Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm PUP $5000 refund thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a P3D+ with PUP. I ordered mine shortly after the free supercharging option (with referral) ended, so I don't have FUSC right now. However, I would love to get $5K back instead of adding FUSC if that is possible. As questioned by stvrobinson, what is the best method to initiate this? Call or write an email? Do we just mention Elon's tweet as the source?

As a note... my car was delivered in mid October.

Reactions: Gresh
I also have a P3D+ with PUP. I ordered mine shortly after the free supercharging option (with referral) ended, so I don't have FUSC right now. However, I would love to get $5K back instead of adding FUSC if that is possible. As questioned by stvrobinson, what is the best method to initiate this? Call or write an email? Do we just mention Elon's tweet as the source?

Call them and have them open a case

Just got the following email but no timeline:

Hello xxxxxx,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. We wanted to follow up on your request regarding your Model 3 Performance and the recent price change.

I wanted to ensure you were aware that as a Model 3 Performance owner, you benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging. This is no longer available with new purchases and it is a significant benefit that provides peace of mind so you can use any of our Superchargers, free of charge for as long as you own the car.

If you would like to proceed with the $5,000 refund and the removal of your Free, Unlimited Supercharging please reply with a valid mailing address we can send the check to.

Sincerely,
Tesla Support | 24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752

Ugh, I was hoping they'd have some interface or they'd send an email for me to respond to.

Something other than a support ticket (which sometimes is weeks before they respond) or calling which would take hours.

But, I guess this is a good way of putting speed bumps in so the people who either don't know about it or are lazy/forgetful don't request a refund.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of qualified owners request a refund.

I grudgingly will because of MATH.

The math of this one beats the feel good psychology of free supercharging.

I’m in the same situation. I sent I an email shortly after the price change and I got a confirmation that the Tweet Team is looking into my request. I bet they will either offer us to add FUSC or refund $5k.

What do you mean ‘fight?’

Tesla owes us nothing.

Refund is a stretch. Goodwill exchange opportunity is what this is.

when a merchant adjusts a sales price after collecting sales tax
and issues a refund, it’s against the law (in my state) for the
merchant to retain the sales tax on the refund.

perhaps the laws in your state don’t (doubtful) require this?

in other threads regarding FSD price overcharges, tesla has
refunded sales tax associated with the over charge.

it hasn’t been discussed associated with PUP refund?

when a merchant adjusts a sales price after collecting sales tax
and issues a refund, it’s against the law (in my state) for the
merchant to retain the sales tax on the refund.

perhaps the laws in your state don’t (doubtful) require this?

in other threads regarding FSD price overcharges, tesla has
refunded sales tax associated with the over charge.

it hasn’t been discussed associated with PUP refund?

That's different. Tesla has agreed on their own volition that FSD was overcharged. So yes, it makes sense what you owe is you owe the difference between 5000+tax and 4000+tax.

What complicates the certainty of getting the tax back is Tesla is buying FUSC back from you. Would YOU then owe revenue on this income?

@cpa is pretty good, lets see his thoughts on this. ;)

Reactions: commasign
That's different. Tesla has agreed on their own volition that FSD was overcharged. So yes, it makes sense what you owe is you owe the difference between 5000+tax and 4000+tax.

What complicates the certainty of getting the tax back is Tesla is buying FUSC back from you. Would YOU then owe revenue on this income?

@cpa is pretty good, lets see his thoughts on this. ;)

well, if the merchant sez “refund” then it means your getting a purchase price change
one that they express in dollars, and those dollars were taxed!

now for those of us that received FUSC based upon purchase date rather
than via referral, it complicates the “giving up” part of the argument.

my state views the monitary side of the transaction, and a refund of dollars
means the merchant is required to return the taxes withheld upon those dollars.

Created this thread to track the status of your $5k refund for previous PUP owners.

Ive only received a confirmation from the TweetTeam that they have received my request and will contact me in the future.

Others,please chime in.
Hi. Thanks so much for starting this. I have contacted the company a few times. Initially it was before this thread started and they said "NO". I have sent notes since seeing this but am not getting any response. Anyone have useful advice on how they got action?

Created this thread to track the status of your $5k refund for previous PUP owners.

Ive only received a confirmation from the TweetTeam that they have received my request and will contact me in the future.

Others,please chime in.

thanks for starting this thread,
after multiple emails and 2 calls
I received notification of refund
within 4 weeks from 11/13/18

I hope that tesla includes sale tax
as they did for FSD refunds...

I got my refund!

I just got the email and replied yes. Although since it was a referral bonus I think I should be able to keep FUSC, but I won't risk giving up $5,000 for it.

The one interesting thing is the response quoted an 8 week lead time for check delivery instead of the 4 weeks I have bee reading about.

I just got the email and replied yes. Although since it was a referral bonus I think I should be able to keep FUSC, but I won't risk giving up $5,000 for it.

The one interesting thing is the response quoted an 8 week lead time for check delivery instead of the 4 weeks I have bee reading about.
We all know that it takes hours for each check to print and then 3 weeks for first class mail...

I submitted a request to question via the website about a week ago and got this response last night:
"Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support. We would be more than happy to send this request to our team who is overseeing this project for refunds with the Performance Model 3. Our team will reach out as soon as possible to speak with you on this refund request. Please be aware that there have been many requests in regards to this refund. There is a back log for reaching out for customers, please be patient as all customer requests will be answered by our team."
That sounds fine to me. I'm in no big rush to receive gift money back from a company that I didn't expect to get money back from.

Just got the following email but no timeline:

Hello xxxxxx,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. We wanted to follow up on your request regarding your Model 3 Performance and the recent price change.

I wanted to ensure you were aware that as a Model 3 Performance owner, you benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging. This is no longer available with new purchases and it is a significant benefit that provides peace of mind so you can use any of our Superchargers, free of charge for as long as you own the car.

If you would like to proceed with the $5,000 refund and the removal of your Free, Unlimited Supercharging please reply with a valid mailing address we can send the check to.

Sincerely,
Tesla Support | 24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752
Got the same email on Friday. I replied yes. Then got the same 4 week timeline as you.

I finally got the email this afternoon. I responded confirming to request the refund and gave my mailing address. I later got a response saying they submitted the $5000 refund and removal of free supercharging and that the check will be mailed in the next 4-8 weeks. The question is how soon will the free supercharging be removed...and will we be retroactively charged for any supercharging that was already done?