Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: When is iPhone/Android app coming out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an electrician coming in 2 weeks to install my 14-50 240 plug in my garage. I have heard that the maybe there is or will be an app for the S that will allow you to set the on and off charging times. Anybody have the latest info on this. My configuration is supposed to be an April/May delivery.

Thanks,
Merrill
There will be a way to set charge timers at some point. We don't know the details. In the Roadster you can simply set the charge start time which it will remember for different locations. The RAV4-EV (which has a Tesla drivetrain) allows you to set the time at which you want to vehicle to be charged and it will figure out the start time (it may also just have the generic set start time - Lloyd can chime in here) so there is every reason Model S will have this ability as well. We just don't know when.

I don't believe the anyone has said an actual timer for charging is part of the app.

I strongly suspect the charge timer is very high on their list, but as a general car update, not the app update.

I meant get the car, not eat the car of course:)

I agree it will be an in car update but maybe they are going to release mobile app to coincide with the car update.

There will be a way to set charge timers at some point. We don't know the details. In the Roadster you can simply set the charge start time which it will remember for different locations. The RAV4-EV (which has a Tesla drivetrain) allows you to set the time at which you want to vehicle to be charged and it will figure out the start time (it may also just have the generic set start time - Lloyd can chime in here) so there is every reason Model S will have this ability as well. We just don't know when.

Rev 4 EV has the option to charge now, or choose your charge finish time, as well as climate pre-heat/cool, or both. The remove application lets you control any of these remotely. Let me know if that is not clear to everyone!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage of a "finishing charging by set time" feature?

I have a LEAF and it allows me to configure a schedule. I can also easily see how long it will take to charge. That way I can set the car to begin charging at midnight, when rates are lowest. The car will be fully charged before 7 am, when I would need it. If I needed it earlier, I would simply configure the timer accordingly. I just don't see the advantage of leaving it up to the car's software to determine this very simple calculation.

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage of a "finishing charging by set time" feature?

I have a LEAF and it allows me to configure a schedule. I can also easily see how long it will take to charge. That way I can set the car to begin charging at midnight, when rates are lowest. The car will be fully charged before 7 am, when I would need it. If I needed it earlier, I would simply configure the timer accordingly. I just don't see the advantage of leaving it up to the car's software to determine this very simple calculation.

Given variables such as temperature and the slowing of charge rates as the battery pack gets fuller, for some EVs it is not a simple calculation to know how long it will take to complete the charge. Factor in TOU metering (with a start and end cheap-rate time), and it can be non-trivial to just say start charging at 1am to finish by 7am.

It has also been suggested that as it is not beneficial to leave the car sitting with a full pack (particularly with range mode charges), it is best to arrange such charges to end near the time you wish to leave (minimising the time the car sits with its battery pack at 100% SOC).

A "finish charging by set time" feature makes the car work it all out for you. You enter the 'set time' as either the time you want to leave by, or the end of your TOU cheap-rate window.

Also, it takes extra energy to warm the pack if you start with a stone cold battery in the morning. If charging is set to finish shortly before you need to drive, the pack is warm and ready to go.

The finish by charge setting also alleviates the problem of everyone's charging beginning at the time that the rates drop, creating potential problems for the Utilities.

I downloaded the app and Bluestack. Any hints as to how you zoom in and out of the map using a PC? (Running app in default mode I think--had to do a lot of restarts etc to finally get the thing to run with bluestack; I forgot what I've got in settings!)