Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, as long as everyone else has hijacked my thread, there's little reason for me not also to do so:

I can supply a REAL LIVE demonstration of the viability of PV panels at today's energy price points. Our minuscule community of Paxson, AK has had for 51 years its own community generator to supply electricity to the "downtown" area. That included small consumers like Sebastian's cabin across the road, large consumers like the DOT compound and the AT&T maintenance shop, and medium consumers like our business.

The last generator was a 230kW diesel CAT and, very typical of gensets of this magnitude, burned about 150-200 gallons of fuel each day. 1 US gallons per kW per 24 hours is a good rule of thumb for generators of the small-scale commercial size (from 20kW - 1,000kW).

Now, in our part of the world, there are zero state or federal subsidies for power gneration. So those of us on this grid were exposed to 100% of the true costs of running this plant. The operator was not amortiziing plant & equipment - to say nothing of either deferred or future maintenance! - so the $3-4.50/gallon price of diesel #2 in summer and #1 in winter is what he had to recoup. And this is ULSD, the same we have to put in our road vehicles.

So, in the "utility's" final year, which ended about 24 months ago (at which time we all rebelled and went on our own systems), FULL PRICE for our electricity ranged from US$2.50 to $4.15 for every single kilowatt-hour. Multply THAT by what on each and every one of your monthly utility bills and watch your under garments. THAT shows you the real price of electrical production (again: JUST variable cost - NOT full cost).

Because of this, and even at Latitude 63º, in one of the cloudier parts of Alaska, it became economically absolutely sensible to install not only a full-sized bank of PV panels, but to emplace the monstrous battery bank I have shown in other threads' photos (9,000 lbs) AND a 16kW commercial inversion system. Plus the cost of 260' of 3/0 copper wiring and other incidentals. OUR PAYBACK period is going to be about eight years.

So to those who snort about faulty economics and shoddy ROIs and NPVs: it is not until you can compare a "pure" electrical production cost profile against a home solar set-up that you can make an accurate assessment. That is absolutely precisely what our real-life situation here did. And if here high in the Alaska Range, we can do it economically , well over 99.9 percent of humanity also can do it. Right now, today.

Our situation, by the way, takes into account ONLY market prices. It does NOT factor in the externalities that absolutely do exist. So, even though those ARE real, and ARE calculable, PV production with battery storage - not as backup but as part of an off-grid integral system is already justifiable.

So....I idn't hijack my thread after all; rather, I have re-inforced my initial post. There are ZERO economic reasons that not only the consumption of fossil hydrocarbons for locomotive use be ended today, but also that for electrical production.

You have my permission to cite this post any time someone tries to use the bromide "it's possible that might work in Arizona, but not in (Indiana/Minnesota/Maine/Quebec)places with less insolation​". Not true.

So you're saying what you found was some text saying that the regulations don't apply to people, not a regulation that included people with an exemption. FAQ is not regulation. Unless there is a CFR that states what you're saying, it's not regulation. Understandably confusing to many.

Not to me. If someone asks then the EPA answers (FAQ). Stupid questions require somewhat stupid answers. This not equal to a regulation.

The planet doesn't care about dollars and cents. Those are human inventions. Our planet is almost 5 billion years old. In that time, and due to a coincidental series of events, many different species have risen to dominance and then suffered extinction due to external forces. Humans are the dominant species today because of an asteroid that struck the earth about 60 million years ago, making room for us bipedals to evolve and rise through the ranks. The length of time we remain on this planet as a species is no more guaranteed than that of the dinosaurs.

The planet doesn't care if humans live or perish. The planet will continue to spin, other forms of life will continue to evolve, and another species will rise to dominance in our absence. Or all life will end. Whatever is the end result, our planet will still spin until it is engulfed by the sun when it becomes a red giant a few billion years from now. All other dominant species were wiped out due to external events. If and when humans become extinct, it will likely be due to events they created - not an unforeseen event or series of events that came out of nowhere.

The enlightened are always burdened with dragging behind them, kicking and screaming, the asses of the unenlightened. That's the burden borne by those of us who went to school, paid attention in class, and grew up with a fundamental understanding of physical science. In criminal law there is a basic principal whereby ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking the law. Let's apply that logic to this topic as well.

Well, as long as everyone else has hijacked my thread, there's little reason for me not also to do so:

I can supply a REAL LIVE demonstration of the viability of PV panels at today's energy price points. Our minuscule community of Paxson, AK has had for 51 years its own community generator to supply electricity to the "downtown" area. That included small consumers like Sebastian's cabin across the road, large consumers like the DOT compound and the AT&T maintenance shop, and medium consumers like our business.

The last generator was a 230kW diesel CAT and, very typical of gensets of this magnitude, burned about 150-200 gallons of fuel each day. 1 US gallons per kW per 24 hours is a good rule of thumb for generators of the small-scale commercial size (from 20kW - 1,000kW).

Now, in our part of the world, there are zero state or federal subsidies for power gneration. So those of us on this grid were exposed to 100% of the true costs of running this plant. The operator was not amortiziing plant & equipment - to say nothing of either deferred or future maintenance! - so the $3-4.50/gallon price of diesel #2 in summer and #1 in winter is what he had to recoup. And this is ULSD, the same we have to put in our road vehicles.

So, in the "utility's" final year, which ended about 24 months ago (at which time we all rebelled and went on our own systems), FULL PRICE for our electricity ranged from US$2.50 to $4.15 for every single kilowatt-hour. Multply THAT by what on each and every one of your monthly utility bills and watch your under garments. THAT shows you the real price of electrical production (again: JUST variable cost - NOT full cost).

Because of this, and even at Latitude 63º, in one of the cloudier parts of Alaska, it became economically absolutely sensible to install not only a full-sized bank of PV panels, but to emplace the monstrous battery bank I have shown in other threads' photos (9,000 lbs) AND a 16kW commercial inversion system. Plus the cost of 260' of 3/0 copper wiring and other incidentals. OUR PAYBACK period is going to be about eight years.

So to those who snort about faulty economics and shoddy ROIs and NPVs: it is not until you can compare a "pure" electrical production cost profile against a home solar set-up that you can make an accurate assessment. That is absolutely precisely what our real-life situation here did. And if here high in the Alaska Range, we can do it economically , well over 99.9 percent of humanity also can do it. Right now, today.

Our situation, by the way, takes into account ONLY market prices. It does NOT factor in the externalities that absolutely do exist. So, even though those ARE real, and ARE calculable, PV production with battery storage - not as backup but as part of an off-grid integral system is already justifiable.

So....I idn't hijack my thread after all; rather, I have re-inforced my initial post. There are ZERO economic reasons that not only the consumption of fossil hydrocarbons for locomotive use be ended today, but also that for electrical production.

You have my permission to cite this post any time someone tries to use the bromide "it's possible that might work in Arizona, but not in (Indiana/Minnesota/Maine/Quebec)places with less insolation​". Not true.

I don't quite follow how you come up with a price of $2.50 - $4.15 per kwh of electricity using a diesel generator. I would expect that a diesel generator would be about 33% efficient. There are around 38 kwh of energy per gallon of diesel. So I'd expect you'd get around 13 kwh per gallon, which comes to roughly 34 cents per kwh assuming 4.50 per gallon of diesel (in line with Hawaii).

I would expect that a diesel generator would be about 33% efficient. There are around 38 kwh of energy per gallon of diesel. So I'd expect you'd get around 13 kwh per gallon, which comes to roughly 34 cents per kwh assuming 4.50 per gallon of diesel (in line with Hawaii)

Yes, that would be expected....but in real life it's way less efficient, until you get into Large Scale generators and distribution facilities. Way, way less.

Yes, that would be expected....but in real life it's way less efficient, until you get into Large Scale generators and distribution facilities. Way, way less.

This table shows that a with 350kw diesel generator, you burn about 25 gallons of diesel per hour when its running full tilt:

Approximate Diesel Generator Fuel Consumption Chart

which works out to an efficiency of 350/(25*38) = 36%. It has a similar efficiency at lower loads. I wonder if you were estimating the cost of a kilowatt day rather than a kilowatt hour? It looks like you might have forgot to divide by 24 in your initial comment.

Our business here is tourist accommodations, so we had to size the system large enough to accommodate the 18-odd buildings on compound. We get very, very little winter business - mostly dogsledders and weekenders from Fairbanks coming to snowmachine in the mountains.
So, since we don't have much use for fridge and freezer compressors in a bunch of those months....;)....and LED & cfl lights take precious little juice, then we really have ridiculously low elec demand in many of the winter months: well pump, mostly. And those Absolyte IIp batteries are very, very good at keeping a charge (I wonder how TMC/SCTY's battery bank would do here? Would love to have the opportunity to test it/them...).

Winter of 2012-3, for example, we ran our backup genset a total of 80 hours (about 3-4 hours at a time, to charge the batteries). Wind is too erratic at this specific location (great about 1/2 mile away). And I've run into BigTime problems with AK's Dep't of Env. Conservation regarding hydropower, even though I could generate 90kW 355-360 days out of the year. It's a sockeye salmon problem..... :(

Our business here is tourist accommodations, so we had to size the system large enough to accommodate the 18-odd buildings on compound. We get very, very little winter business - mostly dogsledders and weekenders from Fairbanks coming to snowmachine in the mountains.
So, since we don't have much use for fridge and freezer compressors in a bunch of those months....;)....and LED & cfl lights take precious little juice, then we really have ridiculously low elec demand in many of the winter months: well pump, mostly. And those Absolyte IIp batteries are very, very good at keeping a charge (I wonder how TMC/SCTY's battery bank would do here? Would love to have the opportunity to test it/them...).

Winter of 2012-3, for example, we ran our backup genset a total of 80 hours (about 3-4 hours at a time, to charge the batteries). Wind is too erratic at this specific location (great about 1/2 mile away). And I've run into BigTime problems with AK's Dep't of Env. Conservation regarding hydropower, even though I could generate 90kW 355-360 days out of the year. It's a sockeye salmon problem..... :(

Thanks for the reply. I get the environmental overlords going crazy on the Salmon excuse. I am sure that could be mitigated. Unfortunately they have a agenda of control over you and enriching themselves with the Oligarchs crony business.

From what you said, I experience you have a very good set up. Thank you for the detail on that. Since you are seasonal, works well for you. Very cool.

Well, when the views of one side are derived from ideology and the other side from science it's nearly impossible to find common ground.

You can do this yourself... if you have an IR camera, a candle and a canister of CO2

My "overlords" are the laws of physics... try as I might there's no way to fight them :crying:

Just kinda have to work around them with things like EPA regulations on CO2 emissions to keep levels in the biosphere manageable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sobering reminder for us all -the goal posts are still very far away, folks. Fossil fuels stills supply 86% of the world's energy needs, including 30% for coal and 32% for oil.

In a global 'war on coal,' coal is winning - CSMonitor.com

But despite those headlines, coal still dominates. In 2013, coal consumption increased by 3 percent, making it the fastest growing fossil fuel. A large reason for its success is its low cost – coal markets have experienced several years of declines in prices. Also, coal is relatively abundant and found around the world.

And despite the inroads made by natural gas and renewables, coal demand continues to climb in China, India and other fast growing developing countries. Coal has also seen a bit of resurgence in the US and Europe, although its duration is likely to be brief.

But the data shows how tough it will be to replace coal. All the efforts at reducing pollution and finding cleaner alternatives could be overwhelmed by the inexorable growth of the developing world.

For now, coal remains behind oil in terms of its share of global energy demand, capturing 30.1 percent compared to oil’s 32.9 percent. But that could change. In a December 2012 report, the International Energy Agency predicted that by 2017, coal would become the world’s top source of energy. Between 2012 and 2017, annual global coal consumption is expected to jump by 1.2 billion tons, which is equivalent of adding the coal consumption of Russia and the US combined.

- - - Updated - - -

The oil companies and Koch Bros game plan for climate regulation:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...l-companies-plan-to-adapt-to-climate-cha.aspx

There's a sharp divergence between the Koch brothers' goals and those of their publicly traded competitors. Groups like Americans for Prosperity are still working with the old global warming playbook. They seek to undermine climate change research with dissenting views, often using what the opposing side views as bogus research. The five largest oil companies in the world, however, are adopting a new playbook entirely. Rather than fight the issue head on, they seem to be interested in controlling the reaction to it.

Seemingly resigned to the fact that the United States will eventually adopt one or the other, ExxonMobil has come out in favor of a carbon tax rather than a cap-and-trade scheme of the sort seen in parts of Europe. The company also purchased XTO Energy, an alternative energy company, though that move has not been a blockbuster so far.
Perhaps the best prepared for change among the companies is Royal Dutch Shell. Its CEO has publicly called for a carbon tax, but it's equally prepared for government inaction. The company has invested more in drilling in Arctic locations that were previously inaccessible, but have heated up thanks to climate change. By hedging its bets, Shell has put itself in a relatively secure position in a rapidly changing business.

For Canadians who want to join urging our dear Prime Minister (and various other involved / responsible parties) to stop supporting the Tar Sand projects, here is a little letter to sign:

Stop Tar Sands Expansion | Environmental Defence

Thanks for posting a link to this initiative!

Al Gore's article in the current issue of Rolling Stone is a great read:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-turning-point-new-hope-for-the-climate-20140618

See also: OECD Calls on Canada to Impose Carbon Tax to Fight Climate Change

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/oecd-...t-climate-change-20140611-00814#ixzz35AWUQ6kr