Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color change reduce value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the midnight grey color on my 2016 refreshed S90D. While I like the color, it's so hard to keep it clean and I wish I would have got white. Does it lower the value to paint it a different door than what is listed on the vin? Am I dumb to paint it white? I looked into a wrap but I haven't ever seen one that my OCD is ok with.

I don't know the answer regarding value of the car, but there is no way a white car is easier to kept clean than midnight grey! Black is the easiest color to see dirts, but white is probably close to 2nd on the list. I think of all the colors Tesla offers right now, silver and midnight grey are the least dirt showing colors.

Reactions: ev-now
I don't know the answer regarding value of the car, but there is no way a white car is easier to kept clean than midnight grey! Black is the easiest color to see dirts, but white is probably close to 2nd on the list. I think of all the colors Tesla offers right now, silver and midnight grey are the least dirt showing colors.
I disagree with you slightly on this one. I had a Pearl White car years ago, it was by the far the easiest color to keep clean.

To the OP, I don't have the same nightmares with my midnight silver color as I did with my previous metallic black. It annoys me to no avail right now, but I have to leave my car outside overnight, but it's under my house. Even with that, I haven't notice the dust or dirt accumulation to be any worse than when my car was garaged.

Reactions: Akikiki
RYCO, I can appreicate your initial response might be to change the color of the car. However, have you priced what a complete and thorough color change would cost? Think of the manual effort of removing and reinstalling the weatherstriping and trim besides the scuffing the paint down everywhere including under the truck sides, doors and opening and the frunk. I'm going to take a wild guess for you - to do this right is going to cost you more than $10k. If you really want this, i encourage you to look at trading or selling yours and buying a new one, a privately owned on or a CPO.

Please come back and tell us what you did though. And if you get some color change quotes from some good body shops.

Reactions: thegooch49
I bought the midnight grey color on my 2016 refreshed S90D. While I like the color, it's so hard to keep it clean and I wish I would have got white. Does it lower the value to paint it a different door than what is listed on the vin? Am I dumb to paint it white? I looked into a wrap but I haven't ever seen one that my OCD is ok with.

Even repainting the car the same exact color would reduce it's value since re-painting is almost never the same quality as a factory paint job.

Your best bet would probably be to get a full wrap done, then you can just take it off to return to the factory paint that was protected.

Even repainting the car the same exact color would reduce it's value since re-painting is almost never the same quality as a factory paint job.

Your best bet would probably be to get a full wrap done, then you can just take it off to return to the factory paint that was protected.

In my experience, any major paint work done to a newer car negatively affects the value. Some dealers will use a paint gauge on every panel to check for thickness inconsistencies when assessing your trade. Tesla probably won't take it on trade, or will majorly ding you for it. They already deduct for returning any aftermarket modification back to stock like paint protection film, wheels, etc.

I'm looking at a wrap myself since I can't stand trying to keep the solid black perfectly clean and free of swirls. I'm even worried about a wrap affecting the value since any prospective buyer would not be able to see the condition of the original paint (unless you remove before re-sale).

Reactions: Akikiki
Do NOT repaint. It will reduce the value of the car. If your OCD, probably will find issue with it. It is not going to match factory paint, and a complete high quality repaint will be quite expensive. Be better off considering trading it in for a used/cpo/etc if it bothers you that much.

Or, at least the wrap is removable.

Reactions: ev-now and Akikiki
In my experience, any major paint work done to a newer car negatively affects the value. Some dealers will use a paint gauge on every panel to check for thickness inconsistencies when assessing your trade. Tesla probably won't take it on trade, or will majorly ding you for it. They already deduct for returning any aftermarket modification back to stock like paint protection film, wheels, etc.

I'm looking at a wrap myself since I can't stand trying to keep the solid black perfectly clean and free of swirls. I'm even worried about a wrap affecting the value since any prospective buyer would not be able to see the condition of the original paint (unless you remove before re-sale).

I will take a tons of picture and video of the car, so I can show the future buyer the paint condition before wrap.

I tend to agree that you might actually be better off financially just getting a different car, which is to say it's not worth it for dirt.

Take a fraction of the cash you would spend on a color change and get more car washes. Really.

I have white, and it is on the easier side to keep clean, but you still have to wash it. I bet that blue shows dirt the least, but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: BerTX
Repaint - no way. It will cost a fortune to do right AND reduce the value, and you'll never convince people of your reasoning - they'll assume you are hiding something.

Wrap - also not cheap, but I agree on the appearance - you'll find things not to like (but do a great job protecting the car for a few years).

Trade-in.

Is the issue wet dirt, or dry? The static on the original paint here in CO was a real problem until I had the self-heal coat installed and started cleaning with the right product. Now resists dry - of course wet still is an issue for the sides and rear - disappears right off the rest due to the aerodynamics.

Everyone is right about painting being a bad move. A good job that you would be happy with will cost a fortune and you will still get dinged when it’s time to sell.

I had a white Volt before I bought my midnight silver Tesla. White cars are easy to maintain but they get dirty butts. :D

If you have a modern tunnel automatic washer nearby that offers an unlimited plan I highly recommend you get one. Some people will cringe at that recommendation but that’s how I keep my car shining.

If you drive your car everyday; swirls are inevetible, no matter if you hand wash or not. The key to managing swirls on a daily driver is to keep the surface shining so much that you can barely see them.

I just took these pics of my car after I’ve been driving around in rain and dirty wet streets for 2 days. The RainX and clear coat polish from going through the tunnel once a week really keeps dirt from sticking to the surface. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• 04BAFCA9-B305-4F75-87A4-7C960AF8EAD8.jpeg
    04BAFCA9-B305-4F75-87A4-7C960AF8EAD8.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 71
  • C9B21818-65AA-4213-BBC3-6C35263E9AB7.jpeg
    C9B21818-65AA-4213-BBC3-6C35263E9AB7.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 72EAABE2-04CD-4570-9D08-BA8DBE845F88.jpeg
    72EAABE2-04CD-4570-9D08-BA8DBE845F88.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 57
I disagree with you slightly on this one. I had a Pearl White car years ago, it was by the far the easiest color to keep clean.

To the OP, I don't have the same nightmares with my midnight silver color as I did with my previous metallic black. It annoys me to no avail right now, but I have to leave my car outside overnight, but it's under my house. Even with that, I haven't notice the dust or dirt accumulation to be any worse than when my car was garaged.

Interest, now I may have to consider Pearl White. I remember when I had a white car years ago, the dust shows really easily on it. Not so much on my dark grey or silver car. It never rains here so only dirt is from dust. With the white car, I have to use the California Duster all the time. If I skip a few week, someone will start to finger write "Wash Me" on the car. With the grey car, it just blend in with the dust LOL.