Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection delays and registration dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are folk on here with orders outstanding for SR+ that predate your order by several months.

Ordered my M3 on 20-Jan ... actually pleasantly surprised they didn't have any lying around they wanted to get rid of. Picking up on 19-Feb.

The delivery estimate is/was Feb, and I imagine from other posts here that'll only be short of March by 1-2 weeks, which financially doesn't make much sense. For any other usual car manufacturer order everyone would just wait to get the latest reg for re-sale costs.

I haven't bothered trying to get Tesla to delay into March for a 20 plate (I do have a vanity plate which I could use) ... even though its only a couple of weeks. That would put me into the March "push" for quarter end ...

I'd be happy to collect in April but it sounds like if I gave up my reservation in Feb I may not see another one assigned until May/June.

I'll eat my hat if you can get an April delivery(unless its a rejected car that has been" fixed"). Tesla will want to sell all inventory by end March quarter ... historically there has been no "stock" sitting on boats travelling to EU at end of Quarter ... so production for EU starts when there is no longer enough time to build and complete sale in local (USA) market. Assuming that is last week of March and 6 weeks? to do that and get it boat'd across the pond, and then transported from NL to GB ... so yeah, nothing between 01-April and mid-May or June.

Ordered my M3 on 20-Jan ... actually pleasantly surprised they didn't have any lying around they wanted to get rid of. Picking up on 19-Feb.

I haven't bothered trying to get Tesla to delay into March for a 20 plate (I do have a vanity plate which I could use) ... even though its only a couple of weeks. That would put me into the March "push" for quarter end ...

I'll eat my hat if you can get an April delivery(unless its a rejected car that has been" fixed"). Tesla will want to sell all inventory by end March quarter ... historically there has been no "stock" sitting on boats travelling to EU at end of Quarter ... so production for EU starts when there is no longer enough time to build and complete sale in local (USA) market. Assuming that is last week of March and 6 weeks? to do that and get it boat'd across the pond, and then transported from NL to GB ... so yeah, nothing between 01-April and mid-May or June.

Normally we would expect UK deliveries for Q2 to recommence in mid - May, however the (strong) rumour is that there will be nothing to delivery in May at all. June will be the next delivery opportunity is the story being told.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Do we think that collectively the Tesla staff have enjoyed their "quieter" couple of weeks and are now all pumped full of Red Bull to get through the next 6 weeks, or are they dreading the sight of the Cosmos turning up ? Somewhere in between maybe ....
Might well be lol. The ship (Glovis Cosmos) departed Southampton on Friday evening (14th Feb) so just waiting for an email (as promised) from my leasing company who said they should hear from Tesla today (mon 17th) or by tomorrow Tues (18th Feb) when my collection date is likely to be. I Assume all the cars were offloaded during Thursday and Friday when the ship was docked in Southampton and all the Model 3s are just parked up on the quayside waiting to be transported to the various UK Tesla centres.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't see anything (albeit amongst the other multi-page delivery threads) and obviously all the US-based info is irrelevant.

I have an SR+ on order, placed 24th Dec. It's a business purchase so in an ideal world I'd collect it in March; early enough that the cost of the vehicle would fall into this tax year, and late enough for it be a 20 reg.

The delivery estimate is/was Feb, and I imagine from other posts here that'll only be short of March by 1-2 weeks, which financially doesn't make much sense. For any other usual car manufacturer order everyone would just wait to get the latest reg for re-sale costs.

So there's two questions:

- How much can you delay collection? And if you can delay it say 5 days, can you then delay it another 5 days and so on? With my pickup location being Heathrow (and living in Bristol) it's likely I'd need to do delay it anyway because I'll either need to take a day off work or have a free weekend day.

- When does the car get registered? I assume it's prior to pickup so they can print the plates etc but how far in advance does it need registering? Or are they all just registered on import so it'd be a 19 plate already anyway?

I'm in no real rush and I'd be happy to collect in April but it sounds like if I gave up my reservation in Feb I may not see another one assigned until May/June.

Any other advice appreciated!
Hi Russ - I think I can answer your questions as I have had a lot of contact with Tesla regarding my own order and these issues came up in conversation

regarding the registration plates - these are literally done on the spot when you are collecting the vehicle. Reason being that they do not register the car until all payment is received which is normally on the day of collection for most of us and a standard random number plate is allocated. For insurance purposes I was told to simply provide the model details to the insurance company and that they will 'know what to do with that'. I was also told that they have a special arrangement with Direct Line. Quite whether that special arrangement does anything to help the consumer I doubt. More likely to be just an understanding of how to go about insuring cars without registration plates.

regarding the delaying tactic you suggest - Tesla will delay a collection if you have a reason for a 'reasonable amount of time'. To me that means days and possibly a couple of weeks - for example one of the posters says he is off on a holiday so I assume they would accommodate him for up to 2 weeks. I doubt they will go any further. I was told that if I wanted to cancel my Blackhorse PCP funding in favour of my Leaseplan busniess leasing then they would cancel my car and allocate me a new one which means I join the queue again. I was told that would set me back 3 months.

If - as you say you are in no rush - this will be fine with you. However most of us are ready to forego the new reg plate and rather just get into our new Tesla. I ordered mine at the end of Jan and I am due to collect it this week. I had initially been told to expect it mid March but for some reason it got fast tracked. No idea what happened but I am not complaining. It just meant I had a mad rush to get my finance in place.

Hi Russ - I think I can answer your questions as I have had a lot of contact with Tesla regarding my own order and these issues came up in conversation

regarding the registration plates - these are literally done on the spot when you are collecting the vehicle. Reason being that they do not register the car until all payment is received which is normally on the day of collection for most of us and a standard random number plate is allocated. For insurance purposes I was told to simply provide the model details to the insurance company and that they will 'know what to do with that'. I was also told that they have a special arrangement with Direct Line. Quite whether that special arrangement does anything to help the consumer I doubt. More likely to be just an understanding of how to go about insuring cars without registration plates.

regarding the delaying tactic you suggest - Tesla will delay a collection if you have a reason for a 'reasonable amount of time'. To me that means days and possibly a couple of weeks - for example one of the posters says he is off on a holiday so I assume they would accommodate him for up to 2 weeks. I doubt they will go any further. I was told that if I wanted to cancel my Blackhorse PCP funding in favour of my Leaseplan busniess leasing then they would cancel my car and allocate me a new one which means I join the queue again. I was told that would set me back 3 months.

If - as you say you are in no rush - this will be fine with you. However most of us are ready to forego the new reg plate and rather just get into our new Tesla. I ordered mine at the end of Jan and I am due to collect it this week. I had initially been told to expect it mid March but for some reason it got fast tracked. No idea what happened but I am not complaining. It just meant I had a mad rush to get my finance in place.
Ordered mine on 7th Feb and got a VIN number in my account today!

Does that mean I can expect a delivery date soon?

Everyone got their check list ready? Here's one I took from another posting on here and just put it in a word file (then pdf as can't upload word by the looks of things). Use as you see fit and please add anything you feel relevant.

Attachments

• Model 3 Collection Checklist.pdf
    526.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Helpful
Reactions: Trevor EV
Reason being that they do not register the car until all payment is received which is normally on the day of collection for most of us and a standard random number plate is allocated.

I have my reg no, payment was only made midday today so I doubt they have it yet, collecting on Wednesday - some last minute paperwork permitting ... But I wasn't expecting the Reg No, and haven't had one [in advance] in the past ...

For insurance purposes I was told to simply provide the model details to the insurance company and that they will 'know what to do with that'.

Common, as I understand it, for new car purchase. Car / Plate won't be on DVLA database in time for insurance company to be able to dovetail. Insurance should be able to insure the VIN ... heck, you might change the Plate anyway, so there will be some interval where insurance is one plate and car is a different one ... or maybe they support the more complicated double-plate cross-over management ...

I assume they would accommodate him for up to 2 weeks

I doubt they would do that if it spanned a quarter end, when they want all cars converted to cash. Dunno what the score is if you pay, but don't collect. They might be more amenable to that perhaps

Everyone got their check list ready?

Here's mine .. never progressed it to "Version 2" ... sorry about that ...

What New Owners need to Know - UK FAQ

Follow on messages are useful, and add to that to check the windscreen squirt alignment ... the last one was poorly set, and it was a lovely sunny day so I didn't check it.

I have my reg no, payment was only made midday today so I doubt they have it yet, collecting on Wednesday - some last minute paperwork permitting ... But I wasn't expecting the Reg No, and haven't had one [in advance] in the past ...

You can check your account to see if the payment has been credited - it's very quick if you have quoted to RN. There are threads on how to do this somewhere on the forum. It's a very similar process to revealing your VIN as I recall.

• Informative

Common, as I understand it, for new car purchase. Car / Plate won't be on DVLA database in time for insurance company to be able to dovetail. Insurance should be able to insure the VIN ... heck, you might change the Plate anyway, so there will be some interval where insurance is one plate and car is a different one ... or maybe they support the more complicated double-plate cross-over management ...

I doubt they would do that if it spanned a quarter end, when they want all cars converted to cash. Dunno what the score is if you pay, but don't collect. They might be more amenable to that perhaps

Here's mine .. never progressed it to "Version 2" ... sorry about that ...

What New Owners need to Know - UK FAQ

Follow on messages are useful, and add to that to check the windscreen squirt alignment ... the last one was poorly set, and it was a lovely sunny day so I didn't check it.
I was due to pick up this Wednesday but I’m away on holiday. Tesla has no issue delaying it for 10 days.

I’m seeing conflicting info here ref license plates. Some have said you get the reg 3 days before collection in order to sort insurance, now I’m seeing I may not get a reg until the day I collect?

Can anybody that’s been through the whole process confirm their own experience please?

Just search for 'existingdeposit' all one word the same way you look for a hidden vin

Not sure its that one as I have

"ExistingDeposit":"Your deposit of £750 has already been credited towards the Amount Due at Delivery."

I haven't gone looking for a detail thread, but maybe it is this which I found in the source:

"Finalpayment":{"FinalpaymentAvailable":false,"FinalpaymentComplete":false}

so who knows! (although money was sent using "same day delivery")

its further compounded 'coz I'm picking up two cars (with some help, natch ...) and whichever RN I click on I get the same paperwork (i.e. for only one of the RN's) ... typical Tesla BackOffice Software ... and one of them isn't paid for yet, as I dare not until the paperwork has the correct name on it as I suspect the moment I pay that will crystallise the paperwork ...

I'm not unduly bothered, when I picked up the M3 in June I paid against an invoice No. that was credited out completely by the time payment arrived, and I never saw a replacement invoice appear after that ... but I just rocked up and they gave me a car anyway :)

Can anybody that’s been through the whole process confirm their own experience please?

last time I had no Reg No until collection ... this time I have ... does that help? :D

That's the correct one, i sent my deposit in 2 amounts (small then large) and the code updated accordingly with it now showing my full deposit received
That field worked for me too. Took a few days to show up there (ie it stayed at 750) but the full amount paid (deposit + final payment) is showing there now.

Both the FinalPaymentAvailable and FinalPaymentComplete fields are showing False, too, for anyone curious. Collection date is tomorrow, so this may change afterwards, but I won’t really care then!

When they called to confirm delivery, they said to bring proof of payment just in case. Apparently a print out of the bank transaction is enough.

Not sure its that one as I have

"ExistingDeposit":"Your deposit of £750 has already been credited towards the Amount Due at Delivery."

I haven't gone looking for a detail thread, but maybe it is this which I found in the source:

"Finalpayment":{"FinalpaymentAvailable":false,"FinalpaymentComplete":false}

so who knows! (although money was sent using "same day delivery")

its further compounded 'coz I'm picking up two cars (with some help, natch ...) and whichever RN I click on I get the same paperwork (i.e. for only one of the RN's) ... typical Tesla BackOffice Software ... and one of them isn't paid for yet, as I dare not until the paperwork has the correct name on it as I suspect the moment I pay that will crystallise the paperwork ...

I'm not unduly bothered, when I picked up the M3 in June I paid against an invoice No. that was credited out completely by the time payment arrived, and I never saw a replacement invoice appear after that ... but I just rocked up and they gave me a car anyway :)

last time I had no Reg No until collection ... this time I have ... does that help? :D

Clear as mud! So last time when you didn’t have a reg until collection, how did you go about insurance? Did you take it out when you’re were at the SC or did you do it in advance with the VIN or just the generic model?

The VIN is dodgy. It can change right up to point of handover - lesson from experience. Some insurers do not like you changing details too often, so best remain fluid with details until everything confirmed. In fact, Direct Line specifically told us not to use the Vin - a good call as it happened. Its only used to identify the vehicle make/model - its the reg number that counts.

Insuring a car without a registration mark is pretty common for many new car purchases - its not just Tesla. Whilst you may not be able to insure online, pretty much any insurer can handle it over the phone.

In advance (but not too far) get a quote you are happy with. You wont have a reg number but this should not matter.

Within 24 hours of collection (23 hours for us, but close enough), Tesla will contact you with the reg number. You then phone the company with the quote you are happy with, and finalise the details. The car will not be registered at this point so will not show up on any database, but it should not be a problem - if it is, its a failing of the insurance company not the process. Speak to someone who does know how this common process works.

Certainly no need to leave it till the last minute, or use a Vin (which needs to be changed to reg), or after you have illegally driven off.