Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really tired of Tesla's crappy software updates. On another thread, someone purportedly from Tesla posted that they are aware of the problem, but have no idea when they'll get around to fixing it (that last part, at least, is pretty typical).
Well, Tesla's phone support group sure isn't aware. I spent nearly an hour on the phone with them and they are trying to figure it out. They have no idea that it's just another new bug in another new update. So communication within Tesla still sucks, too.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1101011
I am really tired of Tesla's crappy software updates. On another thread, someone purportedly from Tesla posted that they are aware of the problem, but have no idea when they'll get around to fixing it (that last part, at least, is pretty typical).
Well, Tesla's phone support group sure isn't aware. I spent nearly an hour on the phone with them and they are trying to figure it out. They have no idea that it's just another new bug in another new update. So communication within Tesla still sucks, too.
I don’t love lack of regression testing but this is part of the deal. You get new features regularly. No other car manufacturer does that! You also occasionally get regression issues like this and suffer a temporary loss of features. And you occasionally get changes that you just don’t like. On the whole, though, I like the innovation.

Reactions: 1101011
I don’t love lack of regression testing but this is part of the deal. You get new features regularly. No other car manufacturer does that! You also occasionally get regression issues like this and suffer a temporary loss of features. And you occasionally get changes that you just don’t like. On the whole, though, I like the innovation.
No, lack of proper testing is NOT part of the deal. It's just part of Tesla's sloppy, poor-quality software process. But yes, I do get new features regularly, like reduced charging speeds at superchargers, a poorly thought-out change to autopilot a few years ago that, because of customer uproar, was reversed within a few weeks, reduced functionality in the USB media player routine that had to be added back in on another software update (like this one will have to be), etc. Tesla has taken away more functionality on my 90D than they've ever added. Talk to most 85 and 90 battery owners and you'll find that most have suffered capability reductions at the hands of Tesla's software updates.
You are right though - no other car dealer does that!
There is nothing occasional about regression issues with the software updates. Nearly every one introduces new bugs that later have to be fixed with another update (that likewise introduces new bugs). A properly robust regression testing process would identify the lion's share of these bugs so they could be corrected before Tesla dumps them on the owners.
But I guess it's cheaper to dump the software on the owners, because they'll report the problems and Tesla's software team will leisurely get around to fixing them in a few months, or never to this point in some cases

No, lack of proper testing is NOT part of the deal. It's just part of Tesla's sloppy, poor-quality software process. But yes, I do get new features regularly, like reduced charging speeds at superchargers, a poorly thought-out change to autopilot a few years ago that, because of customer uproar, was reversed within a few weeks, reduced functionality in the USB media player routine that had to be added back in on another software update (like this one will have to be), etc. Tesla has taken away more functionality on my 90D than they've ever added. Talk to most 85 and 90 battery owners and you'll find that most have suffered capability reductions at the hands of Tesla's software updates.
You are right though - no other car dealer does that!
There is nothing occasional about regression issues with the software updates. Nearly every one introduces new bugs that later have to be fixed with another update (that likewise introduces new bugs). A properly robust regression testing process would identify the lion's share of these bugs so they could be corrected before Tesla dumps them on the owners.
But I guess it's cheaper to dump the software on the owners, because they'll report the problems and Tesla's software team will leisurely get around to fixing them in a few months, or never to this point in some cases
Forget it, you are a lost cause. Why are you on this forum wallowing in your discontent? Buy a car you like, life is short!:)

Forget it, you are a lost cause. Why are you on this forum wallowing in your discontent? Buy a car you like, life is short!:)
Because I want to point out the blemishes in Tesla's shining armor since all you fanbois just trumpet your unbridled admiration while turning a blind eye to their issues, that's why.
Refusing to see the problems along with the great things means you're the lost cause, genius.

Because I want to point out the blemishes in Tesla's shining armor since all you fanbois just trumpet your unbridled admiration while turning a blind eye to their issues, that's why.
Refusing to see the problems along with the great things means you're the lost cause, genius.
Hey, congrats, you just graduated to my ignored list!

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: anandoc and Pruitt
2020.12.5 broke my USB music player too (MCU1 70D). USB now no longer appears in the MP at all.

Found the fix!!

(Well, it fixed the issue for me: 2020 MS LR+; I understand that some older MCUs may have different/additional issues)

I discovered, largely by accident with a few "test" thumb drives: whatever drive you have the "TeslaCam" folder in the root directory *must* be FAT32, as we know... and it will ignore any music on that same drive.

I put an additional thumb drive in (FAT32), the USB icon promptly appeared, and it read the music off that stick just fine. Now suspicious, I temporarily renamed the dash cam folder to "_TeslaCam"--the dash cam went away, and the USB icon appeared, with normal access to all music on that same drive (the exact stuff it "couldn't see" after the 2020.12.5 update).

Played around with a few options. Turns out it's happy as long as there are separate partitions/volumes involved. I'm now using the same physical thumb drive I had been using, re-partitioned to have a ~40GB volume for the music (and, it's perfectly happy with the exFAT format for the music, so I left it like that) and a ~210GB volume for the dash cam (FAT32 required).

Annoying (and pointless?) issue, but--not a terribly painful workaround, and should only have to be done once.

Hope this helps!

Found the fix!!

(Well, it fixed the issue for me: 2020 MS LR+; I understand that some older MCUs may have different/additional issues)

yeah, unfortunately doesn't help those of us with older MS/MX without built-in dashcam capability (ie built pre-Aug 2017).
Don't have/never had a TeslaCam folder on my USB. (And no, in case your thinking it, updating to 2020.12.5 didn't blindly add a useless TeslaCam folder to my USB without my knowing it...)

Tesla simply broke USB music playback in 2020.12.5 for the rest of us

I've read speculation that this change is to support newer models dashcam functionality, and may be a permanent take-away from older cars because of the configurations.
I sincerely hope Tesla is not now taking functionality from my vehicle because of some incompatibility, to allow additional functionality in newer cars.