Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing the older P85+ and the new 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Numb? Floating?

Hah, those are probably just above "boring" and "sluggish" in how accurate they are.

My 85D takes corners like it's on rails. It will throw you through the side window before getting squirrelly. And out does this with zero body roll and without breaking a sweat.

I drove a P85 plus as a loaner and while it felt more violent, it definitely felt not as stable and easier to lose control.

To each his own, but numb and floating....:rolleyes:

Numb? Floating?

Hah, those are probably just above "boring" and "sluggish" in how accurate they are.

My 85D takes corners like it's on rails. It will throw you through the side window before getting squirrelly. And out does this with zero body roll and without breaking a sweat.

I drove a P85 plus as a loaner and while it felt more violent, it definitely felt not as stable and easier to lose control.

To each his own, but numb and floating....:rolleyes:

Agree 1000%! I feel like I'm connected to the earth when I take corners. Zero numb or floating feeling :)

We will agree to disagree with our subjective feelings. I'm proud to be a part of the Tesla family and would be thrilled to drive any Model S.

Well call it what you want. But the suspension on 85D is definitively softer than the +-suspension, and awd surely affects steering feel negatively. You cannot feel the difference? Do a back-to-back test drive.
that said, the traction control on D models is very aggressive. Added to this, when the steering wheel is turned, power is cut. This results in a very stable feel and seemingly impossible to break wheels loose. This is not the same as better handling though.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the P85D is more "idiot" proof, the P85 is for those that can actually drive?

Nothing wrong with a high performance rear wheel drive car. Never was, never will be.

Yes, D-models are def foolproof

4wd is superior. The fastest production cars on nurburgring are all 4wd ;)

The 85D have larger stabilization bars than the earlier models and handles very vell.
I dont like the rwd model s including the +. Tires slipping all the time when accelerating and the steering feel is not good for me that is used to only powerfull awd cars. So the steering feel is just a individual feeling based on what you are used to drive :)

I have a P85D and the only difference in suspension from 85D are stiffer dampers if the car is build before 30 april. After they are the same.

Did more research and the overall gains from having the plus setup for handling and cornering is not greater than the disadvantages for not being able to rotate tires to save tire tread and wear. The 21 wheels will get used too quickly and cost too much to replace even though they look nicer than the 19s. Staggered setup does not allow rotate front to back and vice versa, another disadvantage.

Did more research and the overall gains from having the plus setup for handling and cornering is not greater than the disadvantages for not being able to rotate tires to save tire tread and wear. The 21 wheels will get used too quickly and cost too much to replace even though they look nicer than the 19s. Staggered setup does not allow rotate front to back and vice versa, another disadvantage.
Of course you could get all the advantages of the P85+, but de-stager, or put on 19s... (like I've done)

Did more research and the overall gains from having the plus setup for handling and cornering is not greater than the disadvantages for not being able to rotate tires to save tire tread and wear.

Better yet, keep the staggered rims, which improve the handling substantially (the P90D has staggered rims - enough said) and buy different tires.
Around here, I've read rave reviews about this setup, which costs half the price of the stock tires, rides better, handles the same, and runs quieter:

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
front 245/35R21
rear 275/30R21

Source: Anyone try Hankook Ventus V12 in 275/30/21 yet on P85+ rear?

Of course you could get all the advantages of the P85+, but de-stager, or put on 19s... (like I've done)

That's exactly what I did too.. got two stock 8.5"x21" rims for the rear, and put on Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 245/35R21 on all four corners. It's really the best of both worlds and absolutely no perceived difference in handling. The difference between the staggered 9" rear rims and the 265 rear tires is only 3/4" in width compared to the 245s. That's it.

CPO ISSUES

1. Mileage : Our CPO 85 came with more than 30000 miles on it (57000 km) and the motor and battery were in great shape. Our car charges to 97+% of original capacity, so mileage is not really an issue in terms of car performance/stability/range IMHO.

2. Wear/tear : Buying a service loaner can be a bit different than a former leased car (like our CPO was). A service loaner would be changing hands constantly, and likely not garaged. Let me be honest, when Tesla gave us a P85 loaner, I totally drove the **** out of it, no kidding. I wanted to see how a P85 handled compared to our regular 85, so I tore it up around corners and smoked the tires from stops. That said, given the 6 more years of warranty on drive train and battery you'll get on a CPO purchase of a 2013 car, you'd have nothing to worry about there. Besides, Tesla will give you new brakes and tires if you press them to, as that is what they've done for us.

3. Paint condition : Varies. Best case is a service loaner, as they generally aren't driven long distance on highways, mostly around town in the local service area. Plus, you know Tesla will have the full repair history (if any) on the car, unlike a customer car which could have been fixed at a body shop without reporting an accident. Look for models with the "paint armor" (clear wrap) option, as the hood and front area of the car should be well protected. It's not a full body wrap, just the nose/front. Sometimes this means the mirror caps have stone chips, but the rest of the car doesn't, just something to be aware of.

4. Price reductions : Check Hanks fine EV CPO app and look for cars that have had successive price drops likely due the car being on the market for many months, and so it reduces in price due to continued age and mileage. I've seen this on the loaner fleet here in Toronto, as I have watched their prices drop since they were put online 5 months ago.

5. Auto pilot (or lack thereof) : Having a CPO non-autopilot car myself, I can say that the one pedal driving is so much more relaxing and natural compared to driving a gas car that long distance driving is already excellent in a Tesla even without auto pilot. I drove 20 hours (two 10 hour days) from Toronto to New York and back with 4 people and luggage in the car, and it's a total road champ, so smooth, powerful and quiet.

6. Build quality : The higher the VIN, the better the sound insulation and interior fit/finish, the newer and more revised battery and charging systems will be.

7. Early "A" battery pack : Any car older than VIN 12xxx will have "A" revision battery pack, which takes 5 minutes longer at the supercharger compared to newer car. Not compelling for us, we have a 06xxx VIN car that we love, but you should be aware of this.

8. "P" or "D" : Any Tesla is a great car. Believe me, we test drove the P85 and loved it, but purchased an 85 right now to get into a Tesla first, and then see how the market for CPO evolves over the next few years. With 300+HP, the 85 was plenty for us. However, dual motors is a very very compelling feature.

OPTIONS

1. Dual chargers are handy for road trips, and for quick charging at home, but otherwise not a compelling feature.
2. Pano. Just get it. Much better for head room.
3. Air suspension. We needed it due to our driveway. Coil is tighter, and cheaper.
4. High fi audio. Must have. Huge benefit. Wouldn't buy without this option.
5. Tech package is a must. Obviously.