Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those interested here are the install instructions that they say should only take ~75 minutes: http://www.draw-tite.com/support/installation/N76143.pdf

It is interesting that the site says the tongue weight limit is 500 lbs. while the install instructions say 750 lbs. But I have no doubt that it would support more weight than the Bosal system Tesla is using.

I wonder what the chances of Tesla making a, reasonably priced, package to provide the light hook-up and enable the software is for people that just install the Draw-Tite solution.

I think with Tesla trying to streamline, its going to be hard to get any out of the box packages from them. They already took out accessory hitch only as an option and might not support tow kit installs after the fact once they have to deal with the Model 3.

If anyone else is interested in making a modest profit for their hitch adaptor, please PM me.
I am in Washington state and would paypal, venmo, bank transfer or whatnot for one of these.

Thank you

Guys, anyone willing to purchase a Trailer Hitch Adapter (1027582-00-A) for me, please?
Tesla wouldn't sell it to me, as my Model X is European and they said they were not allowed to sell this part in Europe. I do have all the hardware installed; I only need the 2" US hitch adapter.

I need it sent to Houston, TX. I have an address there and I can pay with PayPal, US bank transfer, Western Union (not preferred). Will pay full price, plus shipping and whatever extra you want for the favor.

Please PM =)

Cheers
Mladen

@jason1466 I would not make any assumptions that the Draw-Tight hitch can carry more weight. The language used by Bosal about the limitations of unsprung weight state it was at Tesla's request. It doesn't explicitly state it's the receiver itself; it just mentions fatigue. There are eight bolts per sides connected to the aluminum body. It's possible the fatigue concerns are at the bolt points. Putting a heavier hitch on there could possible decrease your tongue weight.

Hi All,
Has anyone conclusively confirmed that the US 2in tow hitch receiver fits into UK or EU models? The UK model comes with a ball adapter which I don't want. I am about to order the 2in adpater via a friend in the US (Tesla US requires a US VIN to order a part, ugh!) and he will ship it over. I am doing this all because I bought a Stowaway2 cargo carrier (looks awesome, great reviews, doesn't sit on a UK ball tow) and am hoping to get this all sorted. Any advice?

If anyone else is interested in making a modest profit for their hitch adaptor, please PM me.
I am in Washington state and would paypal, venmo, bank transfer or whatnot for one of these.

Thank you
I heard US Service centers will sell these to anyone with a US tesla VIN. Why not buy yourself? I can't as am in UK...so I am looking too. Tesla quoted me a price of 120 or something like that, but wouldn't sell when I said I had a UK VIN.

Has anyone actually towed a vehicle with the hardware and not the software?

This question is for someone with the trailer hardware, trailer lights, but no trailer mode software (yellow trailer icon and not blue trailer icon, no trailer mode software button).

Has anyone actually towed a vehicle with the hardware and not the software?

This question is for someone with the trailer hardware, trailer lights, but no trailer mode software (yellow trailer icon and not blue trailer icon, no trailer mode software button).

Towed a vehicle? No.

But I have towed a trailer with my AP1 MX that had the hardware and not software.

Reactions: pjason84
I meant trailero_O

Any issues with just HW and no SW?

At first, none. Eventually led to a $500 repair bill. (It's $750 to unlock the software)

It tows it just fine, but it eventually caused damage to some electronics (body controller?) SC ended up having to replace it and cited excessive weight/improper towing as the reason and I was nowhere near the hitch limit.

I did this when the software wasn't available for us. If it still wasn't available I'd say go for it and give it a shot (and did)

With it available and given the repair vs software unlock price, it just isn't worth the risk and I'd recommend grabbing the software.

Hi All,
Has anyone conclusively confirmed that the US 2in tow hitch receiver fits into UK or EU models? The UK model comes with a ball adapter which I don't want. I am about to order the 2in adpater via a friend in the US (Tesla US requires a US VIN to order a part, ugh!) and he will ship it over. I am doing this all because I bought a Stowaway2 cargo carrier (looks awesome, great reviews, doesn't sit on a UK ball tow) and am hoping to get this all sorted. Any advice?

I will be able to confirm in two weeks when we get our Australian spec MX. See my post below. We get the Swan neck ball too.

Has anyone towed with a Model X yet?

The US service centre asked for my VIN and my invoice states my yet to be delivered car specs and VIN. A relative picked it up and posted to Australia for US$75. Made a total of US$206. Reasonable.

Oops, I thought someone said this part costs over $400 and is hard to order, and I didn't see any others for sale to compare. I had someone asking for a lower price as I read the last couple posts here today, so I lowered it to his asking, and it just sold.

As for the why, I wanted to be able to load up a large cargo tray and swing-away frame with 4 cheap bikes or mulch bags etc, and all the talk of 125 lbs had me thinking about the engineering connection of this hidden hitch. I doubt 125 lbs is accurate, but neither is full tongue weight. Then I stumbled across the Draw-Tite hitch for Model X for $155 delivered, and I ordered one to install to replace the accessory/tow hitch. It will be a permanent "normal" class 3 hitch with 750 lbs tongue weight, and enough tray load capacity for all my use cases. An added bonus is the panel will be cut to allow no air gap to collect road debris and dirt like the hidden hitch. I'll post pictures once complete.
Any update on this? It's on my list once I return from this camping trip. The Bosal removable receiver is a consistent worry for me.

I have the accessory hitch, but going by pictures in this thread all I need is the 2" adaptor to plug into the Bosal receptical.
The accessory hitch that came in a padded zip bag says on it 2000 lb trailer load max. But it has a small ball 1.25" which nobody uses here.
Hi, I'm in Sydney did you manage to find the 2" receiver somewhere? I have a Thule bike rack I can't use and I need this style of receiver.
To anyone that want to swap, I have the euro format that is not really all that common in Oz

I also need a receiver hitch as I have Euro bosal swan neck, and very interested in US 2 inch square.

If any one can help, I have a physical address in USA, (forwarding company), I will pay you the part price and a profit for you, and you purchase it online or by phone and ship it to my address in US.

if any one can help I would be very grateful.

Hi, I'm in Sydney did you manage to find the 2" receiver somewhere? I have a Thule bike rack I can't use and I need this style of receiver.
To anyone that want to swap, I have the euro format that is not really all that common in Oz
Service in Brisbane say they are progressing on a fix to our issue- suggest you call your service guy and delivery guy and harass them to get it sorted!

I ordered and paid for mine all via email, exchanging credit card and VIN details . Maybe, if you get that far, you could get FedEx or USPS do a pickup from the service centre.

You would need to get the service centre to package. Mine cost US$75 to Australia and that incuded the 2" hitch, hitch bag and a few packets of candy my relatives "snuck" in :)

Keep persisting, even nag your local service centre more. You'll get there.

Good Luck.