Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered and paid for mine all via email, exchanging credit card and VIN details . Maybe, if you get that far, you could get FedEx or USPS do a pickup from the service centre.

You would need to get the service centre to package. Mine cost US$75 to Australia and that incuded the 2" hitch, hitch bag and a few packets of candy my relatives "snuck" in :)

Keep persisting, even nag your local service centre more. You'll get there.

Good Luck.
Can you post the email for the US service centre that helped you?

Can you post the email for the US service centre that helped you?

[email protected]

pls don't quote me

Confirmed it fitted in to a motes Australian MX today, just for reassurance.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I've received the hitch and have unboxed it. I don't think I'm going to tackle installation today, but probably later this week.

A couple of initial notes:
  • The receiver is open-ended at the rear, so no worries about any accessories "bottoming out."
  • The safety chain hooks are much, much more accessible and larger. No more reaching way under the car. That'll save us a bit of time in the hitch/unhitch process.
  • The manual also states a 750 lb tongue weight for the device itself. I wouldn't exceed 500 lbs since Tesla's limitation may be in the air suspension, but I think it definitely supports the idea that larger bike carriers will be safe.
It looks well built. I'm eager to get it in place.

IMG_4399.jpg

Draw-tite receiver installed. More in a bit with photos but a few notes:

• The bar doesn't come with a mount for the 7-pin connector. I haven't come up with a permanent solution but it may include welding something onto the bar.
  • The hitch doesn't protrude as much from the bottom of the bumper fascia. In fact, it lines up exactly with the black part at the bottom.
  • Installation took about 2 hours.

What about the towing software. Will the SC download the software to my X for a non tesla part? I'm also curious as to what the cost might be.
It's worth calling and asking. I already had the towing package so that wasn't an issue for me. I can't think of a good reason they'd decline.

As far as the price, it appears to be $750 without the hardware.

Took delivery of my X yesterday... was planning on ordering the tow package the second I inspected my X and it turned out ok... Of course the day I take delivery (yesterday) is the day that the Tow Package went out of stock on tesla's shop..... I really hope they aren't discontinuing it.... just my luck. Anybody have any thoughts/ suggestions... normally I would just go aftermarket, but I'm scared because this vehicle is worth 4x more than any other car I ever purchased and I don't want to void the warranty.

Took delivery of my X yesterday... was planning on ordering the tow package the second I inspected my X and it turned out ok... Of course the day I take delivery (yesterday) is the day that the Tow Package went out of stock on tesla's shop..... I really hope they aren't discontinuing it.... just my luck. Anybody have any thoughts/ suggestions... normally I would just go aftermarket, but I'm scared because this vehicle is worth 4x more than any other car I ever purchased and I don't want to void the warranty.
I replaced my OEM hitch with an aftermarket one because the OEM hitch was less capable (in my view). So I wouldn’t think twice about going aftermarket if I were you.

My write up is here.
Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package

The Tow Package has been a standard feature (used to be in PUP) for a while now, especially for recent builds. Did you ask why you didn’t get one or did you request to have it deleted? Or did you have a very old custom order? What is your VIN range?

The Tow Package has been a standard feature (used to be in PUP) for a while now, especially for recent builds. Did you ask why you didn’t get one or did you request to have it deleted? Or did you have a very old custom order? What is your VIN range?

It was an inventory vehicle, 100D, (it also has PUP by the way) my best guess was that it was made Mar-May '17 Vin is 044XXX
I need to look in the rear once I get home and see if I have that hitch receiver inside... then I might be able to find the bosal adapter for now, and worry about getting the service center to enable tow mode later on. I wont be towing anything substantial (pop up camper ~1600lbs) until next summer. But I do need to get my kuat hitch mounted bike rack operational very soon or my wife and I's biking season is going to be cut short this year.

Gotcha. I am picking up an inventory MX and it just came off assembly line a few days ago, but was strangely missing the tow package. However it seems I will have option to add it back later. This also gives me the option of following @ohmman ’s suggestion.

Actually, the Tow Package was a separate option not tied to PUP. You could have PUP or Towing or both or neither. Now all vehicles come with towing.