Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of OEM Aero vs Signature Forged 18inch Wheels: Weight | Range | Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quickly used some calculators. I might have screwed this up.
Assuming: 10kg spinning @ radius of 8 inches (this is obviously approximate and probably overestimates the energy of the additional spinning weight?)
At 60mph, wheels are spinning at: 88ft/sec, circumference is 6.89ft, so 12.77rev/sec
Angular velocity: 80.2rad/sec
Moment of inertia: m*r^2 = 10kg*0.2m^2 = 0.4kg*m^2
Rotational KE: 0.5*I*omega^2 = 0.5 * 0.4kg/m^2 * 80.2^2/sec = 1286kg*m^2/s^2 = 1286joules

KE of vehicle at 60mph is 1/2*m*v^2 = 1/2*4100lbs*60mph^2 = 669kJ

So an additional 0.2% improvement beyond the weight savings if you drop that weight?

Please correct obvious errors here. Maybe I'm off by a factor of 10 somewhere? I don't have a feel for what is reasonable, though it seems like the answer would be a small (but significant if you're racing!) effect. This answer due to rotational KE only would drop ~10ms off the 0-60. The weight would be an additional 20ms, so total would be 30ms better 0-60. That's not nothing!

Some results from people here suggest it could be more like 100ms though (could be vehicle variation or driver weight though). But maybe calculations are wrong.
The obvious conclusion is that we should run 30 aspect ratio 18” inch tires to move the weight inward. More torques too!

Seems about right, but i would say that it's pretty much in the noise for 99% of people. The 5% increase in power we just got is WAY more and many people are saying they can't even feel the difference (though some definitely can).

True, and I absolutely agree that unless you are racing a 0.7% total improvement is unlikely to be noticeable to most. (It's a big deal if you're racing of course, even if you don't actually feel it.)

However, when comparing to the power change, note that the power change actually makes zero theoretical and real difference off the line since it only applies (and is more like 3%) above about 44mph. While the wheel weight reduction will be "noticeable" (I have my doubts, though I am sure it can be measured with sensitive enough equipment) right off the line...

i think we need to know how you bent three rims...

great replacement using the stock tires btw!
How do you bend 3 Stock 18” Aeros? Everyone says go to those and slams the 20’s because they say 18’s are the holy grail?

Ski

Highway 101 and 880 up in Bay Area is my personal nemesis..... Tesla service center rep from Santa Clara told me many model 3s been thru the same bent issue :mad:

Reactions: Dre78 and T3SMA
Range Update
Aero: 244 Wh/mi (7750 miles testing)
Signature SV902: 226 Wh/mi (100 miles testing so far, will continue updating)
Signature SV902: 232 Wh/mi (200 miles testing so far, will continue updating)

Weather getting hot in nor cal, start to use AC a lot more

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
Range Update
Aero: 244 Wh/mi (7750 miles testing)
Signature SV902: 226 Wh/mi (100 miles testing so far, will continue updating)
Signature SV902: 232 Wh/mi (200 miles testing so far, will continue updating)

Weather getting hot in nor cal, start to use AC a lot more
any more updates? i am thinking about lowering my car 1.5" and buying light weight 20" wheels from tsportline (19lbs each).i am currently running the stock 18" no aero covers though. i have been wondering how it's going to impact my range.