Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color selection poll

Which color do you plan to select?

• Eclipse Black

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Catalina White

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Starlight Silver

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • Pacific Blue

Votes: 40 16.2%
  • Sequoia Green

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Dolphin Grey

Votes: 29 11.7%
  • Sycamore Brown

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • White Water Pearl

Votes: 21 8.5%
  • Signature Red

Votes: 53 21.5%
  • Sunset Red

Votes: 19 7.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was really interesting, thanks! So, based upon that article, what colors did you choose? :)
MikeK, thanks for asking. I have to be honest with myself about maintenance so all Tesla colors except silver and white just aren't a consideration. The volcanic dirt in my area is pervasive, especially during rains which are common. The silver will be the easiest to maintain by a significant margin judging from my observations of cars on the road, talking to people, personal experience with my own cars and articles like this one by a professional detailer. IMO it is very unfortunate that the silver test car is paired with the dark performance wheels because they really don't go together and give a poor impression of silver. I actually love the way both white and silver look with the 19" wheels. But in my situation silver's lower maintenance trumps the extra $750 so I'll be going with silver and 19" wheels. If I lived where there were less dirt I'd buy the white and save the money. How about you, have you decided yet?

Last edited:
Well, I've seen silver with the 19" wheels, and I'll wager you'll be very happy with it! :) What'd you choose for interior?

For me, I've had a silver car for the last 10 years, so I'm wanting something different.

I am waffling back and forth between (Catalina) White, and Blue. I think they both have their plusses and minuses. My parents both had white cars for awhile, and I think the Model S is pretty in white, especially from the front. I have noticed that white tends to really telegraph all of the door gaps and so forth, and I have to be honest and say that I think the way the trunk seam is built into the C pillar is not very attractive from most angles, and this is particularly visible on the white car. Meanwhile, the blue is elegant, rich looking, and will de-emphasize those gaps and seams. But it will get ferociously hot in the sun, and I would hesitate to park it in the shade because then it will get dripped on by the trees.

What would really help me decide would be to know where I could get the car washed near my house (or office) that really knows how to wash a dark car so that they don't scratch/swirl the finish, and who could periodically also do a good-quality wax job. If I knew where, and what it would cost, that would go a long way towards helping me decide whether I could live with the dark color.

On the other hand, in the traffic jam that masqueraded as my evening commute, I noticed that 90+% of the black/dark cars I saw had terrible swirl and scratch marks on them. Even really nice ones like a stunner of an AMG/Mercedes SL. So, perhaps that should be a hint.

In short, no, I haven't decided. :)

MikeK, If Elon is good to his word from yesterday the gaps and seams will become negligible. Maybe they need not factor into your decision at the end of the day. If it weren't for that concern would you go with white? All the colors are actually very sharp and to each his/her own. Since you asked, I'll be getting the textile interior. It will go particularly well with a silver exterior.

What would really help me decide would be to know where I could get the car washed near my house (or office) that really knows how to wash a dark car so that they don't scratch/swirl the finish, and who could periodically also do a good-quality wax job. If I knew where, and what it would cost, that would go a long way towards helping me decide whether I could live with the dark color.

Most likely there isn't such a place. Probably the best thing to do is to get aftermarket paint armour which covers the entire car. I understand this should cost about $4K. There will be swirls from washing (unless you do it yourself) but the paint armour can be removed without damage to the underlying paint. Unfortunately, the factory paint armour only covers a few places and in my opinion looks terrible when new (at least from the pictures posted--I've never seen a Model S in person).

I think, jerry33, that it's highly likely that somewhere in the SF Bay area there's a competent detailer, given the large number of wealthy people driving expensive cars. Demand attracts supply.

@MikeK: sounds like Angie's List would be a good reference, or our friends here on TMC.

Most likely there isn't such a place. Probably the best thing to do is to get aftermarket paint armour which covers the entire car. I understand this should cost about $4K. There will be swirls from washing (unless you do it yourself) but the paint armour can be removed without damage to the underlying paint. Unfortunately, the factory paint armour only covers a few places and in my opinion looks terrible when new (at least from the pictures posted--I've never seen a Model S in person).

Full body armor would be an expense. Here in Napa Valley, several entrepreneurs offer washing your exotic or regular car to perfection, drive to your home or business and do a professional job, probably better than I could do it (not saying much). They charge $20 plus per car per time. Usually once a week or two keeps it looking good. My sister in law has her stable of cars done every two weeks and her cars always look better and better the longer they are under the professional's care. Let me see, that would be only about twice the expense of paint armor, wouldn't it? But I don't know how well paint armor lasts, and you still have to wash it.

MikeK, thanks for asking. I have to be honest with myself about maintenance so all Tesla colors except silver and white just aren't a consideration. The volcanic dirt in my area is pervasive, especially during rains which are common. The silver will be the easiest to maintain by a significant margin judging from my observations of cars on the road, talking to people, personal experience with my own cars and articles like this one by a professional detailer. IMO it is very unfortunate that the silver test car is paired with the dark performance wheels because they really don't go together and give a poor impression of silver. I actually love the way both white and silver look with the 19" wheels. But in my situation silver's lower maintenance trumps the extra $750 so I'll be going with silver and 19" wheels. If I lived where there were less dirt I'd buy the white and save the money. How about you, have you decided yet?

I think silver looks great with the 21 silver wheels! At least you have a choice between dark and silver. I'm so happy not to have to go aftermarket for dark rims.

I think, jerry33, that it's highly likely that somewhere in the SF Bay area there's a competent detailer, given the large number of wealthy people driving expensive cars.

A detailer, yes. I agree. A car wash, not so much. At least the detailers that I know about, and have used, charge something like $600 per time.

Just got my email to configure the car. Glad I talked to you guys first about the white. Ordered White performance with dark wheels and tan interior.

Nice choice Contaygious! Can hardly wait to hear about you receiving it. :)
I'm thinking either that exact combo, or black with silver wheels and tan interior. Third choice would be brown, silver, and tan. Pano roof is a must.

I think silver looks great with the 21 silver wheels! At least you have a choice between dark and silver. I'm so happy not to have to go aftermarket for dark rims.

I agree completely that the silver looks great with the 21" silver wheels... and the 19" silver wheels. My comment was regarding the dark performance wheels which, unlike with the white body and some other colors, do not complement the silver body well IMO. But that's just my opinion. What's great about these color choices and combinations is that everyone can pick what looks best to their eye and/or meets their needs.

Photos from DCs AMP'd test drive

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.444235605606977.103249.100000616237196&type=3

471262_444236198940251_973177667_o.jpg

334232_444236535606884_1912519364_o.jpg

471383_444236752273529_1365103335_o.jpg

428816_444239092273295_1850314030_n.jpg

No Blue at the event. I think I want Blue.

We have received the email to configure our car. My wife and I were at first torn between Cat White and Pearl White. Now we have settled on Pearl with Black Performance interior. My reasoning for Black seats over Beige - the Alcantara suede would get soiled over time. I have had Beige seats in other cars and they show cracks in leather and get dirty and the suede would be very difficult to keep clean. Now we can't decide between the Dark Grey performance wheels vs the Silver ones. We are leaning towards the dark ones because with the panoramic roof and dark parcel shelf and Black leather seats it may match better with the interior and also provide a contrast against the Pear White exterior of the car. What do you guys think of this combination? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now we can't decide between the Dark Grey performance wheels vs the Silver ones. We are leaning towards the dark ones because with the panoramic roof and dark parcel shelf and Black leather seats it may match better with the interior and also provide a contrast against the Pear White exterior of the car. What do you guys think of this combination? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Colour is such a personal choice that it's hard to say. Either one will work with white, so I don't think you can go wrong regardless of choice. The silver wheels give the car a lighter feeling while the dark ones are more authoritative.

I've seen the Pearl White performance cars at the events with the Graphite Grey wheels. My personal opinion: I prefer the silver. But, I'm not buying the car! :)

One of our intrepid forum members got pictures of the white cars with the grey and silver wheels from almost the same angle in LA. Maybe these help. They are from this excellent photo set: Test Drive LA

Admittedly, the car with silver wheels here doesn't have the spoiler or the panoramic roof, so it's not a perfect comparison.

i-Xj4VXCq-X3.jpg

i-xM6jDZB-X3.jpg