Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clipper creek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using an LCS-25 to charge our volt. It works. You're not going to want to use it for Tesla though, as you'll have to use the J1772 adapter all the time, and will have to use your key fob or the button in the car to release the handle.

I've been using an LCS-25 to charge our volt. It works. You're not going to want to use it for Tesla though, as you'll have to use the J1772 adapter all the time, and will have to use your key fob or the button in the car to release the handle.
Ugh that's interesting to know...thought this would be a good solution to charge a model s and x with power constraints of 50amp breaker with two lcs-25. Hmmm...
I've been using an LCS-25 to charge my Leaf on a daily basis for 2.5 years. Works like a champ, no complaints at all other than being limited to 20 amps of charging power. Clipper Creek is a great company.

If 50amp is all you have, I see the following options:

1. One 14-50 and share a UMC. Alternate each day.
2. One HPWC set to 50A. Again, alternate.
3. Two HPWCs, each set to 25A.
4. OpenEVSE with two heads. This is one unit but with two cables that automatically load balances. I know someone was working on this; I don't know if it's supported yet.

Is there any way to get more power to your garage?

If 50amp is all you have, I see the following options:

1. One 14-50 and share a UMC. Alternate each day.
2. One HPWC set to 50A. Again, alternate.
3. Two HPWCs, each set to 25A.
4. OpenEVSE with two heads. This is one unit but with two cables that automatically load balances. I know someone was working on this; I don't know if it's supported yet.

Is there any way to get more power to your garage?

Best current solution after figuring it out is to go with the two clipper creeks 20amp. Going with any other option doesn't make much sense and if I have to manually open to charge door, I look at that just one minor step for man kind in a new world.

I have always used a Leviton 40amp to charge my Tesla. I have always used the adapter and it comes out in one piece using the button on the handle. Never had a problem.

I have an S & X will arrive in a few months. Nema 14/50 on the right side of the garage.(50 amp) plan to tie in a second outlet from the same line for the X on the other side. in 2 years i've never had a problem charging the S & frequently only charge it every 2days (15,000 k miles/year) . Doubt that We'll ever take both of them on a road trip on the same day. Will leave UMC cables plugged in unless we take one on a trip. Does anyone see a problem with that approach?

I have an S & X will arrive in a few months. Nema 14/50 on the right side of the garage.(50 amp) plan to tie in a second outlet from the same line for the X on the other side. in 2 years i've never had a problem charging the S & frequently only charge it every 2days (15,000 k miles/year) . Doubt that We'll ever take both of them on a road trip on the same day. Will leave UMC cables plugged in unless we take one on a trip. Does anyone see a problem with that approach?

A 14-50 outlet is supposed to be on a dedicated circuit, but I think the code wording is a little flexible about how that is set up. If you can prove/arrange/convince the inspector that you will only be using one outlet at a time, then that might be OK. A transfer switch that enables only one of the outlets at a time should make it pretty bulletproof for inspection. I do have a friend, though, who has two Teslas with the two outlets on a circuit as you propose. They have one car set to charge immediately when plugged in, and the other set to charge very late at night, so their timing is kept separate.

I might recommend that before even starting the work, you get in contact with your local inspector first to discuss what you want to do to see what he or she would require to pass it. Then, you wouldn’t have to change or redo something you have already put in.

A 14-50 outlet is supposed to be on a dedicated circuit, but I think the code wording is a little flexible about how that is set up. If you can prove/arrange/convince the inspector that you will only be using one outlet at a time, then that might be OK. A transfer switch that enables only one of the outlets at a time should make it pretty bulletproof for inspection. I do have a friend, though, who has two Teslas with the two outlets on a circuit as you propose. They have one car set to charge immediately when plugged in, and the other set to charge very late at night, so their timing is kept separate.

I might recommend that before even starting the work, you get in contact with your local inspector first to discuss what you want to do to see what he or she would require to pass it. Then, you wouldn’t have to change or redo something you have already put in.

By legal means they go by total load. If inspector is following legal means you can't convince him you will unplug etc. He goes by load calculations. However, if you have an inspector to sign off on that, I want to move to that city...or maybe not. :)

NEC 2014 firmed a lot of this up. 210.17 says that "an outlet(s) installed for the purpose of charging electric vehicles shall be supplied by a separate branch circuit. This circuit shall have no other outlets." This is a new section added in NEC 2014; previously it was technically legal for you to have multiple receptacles on the same circuit for EV charging (and it is still legal for you to do so for other loads). The load calculations still fail for multiple cars, though - the branch circuit load calculations make no provisions for multiple connected loads that are unlikely to be used at the same time - that's only for feeders to subpanels.

So technically, you could make this legal by running a 50A feeder from your service panel to a garage subpanel for car charging. Then from that subpanel, run individual 50A branch circuits to each receptacle. NEC 2014 220.60 allows you to size a feeder to the maximum of two loads if it is "unlikely" that the loads would not be present at the same time. You can make the argument that you have the loads configured such that it is "unlikely" they would be charging at the same time (e.g., both configured for scheduled charging, one to start at 7 pm, the other to start at 7 am). A word of caution, though, it really depends upon the inspector you have. Some inspectors interpret "unlikely" in 220.60 more as an "impossible to occur" - meaning they demand lock-outs, or control logic (e.g., thermostat on A/C + heat normally does not permit A/C and heat to run at same time). Other inspectors are slightly more liberal with the meaning. I've heard some inspectors handle it both ways.

And since the inspector is the only person you have to please (as the AHJ), you'll probably want to talk to him first.

Thanks guys for the info. very useful. I'll pass it on to my electrician and let him handle it. I get the feeling that he wasn't aware of the code regarding one NEMA 14-50 per EV. There probably aren't many people in this area with two EV's. Safety first.