Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, sad but true. unlike a 15-20 year old iPod or MP3 player, in 2019 the Tesla USB music player can't play or shuffle all songs by an artist across all albums. You can only go into specific albums one at a time.

a workaround for this limitation - I have music on my USB stored in a flat hierarchy - instead of having each artist's folder containing separate sub-folder for each album, I have all songs from all albums of an artist in a single folder for that artist. i.e. at the root level of the USB I have directories for each artist but no sub-directories below that.

then to play or shuffle all songs by an artist, I play the songs by Folder in the USB main menu. Not ideal, but at least it works.

Thanks for the detailed reply. So disappointing that Tesla cannot play all of the songs by a particular artist. I like to keep my music files organized by genre/artist/album so that names of the particular songs do not need all of the detail. That said, perhaps I will get rid of the album sub-folders on the microSD I use for Tesla music so that I can go into the folder structure and play all of their songs. Can definitely make it work but will require several hours of moving song files! Thanks Tesla!

Reactions: supratachophobia
I'd like to amend my previous post, except I can't seem to find it - either it got deleted, or i didn't make it (I suspect the latter). Upon updating to v10 in my model 3, I had the typical bad experiences with usb audio, like ends of songs getting cut off, the player getting stuck in the middle of songs, and erratic resumption after power cycles. I got 4 (I think) different updates in quick succession; and each would have something that worked right, but one of the other things was worse.

But: the latest version, 2019.32.12.2, is working really well, with one small caveat. I haven't had the ends of any songs cut off, the player hasn't gotten stuck at all, and the resuming after power cycles thing is almost perfect - in that it almost always works, the only time it doesn't is the first time it goes to sleep after you pull/insert the drive. In other words, when you first put the drive in, it'll work fine, sort of, but the next morning, it's not going to know where it was, and you'll have to start it again. After that, if you leave the drive in without messing with it, it'll reliably keep its place, even through sleep cycles.

I messed with the hardware involved a bit, as I was suspecting that my previous setup wasn't ideal. I'm not sure the current one is any better, but it does work - I've got a usb hub (Anker 4 port) plugged into the left front usb port, and my wireless charger (nomad v1) is plugged into 2 of those ports, and the dashcam ssd (caldigit tuff nano) is also plugged into it. The music ssd (a sandisk extreme 250gb ssd), formatted in ext4, is plugged directly into the right usb port.

We have now been asking for the music player to be fixed so USB music can resume for over 2,000 posts!

This might just be the longest running unresolved software issue in a Tesla vehicle and they can likely fix this in less than a week.

To celebrate over 2,000 posts to discuss this, should we all have a party somewhere?

• Love
Reactions: kevinf311
I apologize if someone else already mentioned this... A thread with >2000 posts of everyone's unique pet issues is bound to experience some tl;dr.
However, I just did a test, and I'm extremely happy to report that current V10 actually fixes my personal #1 USB media regression that I've been complaining about ever since the bug was introduced in V7.

When browsing music under "Folders", its actually sorting songs by filename again!
(Ever since V7, it was sorting songs in this area by song title instead. This made "Folders" essentially unusable for album playback unless I completely stripped all the metadata out of my media collection on the stick... which I did.)

Of course its still collating entries in "Albums" in a screwed up way (that probably only works for single-artist "Pop" albums). But frankly, I hate automated metadata organization with such a passion that making "Folders" usable again is really all I need to be happy.

When browsing music under "Folders", its actually sorting songs by filename again!
(
Actually technically speaking I believe it's sorting files by the track numbers in the tags - I did some messing around with this when they fixed it (not actually a recent fix, but it was an easy one to miss), and I seem to recall that if you remove the leading numbers from the file names the tracks still show up in track order according to the numbers in the tags. I could be remembering my experimentation and the results wrong though. But still, whatever, it's still a pretty big win in the "please tesla fix this" realm!

Edit: ignore that part above - I redid my little experiment, and You Are Correct® and I had indeed misremembered. It is indeed sorting by file names - if you have a leading number in the file name all is good. It is then displaying the track name that is in the tag, not the rest of the name in the file name. This is all correct behavior, Yay!

Oh, and I reran another little test - I've been collecting files that didn't play all the way to the end, but were cut off 2-5 seconds before they were supposed to. I had them in a dropbox that I shared with tesla. All of those files now play correctly, all the way to the end. Another Yay!

Oh, and...
We have now been asking for the music player to be fixed so USB music can resume for over 2,000 posts!
Sorry for being a model 3 owner poking into a model S thread, but... is the resume after power cycle thing still broken on model S's, or does it at least work as I described it a few posts up?

Last edited:

This might just be the longest running unresolved software issue in a Tesla vehicle and they can likely fix this in less than a week.

To celebrate over 2,000 posts to discuss this, should we all have a party somewhere?

I'm glad I could start such fiasco. Two things, still can't play a whole artists' catalog either by search or manually through folder.

Second thing, I was recently listening to Conan's podcast with Neil Young age they both made a huge deal about needing music in this day and age, be of the highest quality possibly so that fans can hear it the way it was meant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but lossless over USB is the best chance of that? And I'm sure most artists feel this way. So our mission is shared and should be continued. We need a flawless media player.

I'm glad I could start such fiasco. Two things, still can't play a whole artists' catalog either by search or manually through folder.

Second thing, I was recently listening to Conan's podcast with Neil Young age they both made a huge deal about needing music in this day and age, be of the highest quality possibly so that fans can hear it the way it was meant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but lossless over USB is the best chance of that? And I'm sure most artists feel this way. So our mission is shared and should be continued. We need a flawless media player.

Lossless music over USB really is the best way to listen to high quality audio in the car. The built in sound system is amazing when you listen to a well-mastered high quality lossless audio track.

I think more people would listen to USB audio if they knew what a difference in makes with a well curated high quality audio collection.As an added bonus, you have all your music even if you are in the middle of nowhere or in a tunnel.

If they can just fix the music player and have it resume music...

Apologies if this has been covered before--2000 posts and counting makes it a bit hard to find things...

I just picked up my Model 3 on Sunday; just plugged in a USB full of music this morning. I had copied folders intact from my iTunes library, and included a few playlists. Ended up with about 20 GB of extra data because the playlist folders didn't copy tags to existing files, it recopied the files themselves. Okay, sure, fine.

But in the car, it seems that any album I play that's also in a playlist means I end up with two iterations of each track in the album. On Abbey Road, it's "Come Together" x2, "Something" x2, and so forth. I'm guessing that's because it's reading both the main album folder and the playlist folder as the same album and conflating the tracks, yes? (If I navigate to a playlist folder, playback there works fine--no duplicating that I've seen so far.)

If so, it seems the only way to handle that would be to delete all the playlist folders. Kind of a shame, but it's better than hearing everything twice.

Thanks for any input or suggestions,
Robert

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Apologies if this has been covered before--2000 posts and counting makes it a bit hard to find things...

I just picked up my Model 3 on Sunday; just plugged in a USB full of music this morning. I had copied folders intact from my iTunes library, and included a few playlists. Ended up with about 20 GB of extra data because the playlist folders didn't copy tags to existing files, it recopied the files themselves. Okay, sure, fine.

But in the car, it seems that any album I play that's also in a playlist means I end up with two iterations of each track in the album. On Abbey Road, it's "Come Together" x2, "Something" x2, and so forth. I'm guessing that's because it's reading both the main album folder and the playlist folder as the same album and conflating the tracks, yes? (If I navigate to a playlist folder, playback there works fine--no duplicating that I've seen so far.)

If so, it seems the only way to handle that would be to delete all the playlist folders. Kind of a shame, but it's better than hearing everything twice.

Robert
Yep, it's a bug. And it's super irritating.

If so, it seems the only way to handle that would be to delete all the playlist folders. Kind of a shame, but it's better than hearing everything twice
The other hack that is painful is to give the playlist files a new album tag like Abbey Road PL. Then that will show up in its own album which you can avoid. You would still get the same album listed twice but not twice the tracks in the original album.

Robert

Are you saying the car can recognize playlists in the USB drive?

Are you saying the car can recognize playlists in the USB drive?
It doesn't recognize it as a playlist per se, it just recognizes it as a folder with music in it, then plays those tracks.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I deleted the playlist folders and everything is behaving more-or-less normally. It sure would be nice if the car would remember the album I was playing, though...

At least with model 3s it's gotten great at remembering where it is over power cycles (using usb audio). I found a trick to get our place back if it forgets, which it still seems to do once in a while - put the car in park, get out, close the door, then open it and get back in - every time I've done this, it's rediscovered where it was.