Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparing the older P85+ and the new 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. The car posted last night, I contacted them, drove over this morning to their Dallas store and got a trade in quote. I had in mind what I could sell it for privately (it has cloth seats and 40k miles, so thinking upper $40's, maybe $51k on a good day) - and they actually/shockingly hit my magic number.

[Apologies if getting too off topic] Now I'm trying to see if I can can transfer or cash out the last 2 prepaid services visits and the $4k extended warranty. Anybody else had success with that?

You can try to find a unicorn P85+ with AP... :)

There were P85/P85+ built in Sept'14 thru Oct'14 for a few weeks that has the AP hardware. It's rare to find, but if you can find one, then it might meet your needs.

Thanks for that. The Service Rep who told me that the loaner P85+ had TACC must have thought it was one of those rare breeds. Maybe there is something special that needed to be done besides setting the speed (like the newer models). I only had it 24 hours so I didn't pursue it.

I did decide right then that I wouldn't get a Tesla without the AP package. It is a joy to drive a performance car but painful when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic without TACC.

What is the difference between an inventory car and a certified used car??

None of the P85 PLUS on the ev-cpo have autopilot.

- - - Updated - - -

I literally just put a deposit down on a 2014 P85+ with a 53x VIN. It has autopilot, and the build sheet says it was a March 2015 build!! (it has things like the alcantara wrapped center post on the pano roof)

folks, does that mean all 5xx vin have autopilot?

like this one

85 kWh Performance Model S P52388 | Tesla Motors

How do I check?

What is the difference between an inventory car and a certified used car??
inventory cars were only owned by Tesla themselves, think test drive cars, press cars, service loaners, showroom cars, etc. Whereas a certified used car was owned by someone else and is now for sale again. The distinction is important, because often an inventory car is treated by various agencies as "new" whereas a certified used car is not. This gives better warranty, various tax credits (depending on jurisdiction) and other benefits (for example in my case a certified used car from out of province would have needed a safety inspection, but an inventory car did not because it was "new")

None of the P85 PLUS on the ev-cpo have autopilot.
There are a ton of AP cars available to US buyers right now, none happen to be P85+, but that could change again tomorrow. I'm quite jealous of the massive used car selection you guys have in the USA

folks, does that mean all 5xx vin have autopilot?

like this one

85 kWh Performance Model S P52388 | Tesla Motors

How do I check?
The site will specify autopilot if it has it. if it doesn't specify it, it doesn't have it. the 5xx vin doesn't guarantee it, though you can expect to start seeing them somewhere in the 52x range.
Anything 2015 will have the hardware, but may require software activation (for a fee) if it's not listed as an option on the website.

so I guess the best way is to look at the 52xxx and call tesla dealer and have them check?
If your car has TACC then it has all the hardware bits to become an Autopilot car. If it does not have TACC, then it may not have the hardware bits.... Ask the sales person and get a photo of the lower part of the front grill. If there is no rectangular box in the grill for the forward radar then it does not have the hardware bits.... Also the surround of the front rear view mirror does not have the cameras you are out of luck.

BTW, looking back on my notes a 52xxx serial number seems a wee bit low (for autopilot hardware bits) but there are variances in the VIN assignment, especially if a car was designated for later delivery (when you order you have a 6 month delivery designation). Certainly some mid September 2014 cars did not get the AutoPilot hardware bits but some of those in late September and certainly October and on, did get the hardware.

BTW, back then, Autopilot was part of the Tech Package on October 18, 2014. Autopilot was not mentioned in the Tech Package prior to that date although some cars did get the hardware if they ordered the Tech Package.

Last edited:
...it redlines at like 8800, where all the power is. Was a blast to drive!

That number was significantly lower once they put the larger motor in the vehicle, but regardless this sort of exemplifies my point. Flooring a stock or near stock S2k anywhere south of the VTEC x-over point is going to get you acceleration worthy of a pedestrian Civic. Over said x-over and the pace picks up slightly, but at least it sounds cool! This driving dynamic is the polar opposite of a Model S. I should also note that I've owned and modified MANY Hondas.

Yes, but your Honda also has like 30 ft lbs of torque and weighs slightly more than a wet beer can...

That said, the computer kills basically any fun and/or **** your pants moments if too much throttle is applied mid corner in a D.

My old 911 was "fun" when you applied too much power in corners. I much prefer my 85D which does a good job of keeping my pants dry.

P85+ has a different feel than 85D. The rwd with +-suspension results in a much better steering feel and sportier drive and better cornering than the awd. 85D is considerably more numb and floatier.
0-60 is the same but P85 feels quicker once rolling.