Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me it was a firmware issue.

I'm disinclined to believe it. True I haven't had the errors since then, but I also have rarely tried to use it since then. It was only relevant in mid summer when it was really hot.

Anyway, NBD
Things to check...mine was intermittent also but just changing out the humidity sensor fixed the problem. Symptoms were cold air would just go to floor, could not set dog mode, could not access climate controls via app. You really don’t want this to happen on a long trip through florida and Georgia in the summer...or in a long drive through rain (fogs up inside).

Reactions: beachmiles
I got this message after having my windshield replaced. Another side effect was Auto climate control always blew air to the floor, not dash or defroster vents. Tesla service diagnosed that the wiring harness was damaged for the temperature and humidity sensor wires in the rear-view mirror area. New harness was $100. Total repair cost $248.
View attachment 587815
Thanks for the post! Do you still have the old harness? I'm curious to know how it was routed near the mirror.
Thanks

After 13,000+ miles haven’t had any more problems with the car so that one mobile visit was all that’s needed to be done to fix the temp/humidity sensor. Just rotated my tires (used 2 scissor jacks I picked up for $1 each at garage sales plus the necessary pucks that I made from, well, hockey pucks). Easy process and brake pads looked like new still. Just ordered a Modern Tire Spare as lack of spare is only thing that really bothers me about travel during covid.

Last edited:
After 13,000+ miles haven’t had any more problems with the car so that one mobile visit was all that’s needed to be done to fix the temp/humidity sensor. Just rotated my tires (used 2 scissor jacks I picked up for $1 each at garage sales plus the necessary pucks that I made from, well, hockey pucks). Easy process and brake pads looked like new still. Just ordered a Modern Tire Spare as lack of spare is only thing that really bothers me about travel during covid.
Quick update. At 19,000 miles the temp/humidity sensor fix seems solid. No issues since then other than buying two new tires for the rears (The 3.0 second 0-60 thing). BTW, went with Bridgestone Potenza 18” tires. Slight hum on really smooth roads, possibly a bit quieter on crappy cement highways. They drive fine. 50k mile warranty so will see.

Thanks for the update.
In my case I took my car to the the service centre and as expected they replaced the temperature and humidity sensor (THS). It is all fixed. The fault is gone, no more "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault" message. For the first time in four months of ownership I can reliably set the HVAC from the app without error messages. Camp, Dog & On are no longer greyed out. HVAC achieves my desired temp when driving now too. Another idiosyncrasy was prior to the repair my drivers side lumbar was not working and some drivers settings like seat position were not saving properly. Replacing the faulty Temp & Humidity sensor fixed this. Root cause the sensor had been bringing down the LIN communication. Very happy to have it all fixed now.
Can you please check your invoice for part number? Im facing the same issue and out of warranty. Will try to resolve myself, but need part numbers! Would very much appreciate it!

Popping in here as well! This just came up for me, but it was a transient fault likely related to my PCS abuse and doing a hard-reset to clear a faulty "replace 12v battery" fault (I take from under the rear seat, but if the PCS shuts down while I'm drawing power, it'll drain the 12v battery in half an hour or less and cause weird issues).

Since I've been experiencing... erratic... auto-mode climate control, and have seen "100% humidity" in the past when reading sensors I shouldn't be reading, I figured I'd poke my head into Tesla Service and ask for the part.

They grabbed me a THS sensor "service kit" for $18 total, over the counter. Now I'm looking into accessing & replacing it :) But can't really find any info on how it's done. Maybe I'll take a video of it, if I can do some research before digging in...

Popping in here as well! This just came up for me, but it was a transient fault likely related to my PCS abuse and doing a hard-reset to clear a faulty "replace 12v battery" fault (I take from under the rear seat, but if the PCS shuts down while I'm drawing power, it'll drain the 12v battery in half an hour or less and cause weird issues).

Since I've been experiencing... erratic... auto-mode climate control, and have seen "100% humidity" in the past when reading sensors I shouldn't be reading, I figured I'd poke my head into Tesla Service and ask for the part.

They grabbed me a THS sensor "service kit" for $18 total, over the counter. Now I'm looking into accessing & replacing it :) But can't really find any info on how it's done. Maybe I'll take a video of it, if I can do some research before digging in...
Look up a video on removal of the rear view mirror. Do you have the part number of the humidity sensor? Im having same issue

Attachments

• 20220425_070310.jpg
    20220425_070310.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 844
  • 20220425_070359.jpg
    20220425_070359.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Informative
Yup, I got mine replaced. And the faults, uhhhhhhh... let's just say it didn't address the issue, but the behavior of auto HVAC has definitely changed -- but for the worse? maybe it's calibrating? TBH there's probably a lot of info I don't have, since I haven't paid the $30/hr to review service docs as well as the $18 part.

I used this video to learn how to get in:
I left a comment there, with timestamps of the order in which you should watch it to disassemble.

From there (the center ring around the mirror hinge is absolutely the hardest part!), it was pretty easy.

1650907396890.png

1650907420473.png

Bing bang ... bong. Done.

I did this with the power cut off (unplug 12v, disconnect & reconnect latch under rear seat). When I rebooted, I got the fault again, but not before the A/C turned itself up "to 11" inexplicably (whirrrRrRRRRrRRRRRRRRRR!!!) then suddenly shut down (RRRRrrrr..r.r.r...~~). Really weird. After that, the "climate keeper fault" popped up on the HVAC screen (though no "black bar" fault shown), and I just let the car sleep/wake. As usual, it took overnight for it to actually sleep. Serious case of insomnia.

However, when it woke up the next day, the climate keeper fault was gone - same as it was last time as well.

Afterward, on my next drive, Auto mode seems to have... become... different? It's super aggro about air conditioning now. Normally I have it set to 67 for daytime comfort, but this time I had it at 74 just to get a more reasonable amount of ice cubes thrown in my face. While driving, facing the sun would suddenly make it blast more cold air at me (noticeably increasing fan speed). It's just a bit super wild.

I wonder if it needs time to calibrate, or if there's another sensor somewhere that needs to be replaced...

• Informative
1 week in: we are definitely not better off now than we were before. 😐😖 Figured I should report back here for continuity's sake.

- any time I have climate on "auto", it absolutely blasts the windshield with full A/C, when it's sunny and clear/pleasant outside. it seems to think the car is underwater at all times.
- right now, sitting in my 74f garage, it thinks it's 106f inside. it, uh, definitely doesn't always think this. It's almost like it's picking up noise. (woop, now it's 101f after writing this)
- using manual climate is the only way to maintain sanity.

OK, so I'm pretty sure my issue wasn't the THS in the mirror. uh. hmm. So, time to go digging for more sensors, then!

edit: Seems likely that an update/reflash may solve the issue. I'll try that next:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Yay, good news. Reflash (any OTA, but I triggered it... uh, myself) did the trick. While I was there I also ran HVAC diagnostics and got a full clean bill of health.

Auto mode is back to usable again; doesn't blast the windshield with A/C, blows it nicely in my face as desired. Hooray!

I think I might have the same issue. 100F temps and the car was not keeping the interior temperature below 78 or so. Intermittently indicated "auto defogging". Humidity sensor values don't appear in ScanMyTesla (@FalconFour you wouldn't happen to know a way to pull that value from the CAN bus would you?)

Auto mode didn't seem to want to trigger recirculate mode which appears to be the reason the temp couldn't be kept at reasonable levels. At first I wasn't sure if this was a sign of compressor failure. 100F heat with recirculate off and evap temp was around 60F. Immediately dropped to the 2C (35F) target when turning recirculate on manually. Anyone know if recirculate is needed to keep cabin temp reasonable in 100+ heat?

If the issue is indeed the humidity sensor, it's frankly terrible logic to try and dehumidify at the expense of maintaining a safe cabin temperature.

I have a service request into Tesla, we'll see what they say. My car is out of warranty, so if they don't goodwill this, I'll probably try and do it myself. Anyone know if their feelings get hurt if you create a service request and cancel and buy the part yourself consistently? This would be the second time I've done that lol

IMG_1209.jpeg