Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection Fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve checked the order agreement and it does state in the small print that the car must be collected within 7 days of ready date. If this doesn’t happen, they can sell the car to someone else! This seems ridiculous.
Do you have the agreed pick up date in writing? - If so then the original contract was modified by both parties - and what i said previously stands.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I’ve checked the order agreement and it does state in the small print that the car must be collected within 7 days of ready date. If this doesn’t happen, they can sell the car to someone else! This seems ridiculous.
Their verbal agreement forms part of the contract too. In effect, it overrides the written agreement. The problem is proving it.

Now, if you could go back to showroom and discuss with those that you spoke with before, you could probably sort out something that works there and then.

If you were prepared to pay in full in the timescales required by Tesla, that may also be an alternative way forward.

Do you have the agreed pick up date in writing? - If so then the original contract was modified by both parties - and what i said previously stands.
Ok, I’ve checked the docs and this is what I have. I have a Booking Invoice that clearly states “Sold To” with the VIN of said vehicle clearly displayed. That to me is proof that the particular vehicle was indeed sold to me. Next doc is the Order Agreement. This too holds same details for the car but it is in this document much further down the page, that states about the 7 days thing. My argument is, had they told me about the 7 days thing prior to me buying the car, I of course wouldn’t have done so, knowing fine well I’d not be available anyway to collect.

Ok, I’ve checked the docs and this is what I have. I have a Booking Invoice that clearly states “Sold To” with the VIN of said vehicle clearly displayed. That to me is proof that the particular vehicle was indeed sold to me. Next doc is the Order Agreement. This too holds same details for the car but it is in this document much further down the page, that states about the 7 days thing. My argument is, had they told me about the 7 days thing prior to me buying the car, I of course wouldn’t have done so, knowing fine well I’d not be available anyway to collect.
But you haven't bought the car. Just a small deposit subject to the terms of the order agreement. If you want the car, pay for it.

The order agreement is the contract. It includes the 7 day clause.
Not in the UK it’s not. It’s everything used in agreeing a sale, including verbal and additional material.

Whilst verbal is difficult to prove, the OP said that they would not have agreed to buy had they known the clause which imho adds considerable weight that they were told something and, more damming for Tesla, the order agreement was obviously not clear to purchaser BEFORE they agreed to buy.

Welcome to UK consumer protection.

Hi all

I’ve ordered an in stock Model Y with reduced price tag.

Explained to the showroom that I’m away on business and won’t be able to collect for a few weeks. They initially said this was ok, yet they’ve now got in touch and said it’s not ok and if I don’t collect the car in 7 days then I lose it and will be reassigned with something else that might be more expensive!

Anyone had this sort of crap sprung on them?
"a few weeks" is very vague imho but either way if agreed I would want to go back to the the person in the showroom (They should of given you their personal buiness contact details and or followed up with an email?) and ask for an explanation.

"a few weeks" is very vague imho but either way if agreed I would want to go back to the the person in the showroom (They should of given you their personal buiness contact details and or followed up with an email?) and ask for an explanation.
Told them I’d not be able to pick it up until last week in June. Both advisors agreed that was absolutely fine. I’ve got emails now from the advisors apologising for telling me that was ok to do so.

Reactions: MrBadger
Would have been handy to record that apology as an admission of fault by the company via their rep.
The email (one of them anyway)

Good afternoon,

Apologies as I know you’re away now and this is all you need , a fault on my side as I have picked it up wrong.

We have 2 courses of action –

we can unmatch you from that vehicle , make you ineligible until June , we can swap your £200 onto another order , you will lose that price reduction

You can take the vehicle within the 7 day period , we can supply you with £280.00 of Tesla vouchers as a compensation.

Again totally my fault , but I have been told that these are the only options open to us.

If you want me to give you a call let me know.

Reactions: MrBadger
Thinking that too mate. Could work out better for me in the end I know. Just a shame that Tesla have some stupid rules and the way in which they treat their customers sometimes is a bit lacking. Shame really.
I am quite sure they will have more than enough inventory spare by the end of June, I would expect to see some good discounts over the next 6 weeks, I suspect the push for a 7 day collection is due to them knowing there will be something happening in the next few weeks and wanting to secure as many sales as possible