Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

compact spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14000miles is a lot of wear, regardless of "plenty of dread left." Did the shop show you tread depth measurements?
No....but they inspected all the tires and didn’t comment
1691790676306.png

That is a normal worn tire at 14k miles. No reputable shop would replace it w/o replacing the tire on the same axle.

Sir, I respect you and wish to be polite. I do feel the above is spreading an exceptionally conservative opinion pretty much devoid of fact. I assume somebody convinced you of these kinds of things, you accepted w/o challenge, and are now repeating it. I'm not going to debate with you out of simple respect, but please allow me to encourage you to challenge what you've been told in these matters more deeply.

Bouba:
You got lucky. Any more to the side and you would have been into the sidewall and/or taking too much flex to expect a plug to hold. As it is I wouldn't hesitate to use that tire in any non-racing situation.

FWIW, it's pretty well accepted that tread mismatch within 1% is within even Tesla sensor detection. In fact, when they first rolled out software update with tire wear detection it was a bit a bit more sensitive and Tesla quickly lowered the software detection. On a 28" tall tire that's over 1/8" of tread depth difference assuming matched air pressures. Nor is there any mechanical connection to be concerned with, so unless sensors complain... Granted there is, in a few AWD locking differentials, cause to be careful re: tread depth differences, but absolutely none of that applies here. That's not to say mythology and corporate policies don't come up with some silly behaviors, but in the real life that's pretty much BS.

BTW, the vaunted "Moden Spare"? When last I looked they were a 1.1% mismatch to factory.

Of course one man's opinion too, so take this with a grain of salt.

My respects to all,

-d

dafish: I wasn't thinking about differences in rolling diameter, but rather the depth of the tread rubber being different, and the difference in traction. The traction of a 14k miles worn tire would be significantly less than a new tire, right? Depth of sipes, harder base rubber vs. surface rubber?

Last edited:
Sir, I respect you and wish to be polite. I do feel the above is spreading an exceptionally conservative opinion pretty much devoid of fact. I assume somebody convinced you of these kinds of things, you accepted w/o challenge, and are now repeating it. I'm not going to debate with you out of simple respect, but please allow me to encourage you to challenge what you've been told in these matters more deeply.

Bouba:
You got lucky. Any more to the side and you would have been into the sidewall and/or taking too much flex to expect a plug to hold. As it is I wouldn't hesitate to use that tire in any non-racing situation.

FWIW, it's pretty well accepted that tread mismatch within 1% is within even Tesla sensor detection. In fact, when they first rolled out software update with tire wear detection it was a bit a bit more sensitive and Tesla quickly lowered the software detection. On a 28" tall tire that's over 1/8" of tread depth difference assuming matched air pressures. Nor is there any mechanical connection to be concerned with, so unless sensors complain... Granted there is, in a few AWD locking differentials, cause to be careful re: tread depth differences, but absolutely none of that applies here. That's not to say mythology and corporate policies don't come up with some silly behaviors, but in the real life that's pretty much BS.

BTW, the vaunted "Moden Spare"? When last I looked they were a 1.1% mismatch to factory.

Of course one man's opinion too, so take this with a grain of salt.

My respects to all,

-d
The tire shop wouldn’t repair the tire because of where the hole is

I wish someone would build a minimal-size emergency spare wheel, a balloon tire with a tiny rim that you inflate only after mounting it and that would be very small before being inflated.

I think being able to limp to the nearest tire shop at 20 mph would suffice. Have never heard of such a thing though.

I wish someone would build a minimal-size emergency spare wheel, a balloon tire
with a tiny rim that you inflate only after mounting it and that would be very small before being inflated.

I think being able to limp to the nearest tire shop at 20 mph would suffice. Have never heard of such a thing though.

Basically an inflatable donuts spare tire? I think some German cars ahve such one.

The "tiny rim" that you mentioned is limited by the size of the disk brake.

Last edited:
Reactions: hgmichna