Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Push like mad 'cos otherwise everything is 'fixed in an update' or 'factory spec'...And keep taking pics of the new lights/...

Have to say after a lot of German cars from Audi's through to BMW's that had similar issues with their headlights/taillights, I was half expecting my Tesla to have the odd problem. My Tesla has more external problems than my other cars although the interior luckily, touch wood, seems better built.

For all 4 rear lights and both front headlights to suffer from problems, I will push as best I can although feel really deflated with the car at the moment. It's bloody brilliant in terms of powertrain, however I was just hoping to have less than 10 problems to sort out

Hi everyone, I made the Tesla Gurus video linked to earlier and just thought I'd clear a couple of things up.

During the making of the video I had those light units in and out of two Model 3s multiple times. I can tell you that the plastic trim you have to pull back to get to it is pretty strong and flexible so you won't damage it. You could damage one or more of those plastic fasteners though, but they can be bought very cheaply from ebay. I really would advise buying a popper removel tool as well (preferaably plastic or coated metal) as it makes getting them out of the boot lid much easier.

WRT that foam piece which goes around the electrical connector, that was an annoying mistake on my part. I put the light unit back into the boot lid and then saw the foam piece on the floor so assumed it had dropped off. Someone on YT pointed out the error and when I went back to that light unit and took it out again, I had actually installed it correctly in the first place, so there was one gasket on the outside and one on the inside. I'd picked up a gasket which had fallen off another one I'd been repairing. D'oh! That gasket is only there to prevent water entering the boot around where the connector comes in but I wouldn't expect much water to get in there whatever happens.

These light unts were never meant to be hermetically sealed. There are little gaskets around the 3 bolts at the read, and the silicone gasket in the connector, and of course the Gore patch, but if a little air manages to get into the unit it wouldn't cause the sort of fogging a lot of owners see. As a couple of people have said, the real issue is lots of water from rain or washing getting in by capilliary action through the gaps in the plastic weld. If that weld was done properly, the Gore patch would eventually vent excess moisture out and there would be hardly any moisture inside to condense in cold weather.

Maybe the whole plastic welding process has never been properly perfected, as there are lots of other manufacturers suffering from this. Regardless, my feeling about this is that we can either keep throwing these lights in a bin or take it into our own hands and fix it ourselves. I know some have said "why DIY when Tesla should exchange", but look at the eMMC debacle where many owners have had their MCUs fixed by a third party because they're fed up with waiting for Tesla to do what they should have done ages ago. I had one unit replaced by a ranger but cancelled the second appointment I had booked so someone more deserving could get my appointment slot. I've got no problem spending a bit of time fixing this sort of stuff, especially as I know it will then be sorted for good.

Thanks for the positive comments on the video and if you have any other questions about it I'll try to answer them.
Cheers
John

John, many thanks for this,

Quick question, after walking around the estate where I live and looking at various cars, it seems fogging/condensation in some cars lights is a common problem, so question is, how much is too much in terms of condensation in both taillights and headlights in your humble opinion?

I’ve never suffered condensation but now have it in both offside rear housings. There was a small amount in rhe outer rear near side but that’s gone.
Anyone had it fixed by a ranger visit?
Nearest SC is 100 miles away so if it’s not a ranger job I’ll wait for Norwich SC to open.

John, many thanks for this,

Quick question, after walking around the estate where I live and looking at various cars, it seems fogging/condensation in some cars lights is a common problem, so question is, how much is too much in terms of condensation in both taillights and headlights in your humble opinion?

Two ways to look at this I'd say.
1. What is acceptable to you as the owner? Let's face it, some car owners are obsessed with their car being absolutely perfect in every way and will be upset if there's ANY condensation in the lights.

2. If you aren't too bothered about how it looks, then it comes down to whether it's acceptable to the law and also how likely it is to damage the electronics.

I have heard of at least one Model 3 owner being warned by the Police to get it fixed. So that is a genuine concern.

If there isn't any pooling of water in the light cluster then I'd say damage to the electronics is unlikely. The components and PCB inside will be conformally coated, which protects them from moisture and dust, but pooling water sloshing about is not a good idea unless electronics are fully potted.

Now the weather is getting warmer I reckon we'll see a drop off in complaints about this anyway. So it might be worth just waiting a week or two and seeing if that makes a difference to all the cars you've seen with condensation. I bet you'll see a lot of them clear up of their own accord.

I have heard of at least one Model 3 owner being warned by the Police to get it fixed. So that is a genuine concern.

I was warned by the police for having obscured rear lights because of this. My car was parked in a supermarket car park last year when a police officer came over to chat about the car and have a look at it, just out of interest. He spotted the badly misted rear lights and told me that, in his view, they were sufficiently obscured as to be illegal, and told me to get them fixed as soon as possible. At the time Tesla were refusing to do this, on the basis that they were "within acceptable tolerance", but when I mentioned that the police had told me to get them fixed they agreed to change the rear lights for new ones.

• Informative
Reactions: nightowl
6BB01B31-B70E-48B5-BD1C-67E4B02DEDAA.jpeg
81C7D0C1-70E2-4C0B-A4EB-A5F52E3741DF.jpeg
To be honest, they’re not too bad. There isn’t any water as such. As long as they clear for the spring & summer, I’m not too worried. If it just hangs around, I’ll do something about it

Tesla won’t replace unless there are visible water droplets.

I’ve had both of mine replaced and the new ones still fog up a little bit, but not as bad as the original ones.

The only sure fire way to fix them is to seal the edge, as shown in the recently posted video.

View media item 122334
My light looked like this. Booked a replacement with ranger. They came to my house 3 days later, they changed in 5min. I love this ranger service. For my Audi it’s a 20mile drive to the dealer then hang around or have to book weeks in advance for a loan car.

It’s a real plus on the Tesla for me. no service every 12 months with a long line of main dealer things they tell you you need to change. Oh yes sir our latest policy is to sell you new tyres when your current ones have done more then 500 miles. (I exaggerate of course but you know what I mean)

I think I will be pulling my lights out during hot days in the summer and sealing them properly as in the video. It is clear that Tesla haven't sorted this problem with the manufacturer and I wonder if they chuck the costs back to them as Tesla will not be very happy with these ongoing costs surely.
Mine to date only have a marginal bit of condensation in two of them them after a year.

Yeah I'll probably do likewise. Just need to find the energy to do it.

My two replacement ones are better than the ones they replaced, but are not perfect. Have seen some small droplets in them recently. As you say, I don't think the design has been changed in any way or if it has it's not related to the leaking.

View attachment 640493 View attachment 640494 To be honest, they’re not too bad. There isn’t any water as such. As long as they clear for the spring & summer, I’m not too worried. If it just hangs around, I’ll do something about it
Mine does this occasionally too but tends to clear up as the day gets on (on days it's misted). I noticed the colder the day the longer it takes.

View attachment 640517 This is my one of my rear lights. Same light was replaced in Feb 2020 due to water droplets. I’ll be requesting another replacement.
Mine looked like this, which the ranger came out and replaced within minutes. initially, he tried to say the misting was within tolerance but after having a look at the original pic decided as there are visible droplets it needs to be changed.

Moderator comment - post and replies moved from "Water droplets in rear light"

Hey - just noticed I have some water droplets forming in the rear left hand light cluster (closest to the charge port) - has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Attachments

• D9CC1718-49C3-423D-B472-8A621CCDFB5B.jpeg
    D9CC1718-49C3-423D-B472-8A621CCDFB5B.jpeg
    600 KB · Views: 32
  • 6CFCB9CE-73EC-4103-BE47-EF9CDC9E6B97.jpeg
    6CFCB9CE-73EC-4103-BE47-EF9CDC9E6B97.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator: