Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concealed Weapon Placement and Mounting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The following business is actually just a couple miles down the road from where I live and I have purchased a couple of IWB holsters from them, but they also custom make and sell a couple of options for car carry options:
Under the Steering Column Holster | Goldstar Holsters
View attachment 108301

The "HOT ROD" Center Console Holster | Goldstar Holsters
View attachment 108302
the first two rigs are not quite legal in FLA, the law says that the weapons cannot be in plain view, the one mounted in a console would be ok but that is not a tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Whitmarsh...what is right for one country is not necessarily right for another. Circumstances and cultures are different.

See...I think the center console mount is ideal but there isn't a center console with a large enough closeable door for it that I can see. They have that sliding door that just doesn't look big enough. I'm going to the next meet up in my area and have a look at the consoles in real life and see if there is something workable.

The towel in the bowling alley without being contained I'm not comfortable with. I drive like a maniac and don't need a loaded weapon flying around. The container mentioned earlier might be a good temporary solution until a suitable console comes to market.
in two years of driving with my weapon carried as I suggested the weapon has NEVER moved from where I stow it. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking for this thread. This is something that has been on my mind since day 1. I've yet to find a good solution and I'm seriously considering creating something that could be commercialized. (If someone will spend $280 for a door for the cubby!)

I live in AZ so for me concealment isn't a big deal. In my Highlander I had a safe inside of the center console that I could move my weapon to if I wanted to keep it in the car (like going into a bar, etc) When not in the safe I had a large magnet that worked great but you need a place to mount it and certainly not just to the inside of the bowling ally.

Let me do some more thinking about this and talk to some people I know who "make things" and I'll report back. It stinks having to keep my weapon on me while I drive - very uncomfortable - and if I go somewhere that I cannot carry I've got to put it in the glove box.

Let me do some more thinking about this and talk to some people I know who "make things" and I'll report back. It stinks having to keep my weapon on me while I drive - very uncomfortable - and if I go somewhere that I cannot carry I've got to put it in the glove box.

Yes...see what they can come up with. If it looks integrated with the car and meets the out of sight, accessibility requirement. I'd be a buyer even at a premium price.

Do not have a console and from what I have seen with Telsa's and other aftermarkets they wouldn't work anyway.

I am perplexed. I could have a seat cover made with a CC pocket which doesn't make sense to me owning premium leather and sitting on cloth.

The obvious is I could keep it concealed on my body but that is uncomfortable sitting for hours at a time. Glove box...no.

Here in Florida the weapon has to be out of sight. I want it to be readily available.

Any ideas?
Under my drivers seat has worked flawless for the last 2 1/2 years in the Model S. I am, once my replacement 90D arrives, going to install a side Holster on my Center Console Insert.

Reactions: nikielizabeth
I have the Tesla center console and there is a perfect space in front of the cup holders in the console. Close the door and it is out of sight. I generally have the door on the console open when I am in the car so it is easily accessible.

Could you post, or email a pic to me? Also with what weapon you are able to fit in there. I haven't seen any of the consoles in real life.

I have the Tesla center console and there is a perfect space in front of the cup holders in the console. Close the door and it is out of sight. I generally have the door on the console open when I am in the car so it is easily accessible.

Are you referring to the space closest to the front of the car or closer to the back? Both spaces are out of sight but the one closer to the back is always covered even when the sliding door is completely open.

Are you referring to the space closest to the front of the car or closer to the back? Both spaces are out of sight but the one closer to the back is always covered even when the sliding door is completely open.
Towards the front of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you post, or email a pic to me? Also with what weapon you are able to fit in there. I haven't seen any of the consoles in real life.
Sure. I'll try to get a pic after work tonight.

Here you go.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: nikielizabeth
Last edited by a moderator:
no, that would not pass muster in FLA, it has to be out of plain sight.

What does "out of plain sight mean"? If it's under the dash, steering wheel where you have to literally be inside the car leaning over with your head on the seat to see it, is that not out of plain sight? I'd say plain sight would be where someone could see the gun looking through the car window or with the door open when standing outside of the car?

Here's what the wiki says:

Vehicle carry without a license when the weapon is not immediately accessible/available for use is permitted.

Handguns – must be either "securely encased" -F.S.S.790.25(3)(l) Some cite this as a grey area or risky- or not immediately available for use.[18] "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.[19] Carry of a Handgun on one's person inside a vehicle without a license is not permitted (except in the case of open carry in accordance with the law outlined above). Once a handgun is securely encased, it can be stored anywhere inside the vehicle and is not limited to just the glove compartment/center console.

But that's for "without a license". Can't find any clear language about when you have a CCW.

Yea...I think the under the cubby or steering column is ok. No way to find out until a cop pulls you over but my experience has been they will tell you about it and send you on your way especially if you declare that you have a weapon (not required) which I always would out of respect.

Mobe, I think the console works fine for you but I know me. That cubby would get full of stuff and make it way less accessible. I think that is the best console overall but like I said before I haven't had the chance yet to look at one yet. Do like the way the cupholders work.

Yikes! I hope you don't have a round in the chamber (I can see one at that top of the magazine stack) and you have the weapons pointed at the soft meaty portion of your thumb. (at least that what it looks like in the picture). BTW I love Glocks!, but went with the Smith and Wesson Shield for CC. Only disadvantage is the safety that takes some muscle memory training (if you use it)

Last edited:
I keep a Glock 17 in my glove box I have it wedged in there with some other items not in a holster it is facing where I can pop the glove box and have it in my hand within 2 seconds or less I have not actually timed it I use the Tesla umbrella on top of it seems to be the perfect spacing. Until I get the new console whenever that my be I will make a mount of some type for my holster in there. Until then its in the Glove box the nice thing about having it in the Glove box is that when in valet mode it cannot be opened.

As far as the Orlando incident which was tragic if just 1 person in that club had a CC and had a gun on them it would have saved a ton of lives.

My children have been taught how to use a gun and not to touch them.

If guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have them then no one can defend themselves.

I too would be interested in a solution that would include some type of door on the cubby below the touch panel for my Sig .938.

Tennisballer - Fla CC law prohibits a license holder from carry in a Bar, thus a law abiding permit holder would not have had a weapon in that location. I have a concealed carry license and am very cautious about the long list of places one cannot carry a weapon. Unfortunately, some argue that list gives potential bad folks an easy list of soft targets.
FYI - here are the exceptions for concealed carry in Florida:

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

Tandy Leather stores carry sheets of Kydex for making custom sheaths and holsters. The plastic sheet is heated in an oven at 350F to become soft like fabric. When hot, wrap it around the item to be stored and press down between two sheets of foam until the Kydex has cooled. The Kydex will exactly match the object to be stored. Best of all if the first attempt doesn't work out just place it back in the oven to make it pliable again. It is easily shaped and drilled with hand tools. I have used it a few times and the only secret is to wrap the item to be stored in a couple of layers of duct tape before wrapping it with hot Kydex. The hot Kydex will make too close a fit without the tape for a spacer.

It might suit your purpose to make a custom holster.

Status
Not open for further replies.