Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That may or may not be the case. I'm going to keep talking about it and complaining about it until I can listen to music in the car reliably. What else can do do?

For all the toys and games they add what a shame they have not fixed the music player.

Since receiving update 2019.32.2.2 on Monday my USB has played music without a single "loading error". Finally. Knock on wood I didn't just jinx myself.

Sad to say V10 has not fixed the music player resuming issues :(

Several times I got back in the car and the music player did not resume music playback but instead needlessly "loaded" my music library for a few minutes before I can play my music.

Hope they get to fixing the music player so USB music will resume reliably.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Sad to say V10 has not fixed the music player resuming issues :(

Several times I got back in the car and the music player did not resume music playback but instead needlessly "loaded" my music library for a few minutes before I can play my music.

Hope they get to fixing the music player so USB music will resume reliably.
SURPRISE! More disappointment..... Seems to be the Tesla-story with the media player.

SURPRISE! More disappointment..... Seems to be the Tesla-story with the media player.

I can;t imagine them not knowing what a big deal this is for people who listen to music in their cars.

Strange such an easy bug to fix remains unsolved for so long.

I say such an easy bug to fix because it looks like an initialization issue. Half the time music does not resume, I can make the music resume simply by closing the door, walking away and reopening the door.

I have never had to walk away. Simply open the door, close it, make sure screens are dark, open the door and the music almost always plays.

I am probably jinxing it, but since getting 2019.32.11 the 3 times I have gotten into the Model X the usb music has started properly. The scary thing is, however, that the USB icon is not darkened. Now instead of always darkening the TuneIn icon it now darkens the Spotify icon so I fully expect that it will not continue to resume the usb music in the future.

I can;t imagine them not knowing what a big deal this is for people who listen to music in their cars.

Strange such an easy bug to fix remains unsolved for so long.

I say such an easy bug to fix because it looks like an initialization issue. Half the time music does not resume, I can make the music resume simply by closing the door, walking away and reopening the door.
I know I’m repeating myself, but these thoughts get buried in posts.

A common systems design technique is called publish/subscribe (or was 25 years ago... I’m sure there are acronyms for it now). It allows for independence of different modules and parallel processing... which are wonderful things. Using this design approach, the main startup task could publish message “we’re starting up! Lemme know when your done!”, and 30 subsystems that control different aspects of the car could, in parallel and more or less independently, go through their wake up process and then report “done!”

Problem is, if there are sequence dependencies, like the USB driver really needs to be running before the media player does its startup, you get issues if the tasks finish out of order.

Given this USB issue as well as a number of other intermittent startup issues I’ve seen (sometimes not displaying backup camera in reverse first time, no PRND indicator on screen, and a few more)... I strongly suspect that this architecture was used widely in the Tesla software. IF that is the case, what seems to us a super simple bug that they just won’t spend a day to fix might in fact require a very intricate diagnostic, redesign, recoding, retesting effort that they don’t want to do.

One software guy’s guess. I don’t think they are just being spiteful to music lovers. But maybe I’m wrong.

I know I’m repeating myself, but these thoughts get buried in posts.

A common systems design technique is called publish/subscribe (or was 25 years ago... I’m sure there are acronyms for it now). It allows for independence of different modules and parallel processing... which are wonderful things. Using this design approach, the main startup task could publish message “we’re starting up! Lemme know when your done!”, and 30 subsystems that control different aspects of the car could, in parallel and more or less independently, go through their wake up process and then report “done!”

Problem is, if there are sequence dependencies, like the USB driver really needs to be running before the media player does its startup, you get issues if the tasks finish out of order.

Given this USB issue as well as a number of other intermittent startup issues I’ve seen (sometimes not displaying backup camera in reverse first time, no PRND indicator on screen, and a few more)... I strongly suspect that this architecture was used widely in the Tesla software. IF that is the case, what seems to us a super simple bug that they just won’t spend a day to fix might in fact require a very intricate diagnostic, redesign, recoding, retesting effort that they don’t want to do.

One software guy’s guess. I don’t think they are just being spiteful to music lovers. But maybe I’m wrong.

Most of the time what prevents music playback is the dreaded "Loading" dialog box where it insists on scanning and indexing all your music for 3 minutes no reason. If they can please just not do that, this issue would actually be solved.

Perhaps they can scan and index the USB drive only when an "insert event" is detected for the USB drive.

So I lost all my USB favorites again, like over 500 or so. Very frustrating, I am about done trying to get this to be persistent. If after certain updates this is going to be reset it’s just unusable. Anyone get confirmation if favorites are stored in volatile memory, and any idea why someone would design it this way. Looking for modern workaround since this *sugar* is among the stupidest design choices In this otherwise advanced car.

Folks, newbie here. Apologies if I should post this somewhere else. If so, let me know and I will move.

I have my .mp3 files loaded onto a USB drive that seems to be indexing and playing well. My question has more to do with functionality. I cannot find a way to play all songs by an artist. When browsing by artist, I can choose specific albums to play for that artist, but not all songs across albums. I would have expected an "all songs" option when browsing by artist without needing to only go into a specific album when browsing by artist.

• Helpful
Folks, newbie here. Apologies if I should post this somewhere else. If so, let me know and I will move.

I have my .mp3 files loaded onto a USB drive that seems to be indexing and playing well. My question has more to do with functionality. I cannot find a way to play all songs by an artist. When browsing by artist, I can choose specific albums to play for that artist, but not all songs across albums. I would have expected an "all songs" option when browsing by artist without needing to only go into a specific album when browsing by artist.
It doesn’t do that.

So I lost all my USB favorites again, like over 500 or so. Very frustrating, I am about done trying to get this to be persistent. If after certain updates this is going to be reset it’s just unusable. Anyone get confirmation if favorites are stored in volatile memory, and any idea why someone would design it this way. Looking for modern workaround since this *sugar* is among the stupidest design choices In this otherwise advanced car.

Tesla might be the only carmaker on the planet whose car does not reliably resume music when you get back in :(

The car is the most advanced car in every other aspect other than resuming USB audio o_O

Is there anyone influential who can tweet Elon to see if they can fix the USB music resuming issue?

It doesn’t do that.

yes, sad but true. unlike a 15-20 year old iPod or MP3 player, in 2019 the Tesla USB music player can't play or shuffle all songs by an artist across all albums. You can only go into specific albums one at a time.

a workaround for this limitation - I have music on my USB stored in a flat hierarchy - instead of having each artist's folder containing separate sub-folder for each album, I have all songs from all albums of an artist in a single folder for that artist. i.e. at the root level of the USB I have directories for each artist but no sub-directories below that.

then to play or shuffle all songs by an artist, I play the songs by Folder in the USB main menu. Not ideal, but at least it works.

• Informative
Some good news:

I noticed today in V10 that the voice search for music SOMETIMES returns USB content. I have not seen this since V8. It's not consistent but at least it's something.:rolleyes:

Voice search has always returned USB content for me when you select All Music...

Just wish the music player would resume music when I get back in the car.

What a shame that half the times I get in the car there is no music playing and then I have to wait a few minutes until the music player scans every single music file I have before I can even listen to music.

repeatedly opening and closing the door until music resumed used to help somewhat in the past and looks like that no longer works to get the music to resume. How crazy is that we have to keep opening and closing a door to try and get music to resume o_O

It's a great bug. Only 1 result of your search will play as of right now.