Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection Fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I’ve ordered an in stock Model Y with reduced price tag.

Explained to the showroom that I’m away on business and won’t be able to collect for a few weeks. They initially said this was ok, yet they’ve now got in touch and said it’s not ok and if I don’t collect the car in 7 days then I lose it and will be reassigned with something else that might be more expensive!

Anyone had this sort of crap sprung on them?

Hi all

I’ve ordered an in stock Model Y with reduced price tag.

Explained to the showroom that I’m away on business and won’t be able to collect for a few weeks. They initially said this was ok, yet they’ve now got in touch and said it’s not ok and if I don’t collect the car in 7 days then I lose it and will be reassigned with something else that might be more expensive!

Anyone had this sort of crap sprung on them?
What one person says and another does can be anything, even people who have had things in writing still doesn't they do what they say, I would consider if the saving is worth the hassle otherwise let them cancel and order again later

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I’d literally stood there with 2 guys and explained the situation. They both said no problem, see you in a few weeks. Following day I get a call from some girl saying pick it up within 7 days. I explained that wasn’t the deal. Next thing I know I’m getting emails saying that is the case, pick it up or lose the car AND the discount. Wouldn’t be as bad if they were just moving me to another car with same spec and honouring the price but they’re not. Basically you can’t have the car you want at the price we’ve agreed, cos you can’t pick it up when we say, so here have another one potentially and pay more money! 😂

I don't believe the people in the showroom have any clue, nor carry any weight. They don't order the cars, don't get any commission, they're just there to answer questions that arise on test drives.

Going further, I think if you try and do things your way rather than Tesla's way, it won't go well. No matter how accommodating they sound when asked.

Good luck sorting it out.

One option that doesn't appear to have been considered - how about not giving your hard earned to a company that treats you like this?

Seems like the elephant in the room to me. All this talk about how to navigate around Tesla CS promising you one thing and then treating you like *sugar* later on, rather than just voting with your wallet.

if I don’t collect the car in 7 days then I lose it

Just thinking out loud:

Set collection date to the last day on offer - e.g. 7 days hence.

Fail to show up. Contact them and give one of Good-Excuses-to-Miss-Work-on-Short-Notice and say you can collect on X (i.e. when you are back in Blighty). So long as that is before month/quarter end I reckon they'd take that, rather than have extra-work to allocate to a different punter.

If you've paid a deposit, and you agreed collection date at the point of agreeing to purchase then you've formed a contract with Tesla (to be honest you dont have to have actually paid a deposit but it strengthens your case). A contract is established after the offer, an acceptance and for an agreed price - and thats that. They are not legally allowed to unilaterally alter that contract - any alteration has to be agreed by both parties.
It matters not if someone higher in authority decides the people you dealt with making the purchase didn't have the authority to make that decision because the company have vicarious liability for the actions or omissions of their employees.

If you want to pick your car up at the date period you initially agreed - call their bluff. Ring them back and tell whoever, you agreed a price for a particular vehicle and also agreed when you would pick it up - I have formed a contract with you and will consider any variation from that agreed contract by you to be a breach of contract and will proceed to litigation to rectify, so - I will have that specific car at the agreed price on the agreed date - or suffer the consequences.

Fail to show up. Contact them and give one of Good-Excuses-to-Miss-Work-on-Short-Notice and say you can collect on X (i.e. when you are back in Blighty). So long as that is before month/quarter end I reckon they'd take that, rather than have extra-work to allocate to a different punter.

That list of excuses gave me an idea. Call in the day before - wait, you might have to do this by text or email, or possibly get one of those voice changing things if you have Y chromosomes

Contact them the day before and say "I'll be there tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it" then contact them on the day of the pickup ... but it HAS to be a bloke you're talking to and tell them you've got horrible menstrual cramps. If necessary (ie YOU'RE a bloke as well) you might look up some information on the internet and then go into WAY TOO MUCH DETAIL for a normal conversation. Keep it going for at least five to ten minutes - long enough for the guy you're talking to to go completely white and start shaking. At that point he'll gladly agree to just about anything, and that's when you suggest you'll probably be fully recovered the day after you get back

• Funny
Reactions: H43lio
If you've paid a deposit, and you agreed collection date at the point of agreeing to purchase then you've formed a contract with Tesla (to be honest you dont have to have actually paid a deposit but it strengthens your case). A contract is established after the offer, an acceptance and for an agreed price - and thats that. They are not legally allowed to unilaterally alter that contract - any alteration has to be agreed by both parties.
It matters not if someone higher in authority decides the people you dealt with making the purchase didn't have the authority to make that decision because the company have vicarious liability for the actions or omissions of their employees.

If you want to pick your car up at the date period you initially agreed - call their bluff. Ring them back and tell whoever, you agreed a price for a particular vehicle and also agreed when you would pick it up - I have formed a contract with you and will consider any variation from that agreed contract by you to be a breach of contract and will proceed to litigation to rectify, so - I will have that specific car at the agreed price on the agreed date - or suffer the consequences.
I’ve checked the order agreement and it does state in the small print that the car must be collected within 7 days of ready date. If this doesn’t happen, they can sell the car to someone else! This seems ridiculous.

I’ve checked the order agreement and it does state in the small print that the car must be collected within 7 days of ready date. If this doesn’t happen, they can sell the car to someone else! This seems ridiculous.
Sorry, i had to leave this chat earlier. You have a verbal contract. Tricky that the standard written contract contradicts it but you did have it at the time. I would stand by your guns on this. Turn up on your agreed collection date, when you return from your trip, and take it from there. Tesla have stock at the moment I am sure they wouldn't want you buying a Mach-e, with all that self driving wadga- me-flip you read in the papers.