Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

concerns on ordering a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I recall asking Mercedes Benz for service records on a pre-owned car they were selling (CPO, I think) and they also refused, but on the basis of privacy for the previous owner. What I do not know is whether or not I might have been given access to those records once I purchased the car, but I did not.
I know that this does not make it any more correct or palatable for Tesla to withhold the records, just pointing out that it might be common practice.
In my younger days, I usually bought used cars direct from the owners, and got the service records from them if they had them. At least once, maybe twice, I was able to get a dealer to provide me the name and contact information of a previous owner for a car the dealer was selling so I could speak with them about the car. People seem to be more concerned about privacy and liability these days...

Agreed with you David29 ...Where do you think liability comes for previous owners? I thought once you sold the car you are not liable for its condition. Sometimes this privacy bothers me a lot.

Also if dealers can hide the personal info and still disclose the service records at least future owners will be happy.

Agreed with you David29 ...Where do you think liability comes for previous owners? I thought once you sold the car you are not liable for its condition. Sometimes this privacy bothers me a lot.

Also if dealers can hide the personal info and still disclose the service records at least future owners will be happy.

Yeah. Sucks. I am still denied access to my car's service history. I couldn't even get the alignment report from the drive unit replacement, which was done after I took ownership of the car. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth that I am kept in the dark about the history of my car.

FWIW, I recall asking Mercedes Benz for service records on a pre-owned car they were selling (CPO, I think) and they also refused, but on the basis of privacy for the previous owner. What I do not know is whether or not I might have been given access to those records once I purchased the car, but I did not.
I know that this does not make it any more correct or palatable for Tesla to withhold the records, just pointing out that it might be common practice.
In my younger days, I usually bought used cars direct from the owners, and got the service records from them if they had them. At least once, maybe twice, I was able to get a dealer to provide me the name and contact information of a previous owner for a car the dealer was selling so I could speak with them about the car. People seem to be more concerned about privacy and liability these days...

I find this really hard to believe. We've bought multiple Mercedes vehicles both new and CPO and I have always been able to get the service records from them. If you see a CPO Mercedes you want to buy, call them and ask them to e-mail you the car's VMI (Vehicle Master Index) and you will see the entire service and maintenance history of the car down to every single complaint the previous owner had with the car and what was done to resolve them.

If they refuse, they are being lazy, and just ask for a manager. The bottom line is you can get this information quite easily.

If all else fails, just post the VIN number of the Mercedes on the relevant Mercedes forum online and someone with access to the Mercedes database will PM you the car's VMI.

And if you own the car, your service advisor will gladly print out the car's VMI without any of the can't divulge personal information nonsense. They can always redact any personal information....

And for reference, this is what a Mercedes VMI looks like (and yes, this was obtained for a CPO vehicle available for sale just by calling the dealer and asking for the VMI to be e-mailed to us)...

VMI-1.JPG
VMI-2.JPG