Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer failure - car not waking from sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed for clarity from "Computer fail"

Last Thursday I went out in my 2020 SR+ ,no problem. Later in day went to go out, and screen black, no response to soft or hard reset. Rang Tesla emergency they accessed car, but stated it was asleep and wouldn't wake up. Arranged flatbed pick up for following morning. Went out to car Friday morning to remove some items, and car woke up as normal, so contacted Tesla to cancel pick up. 15 minutes later car dead again. Rearranged pick up which happened two hours later. Taken to Nottingham SC where I picked up m3p as loaner. All happened without trauma. Have received updates though app and several calls/ texts since. Appears that car computer has failed, and new on order. Estimated fix by June 28.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that.
I had a "left hand body control module" fail last week which stopped the handbrake from working ( in a partly on position) and so also resulted in a trailering. Based on searches it seems to be a very rare event as I imagine is a complete "computer failure".
So welcome to the "screwed by random Tesla hardware failure club". I hope it has a very exclusive membership.

Funny enough I had a same issue yesterday it took about about 5 min for the car to wake up. I tried getting in and out and logged out of the app, pedal and scroll wheel reset which I think resolved it but had no way of telling app kept on stating waking up and and eventually crashed out. Not sure if I should raise a service call or not.

Edit: Note I am on software version 14.18.2

Funny enough I had a same issue yesterday it took about about 5 min for the car to wake up. I tried getting in and out and logged out of the app, pedal and scroll wheel reset which I think resolved it but had no way of telling app kept on stating waking up and and eventually crashed out. Not sure if I should raise a service call or not.

Since getting 14.18.2 on monday my Cars been acting funky as well. the e-SIM & emergency call system have failed twice. A Hard reset seems to have fixed it for now..

I was pleasantly surprised by the Tesla response after all the trauma laden posts on the forum in the year I have been lurking. The loaner is 19 reg with only 7 k miles. Nice drive with more pointy steering response that SR, I assume due to fwd. Whilst had loaner it has updated software to 14.18.2. Also not locked for acceleration.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Cloggie

It occasionally (as in way less than once a month) happens - doesn’t mean anything is particularly wrong just something has gotten stuck - usually it will eventually reboot itself if you do nothing or you can force it with the steering wheel buttons / pedals…

Often for me it occurs after the cars decided to do a software update - not always immediately but within a few days of the update.

Reactions: OddJob83
I should imagine it will be locked in "chill" if other recent loaner reports are anything to go by ... so would be less responsive than his SR+ ... unless he's struck lucky and avoided the chill ...

i had a LR with accel boost as a loaner and it wasn’t locked in chill mode. I wish it had been so I didn’t know what I was missing

Since getting 14.18.2 on monday my Cars been acting funky as well. the e-SIM & emergency call system have failed twice. A Hard reset seems to have fixed it for now..

I had that error for the first time (in this car at least) last week too. Although I tried opening youtube and the screen crashed, made a lovely pop sound too which kind of sounded electrical but I'm hoping was just from the speakers.

After a reboot I initially had aECall unavailable amber message which then turned into a red "system requires service, contact Tesla" message.

Did a reboot though and its not been back on since.

Just an update. Got car back this morning. All appears ok. Had to reset everything as if new car, took about 10 minutes. Pick up was well organised, about 2 minutes to give me keycard, and explanation of new computer. No info of what broke. Car was on charge and had 88%.
About 4 people picking up new cars, and several 21 plate parked up.

Mine has started doing this today. Very odd. I’m on the same software as you.

Hard reset seems to have worked for now.