Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JUST THINK of all these Tesla features Canadians get to try out and use ...that Floridians will never get the joy of experiencing...
This is OT
Here I am responding to a post from February 2015. I keep my tesla in Florida but... just now it is Dec 27 and I'm sitting here with shorts, t-shirt, at 34C/93F. No A/C because I'm in the shade.
Questions:
What is a "snowflake"?
What is this about a "blue marker"?

Truth: I have lived (survived) in frigid climes. Now I stay in Rio de Janeiro when it is winter in Miami.:rolleyes:

Dont know if there's been much discussion on heated washer nozzles.
They came with the winter package on my car, and are effectively useless ... I use the -35C washer fluid you find everywhere like everyone else... and nozzles wont produce fluid below about -10C ambient outside temp. Turning on the nozzle heaters for 20minutes does nothing. Parking in heated garage restores function...

I've heard there's a new nozzle design for better fan spraying versus the original dual stream sprays I've got from each nozzle. But the newer spray pattern forgoes the winter warming feature. The original spray pattern sucks and I was thinking of retrofitting the newer fan nozzles but was hesitant to "give up" the winter warming. But seeing how not well the warming works... makes the decision easier.

Anybody in cold climate notice what I'm seeing with the winter nozzles basically not making any difference? Did I get a cheap batch of fluid that is underspec for temps? Anybody exchanged dual stream nozzles for fan spray? Anybody done any work arounds to get fluid to actually come out of the nozzles when it's below -10C?

Hey, anyone light a contained candle and put it in the cup holder for additional interior heat?

Just an idea..
O man, that brought a tear to my eye. Someone ought to do a photo shoot, of candles on the dash/cupholders... console. Please though, don't try this at home (or in your car). I have a battery operated candle will that work? (I'm afraid I'll forget real candles on and start a fire).

But about this THREAD, TYVM, great article.
Just picked up the 60D but the all seasons kinda suck.
Getting the ICEX tires and turned off range mode.
And hate the 2 spray wiper fluid...yuck

• Informative
Reactions: HopeToGolf
Seat Heaters
Seat heaters are essentially free. They use miniscule amounts power compared to the cabin heater. Use them liberally. Crank up the seat heaters, and lower the cabin temperature a little. You'll save a bunch of energy for driving.
This tip should be a part of every new car delivery in cold weather states.

Why are Tesla employees so un informed?

Reactions: Struja
I thought i didn't need air suspension since the different is only like 1.5 inches. Well, I scratched my car's bottom a few times going in some normal shopping center's parking lot. Later when I went back and have my wife drive it and I try to see how much more clearance I would need. Turns out it is just an inch or so. If I were to get another one, I would certainly get air suspension.

I live in Alaska and just ordered a 60D. Is air suspension worth getting? I have a couple days to change my order.

Sorry I didn't see this question for a long time. Since the raised position is only permitted at low speeds, the air suspension is of some use for wading through snow, but limited. Frankly AWD and/or proper snow tires will do a lot more for you.

I
I live in Alaska and just ordered a 60D. Is air suspension worth getting? I have a couple days to change my order.
My Model S has air suspension and I LOVE it! It is very good for snow and steep driveways (both of which effect my day to day car situation). Also recently I had to send my Model S into the shop and they gave me non air-suspension loaner Model S and I found the ride quality to be very hard and kinda rough. The air suspension feels very "cloud-like" if that makes sense. I highly recommend it FWIW.

Great read - though I am bummed that I read it AFTER I bought my Pirelli SottoZero 3 XL's 2 weeks ago. I have a Model D so I hope that helps a bit. In Toronto, it gets to -10C on average and snow removal is pretty good. To make matters worse, I have Pirelli's on the two other family cars that I bought last weekend. A big expense on what could be a poor choice of product. I wonder if under-inflating by 3-5% might help with the traction?

What was the verdict on these in Toronto. I also have a D with these scheduled for install this week.

Should also mention I already own these tires but this would be my first winter with the car.

Last edited:
What was the verdict on these in Toronto. I also have a D with these scheduled for install this week.

Should also mention I already own these tires but this would be my first winter with the car.
Last year was a pretty mild winter in Toronto but whenever we did have any sizable amount of snow, I didn't have any issues with those tires on any of the cars. I am not sure what all the complaints were about. The combination of the software pliable winter tires aggressive treads. all-wheel drive and a heavy car with adjustable ground clearance made it just as competent as my SUV. That reminds me to schedule an appointment to put those winters on soon.

Nice thread. I understand that the app driven cabin temp warm up also warms batteries. Great. The app also allows turning “on” the car. What happens if that is all I do? Will just turning on the car, warm the batteries? (My car is doing its first cold soak as I type this)

No, turning the car on does not warm the batteries. In fact, in my experience getting into the car, turning it on, and sitting with the heat on does not warm the batteries. The pack heater only seems to power up when you start driving. (Judging by car’s power draw.)

The following will turn on pack heater if cold:
- charging
- driving
- turn on cabin heat via remote app