executives such as Al Jaber, who runs the United Arab Emirate’s state oil company, from presiding over future summits.

I mean severity not the 9,8 gravity. I checked gravity is a synonymous of severity in English too. English is my second language but I always check the words that I use on TMC.
PLEASE let's not joke in this thread. The Climate Change issue is a serious matter.
Raffy,

You used gravity properly and correctly. Obviously the root for this noun is the adjective grave, meaning serious, perhaps with dire consequences.

Ignore the trolls.