Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Concept] Model X image without nose-cone and A pillar cross-beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen no evidence, in the thread you linked to or in any per thread, that the Model X roof area at the top of the windshield is any different from the Model S. Cars need a strong structural support in that area to protect the occupants during rollover accidents. Elon obviously wants the X to get a 5 star safety rating in every category and subcategory, and he stated that very clearly at the shareholders meeting.
I will not be buying an X, but I am really looking forward to the reveal, whenever that occurs, to lay to rest some of the wild speculation about its design and features.

Will there be some surprises? Of course, Elon has been very clear about that. We shall see soon enough.

It is pretty clear from the pics that there is no cross beam. I wouldn't worry about the safety rating. Ever heard of Lexan, clear as glass, stronger than steel Polycarbonate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you layer some of that stuff in the shield it could be be stronger than a traditional roof. (but what will it cost to replace after first chip or crack?)

An think how cool it would be to have no sun visors, just make that section black at the touch of a button.

Good one AR - you made me laugh out loud. I think my family must think I'm losing it, with the long wait and all. :redface:

There aren't very many good pictures with good hub caps, the best I found was this one (in case you wanted to add them) :cool: :
View attachment 84575

Thanks. :) May have to give the hubcaps another go.

Also, my concept has too small side mirror, that could be fixed too.

It is pretty clear from the pics that there is no cross beam. I wouldn't worry about the safety rating. Ever heard of Lexan, clear as glass, stronger than steel Polycarbonate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you layer some of that stuff in the shield it could be be stronger than a traditional roof. (but what will it cost to replace after first chip or crack?)

An think how cool it would be to have no sun visors, just make that section black at the touch of a button.

Polycarbonate is not stronger than steel.

FWIW, those who have seen the leaked image showing the missing crossbeam, also said it showed traditional sun visors attached to side pillars (because there is no crossbeam to attach to). Of course this can have changed since etc.

Last edited:
Here is an updated concept with larger side mirror and new wheels with hubcaps:

model_x_concept_color_grille_5.jpg

Wild speculation:

I wonder if those stickers on Model X mule windows could be there to cover window markings that might give away their material or the like.

Now I'm referring to the side windows of course, which probably wouldn't be Lexan or Gorilla glass or the like, but instead might have those speculated electrochromic features.

AR, that actually makes more sense than anything else I've read. Along with the image from the electronic tinting company, Gorilla Glass rumor, and finally your idea with the stickers, it makes sense. Put the tint layer between two thin sheets to make an extremely strong (and also expensive) window. Also, has anyone noticed excessive warping of images through the MX windscreen, or is it just me?

Here is a rough concept - on request - with a chrome trim around the nosecone. Personally I'm not leaning on this, but picture made on request. :)

Well done AR, impressive work! I just hope you don't get the driver fired from Tesla. :wink:
I have mixed feelings for the nose-cone trim. I think I prefer it to no trim because it looks more sophisticated to me. My gut tells me that a trimmed nose cone is more likely than a single piece bumper, just based on Tesla's short history.

Well done AR, impressive work! I just hope you don't get the driver fired from Tesla. :wink:
I have mixed feelings for the nose-cone trim. I think I prefer it to no trim because it looks more sophisticated to me. My gut tells me that a trimmed nose cone is more likely than a single piece bumper, just based on Tesla's short history.

I'm leaning on there being a nosecone too - it serves a physical function.

However, if the nosecone is body colored, I'm hoping there might be a chance that it ships without chrome trimmings and rather something like (not exactly like) the trimless concept(s) in this thread, so as to not look like a cone so much.

- - - Updated - - -

I missed this the first time. :)

OMG, the Guy in Checkered Shirt(tm) took a Multi-coat Red uncamoed Model X for a drive in public! ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=84625&d=1434709010.jpg

And a wood panelled version? That way we can all have a more realistic image of the final product

Tesla's approach to the wood-paneling will bound to be controversial, although modern. The entire doors will be covered (aside from windows) with paneling, while the rest of the car remains painted.

I think the licensing collaboration with Citroen will prove to be far more popular, with perhaps one in five of Model X Signature purchasers opting for the Cactus side bumpers?

model_x_paneling.jpg

Tesla's approach to the wood-paneling will bound to be controversial, although modern. The entire doors will be covered (aside from windows) with paneling, while the rest of the car remains painted.

I think the licensing collaboration with Citroen will prove to be far more popular, with perhaps one in five of Model X Signature purchasers opting for the Cactus side bumpers?

View attachment 84681

Mods- how does one give infinite rep?

Thank you, EchoDelta. Much appreciated.

Its crazy what some people request. Do they think this is the new Model-X Design Studio? :rolleyes:

I'd gladly have TMC serve as a pre-release design studio for future models, albeit perhaps with more (and more skilled) designers than myself - and I'd like to stick to toying with things we have some reason to expect or give some odds to. So far I think this thread is mostly in the realm of possible. Whether or not it is likely, that is harder to estimate - one reason why I'm not so big on Model 3 talk is because there is no data to work with. Where there is none, perhaps not yet at Tesla even (Model 3), what remains is fantastical pondering and that's not so interesting to me.