TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Compressor much louder after v7 update

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JonathanD, Oct 17, 2015.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Hi all,

Curious if anyone else has experienced this. My compressor has always been loud, plan on having them take a look when I bring it in for its first service, but if it was being annoying I used to be able to quiet it by turning climate off and on. No longer. Now it's very loud and doesn't turn off even with climate off. It was 80ish degrees today, so not outrageously hot. 11.5k miles on a 2014 S60. Planning on taking it in sooner rather than later now.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

The compressor should make less noise now with v7, but it really depends if the battery is hot or supercharging makes it kick on to high.

Do you have the sound dampening service bulletin applied? I have a 2013 S60 and the noise is reduced with the dampening and also with v7, but it is not that hot in Seattle these days.

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Remember that the AC can run to cool the battery even when you have turned AC off in the cabin. In this case, you would still hear the compressor running.

4. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Understood the battery may need cooling as well, but didn't seem like a situation where it would be that hot. Wasn't being supercharged, not a super hot day, had not been driving for very long or very fast. Anyway, dropped a note to the service center to schedule an appt, will report back what they say.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I've noticed the compressor ramping up much faster and stronger in v7, Tesla has improved how quickly the car cools down to the set temp. I had the sound insulating blanket installed about a year or so ago, so the noise is much reduced in my car and no vibrations.

6. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Is that sound deadening retrofit something that is standard in later cars?

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Yes. So just imagine how loud it used to be for all of us complaining how loud it is now on cars that have been retrofitted or built this way.

8. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Yeah I don't have the blanket yet, so I'm assuming that will be the remedy, but the dramatic change as a result of the software update was surprising.

9. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Yes it is louder because it ramps up more aggressively then slowly backs down. I like this as it doesn't require as much manual adjustment for those who rely on auto temp as their primary method

10. Sogorman

Sogorman Member

I never noticed the compressor vibrating until tonight. Wether it's related to V7, or not I can't be certain.

11. tanner

tanner Active Member

Without driving my car / without it being overly hot or cold, I noticed that my compressor is significantly louder after v7 too. After just turning on the AC in the garage on my P85, it sounds like a jet engine at fan level 1...

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They changed the algorithm in v7 so it now start in very high. I thought it was better before.

13. russman

russman Member

My fan seems to be run higher/louder after the update. So much so, I'm considering switching to manual fan adjustments, which I've never had to do before.

14. tanner

tanner Active Member

Mine is on manual at fan speed 1 and it's still crazy loud.

15. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

I turned climate off completely today and it was still roaring, I don't know what it was doing.

16. Sogorman

Sogorman Member

could it be the SAS compressor? I have noticed that since V7 my air suspension compressor has been running much more then it used to and I hear the system bleeding excess pressure (like when you open a pressure valve) a few times a day. Prior to V7 the only time I heard the SAS was when the vehicle first turned on and then only for about 15 seconds.