Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirm PUP $5000 refund thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my follow-up email stating they are sending a check and I will receive it within 8 weeks.

Also, it would be nice if we could keep this thread strictly about receiving the refund vs. debating it. That has already been beaten to death in other threads.

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed or if it was I must have missed it. If someone bought a P3D+ today with a referral code they would get 6 months of free supercharging. I bought my P3D+ with a referral code back in September, so if I get the $5K refund I understand taking away the unlimited supercharging, but shouldn't I still get the 6 months of free supercharging?

By the time you get your refund you will have had free Supercharging for more than 4 months. (Some people will have had it longer, others will have had it for less time.)

For some of you, the 4 week period when the check was to be mailed out has passed.

Can anyone confirm they have received their $5k check?

my 4 week period ended DEC 11th,
I wrote them and asked "show me the money!"

today I got a response from tesla survey,
asking me how effective support was in helping?!?

no response in email or receipt of check...

For some of you, the 4 week period when the check was to be mailed out has passed.

Can anyone confirm they have received their $5k check?

Been 7 weeks for me since confirmation of refund from my DS and nada...

No spoiler and badge for 13 weeks....

No referral prizes for deliveries confirmed over 60 weeks ago (Signature HPWC and Powerwall 2)....

Nothing but great service from Tesla, but hey I have only spent $340k with them in the past year so....

I finally received an email from Tesla about my refund inquiry yesterday. It stated 4-8 weeks for the check, but I hadn't found this thread and I asked to receive the refund and keep my free unlimited supercharging as that was provided via referral. I also said if that wasn't possible I'd like to speak to someone that can clarify the misunderstanding.

I mean, I get they don't have to return the $5k so I should be happy about it even if they take supercharging away, but it still bothers me a bit.

For goodness sake people. Its not a refund.

Its an exchange.

You are selling free supercharging back to them. I absolutely LOVE Tesla, however they are wrong in calling this a refund.

I’m not sure why you mention exchange
when CEO’s conversation anouncing
dealt with pricing inequities of PUP?

CEO said REFUND, email sez REFUND?
what message are you pushing infer by
suggesting it’s an exchange?

I think that the group allowing tesla a pass
on spoilers/badges/refunds is enabling this
behavior!

on another thread a poster mentioned being
“stuck without much visibility?” which seems
to be tesla’s view of customer relations...
then upon next contact a non related issue
(in this case FUSC) surfaces for distraction.

My email from Tesla DS says "refund". Just sayin :)

Yep...you are correct....."Tesla says....."

However if it was a true refund....I wouldn't also owe Tesla something in exchange for the $5000.00

I don't know of may refunds that require you to pay something back. That just makes no sense by definition of what a refund is.

Tesla should have said that they are willing to "Exchange" $5000 for unlimited supercharging. That would have been much more accurate.

Tesla should have said that they are willing to "Exchange" $5000 for unlimited supercharging. That would have been much more accurate.
Many of us don't feel like $5000 is an even exchange for free supercharging which is why it's more of a refund to us. We've done the math for ourselves. For free supercharging to be worth $5000 you'd have to do a ton of supercharging for the entire life of the car. I charge at home and don't travel enough to make it worth it.

You have solar and likely charge at home too, so it's surprising that you've determined it's worth it to you to keep the free supercharging.

In Illinois, for example, it's $0.24 / kWh so you'd get 20,833 kWh for $5000 or fully charge your car from dead over 277 times. If you actually got the rated range of 310 miles that'd be over 86,000 miles solely using superchargers. Assuming the car is never sold or totalled in that time. You must travel a lot.

Personally, I travel/vacation by car 1000-1500 miles a year max, where I'd use superchargers, so that'd take me over 80 years to make that up, especially considering part of my trip uses the energy I got at home.