Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing windows with FOB ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately small fingers don't always offer enough resistance. You can test this yourself with your pinkie if you're game.
It's because there's actually quite a lot of resistance in closing the window even if unobstructed, and that amount of resistance varies through the closing process, and varies depending on how wet or dirty the seals and window are.

The car knows the current position of the window at all times, right? If it's also continuously monitoring the torque/resistance, something as smart as a Tesla should be able to figure this out.

Pinching is presumably only a risk in the last four inches of travel or so, yes? Until you actually contact the upper seal, the torque should be quite consistent for a given opening cycle - dry seals vs wet and old/dirty vs new will change the resistance a fair amount, but should be nearly the same throughout a given opening/closing - and could even be tracked/remembered over time if needed.

So with appropriate programming the car should be able to recognize when even a fairly small unexpected resistance increase occurs in the dangerous zone, and respond to it.

(I'm not suggesting that Tesla currently has more sensitive windows than other cars do - just that they have the knowledge and processing power to make it happen in a future firmware update.)

The car knows the current position of the window at all times, right? If it's also continuously monitoring the torque/resistance, something as smart as a Tesla should be able to figure this out.

Pinching is presumably only a risk in the last four inches of travel or so, yes? Until you actually contact the upper seal, the torque should be quite consistent for a given opening cycle - dry seals vs wet and old/dirty vs new will change the resistance a fair amount, but should be nearly the same throughout a given opening/closing - and could even be tracked/remembered over time if needed.

So with appropriate programming the car should be able to recognize when even a fairly small unexpected resistance increase occurs in the dangerous zone, and respond to it.

(I'm not suggesting that Tesla currently has more sensitive windows than other cars do - just that they have the knowledge and processing power to make it happen in a future firmware update.)
The car roughly knows the position of the window with varying precision. At times the position can be very wrong and it gets confused. That's when a window calibration reset is required.

The car roughly knows the position of the window with varying precision. At times the position can be very wrong and it gets confused. That's when a window calibration reset is required.

Okay, at all times is overstating it - but as long as the window has been calibrated, it knows, yes?

I've never seen a spec for how precisely it knows, but it has to be pretty good since it stops on the seal with a consistent amount of compression - unless it's measuring the compression force or hitting the end of the travel?

All power windows are equipped with resistance sensors
The windows in my wife's Toyota Highlander had no sensors when she trapped one of my fingers while I was exiting her car. It hurt like all get out. And she was so flustered by my screaming that it took her a good 10 seconds to open it up again. A toddler's finger would have -- in my view -- been broken or cut off. It's a 2006, not ancient at all, and we still have and use it daily.

Okay, at all times is overstating it - but as long as the window has been calibrated, it knows, yes?

I've never seen a spec for how precisely it knows, but it has to be pretty good since it stops on the seal with a consistent amount of compression - unless it's measuring the compression force or hitting the end of the travel?
I agree that the car knows well enough the location of the windows to be able to go into a heightened awareness mode to quickly detect obstructions and avoid pinching fingers. But it's one of those secondary features that Tesla will get around to eventually and surprise us in the future.

I recommend that everyone interested in this feature to Email Tesla this suggestion to get it implemented faster. Truly a great idea and falls in-line with their dedication to safety.

I'm not sure the position of the window is available to the car.
I think the windows are just calibrated with a cam (not short for camera) at the open and closed positions, so that they auto-stop at each end. And have a max resistance cut-off, which would have be a fair bit more than the default resistance, to allow for variable resistance due to wet/dirty/oily etc.

Power windows is not a guillotine, you know.

No. I don't know. But here are some folks who think they do....

The Guillotine In Your Car
Power Window Accidents Can Cause Serious Child Injuries, Including Brain Injury and Asphyxiation
Dangerous Auto Part?: Power Window Can Cause Injuries, Says Consumer Group
The POWER of Safety: Power Windows in Cars Are a Hidden Danger
Car Power Windows: An Often Overlooked Danger
Power Windows | KidsandCars.org

- how do you know? Unless you know some privy information, you dont know if it was a judgement call or an oversight, or, maybe, it's in development.

There was a time, I believe it was around 2013 and before, that windows could be controlled from the fob.

Key FOB tricks and Uses
Closing windows with FOB ?!
How to open ans close the windows with the key ?
How do I close the windows with the fob? | Tesla

They are not now. It's from that information that I conclude that Tesla made a decision. I don't think that that requires "privy information." I do think it was a judgment call. I think it's obvious. But you are free to draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ABC2D