Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I never thought I'd be asking this question, but as time has gone by it seems that the CPO prices are getting better. Im a model 3 reservation holder. I'm doing some evaluation math and wanted to ask current model s owners a few things. I live in the Midwest and am considering a straight 60kwh car. I drive around 20 k miles per year. What is the real range? At 75-80 mph? How much does winter steal? It will be stored in a heated garage, so the batteries will start out warm (55 degrees). For those that charge at home what kind of a cost bump can I expect to my electric bill ( clearly I understand electric rates vary). If I were to buy from a private party does the original warranty transfer? It seems that most bugs have been worked out of these car, anything specific to be looking for? Any words of wisdom, or "I wish I'd have done....when I got mine"? Thanks!

I love my CPO and drive nearly the number of miles a year as you and drive the same speeds when not in our wonderful traffic. I went with the 85 for the extra range. Really, it is more about how far you travel daily, more than the total amount. I live in warm sunny Southern California and at 90% charge start the day with 220 mile estimated. I safely do 150-160 miles and get home with 20 to 25 left. I think a 60 would drop that by about 25 or so miles depending on the state of the used pack.

Check out EV Trip Planner (EV Trip Planner), and start playing with it.

My electric bill went up about $150 a month, but my ICE driving bill went down $400+ a month! I also drive on some toll roads for free saving $5 to $10 a a day, plus I have not changed oil, brakes, or done any of the maintenance that I normally would have if I had put those miles on the ICE cars. Based on my payment, I drive the Tesla for about $135 a month, even less if I factor in toll savings. I'll take that!

So again, your answer may lie within EV Trip Planner.

Oh, I never Supercharge. I don't want to sit for 20 to 40 minutes waiting. Another reason for the 85. I'd by a new 100 battery if they decide to sell it in the future.

Last edited:
I just bought a used Tesla about six months ago (Non CPO). The original warranty is still valid. In fact, I had a drive unit replaced under warranty about two months ago. I love this car and I have absolutely no regrets. I replaced all of my CFL light bulbs with LED bulbs and I have not seen any increase in my electricity bill. If you can, I would buy a used 85. I get 271 miles at 90% and 300 full charge. After you buy, you can even add some options such as third row rear-facing seats and the new front fascia. Mine does not have Auto Pilot, but ignorance is bliss...

Brent

I get the rated range in the spring, summer, and fall. Winter can reduce the range as much as 50%, although I'm a few hours north of you. 30% reduction is more typical.

I get the rated range up to 65 mph. 70 mph is a bit lower. Probably lose 20% at 75 mph.

I think the 2014 models have improved quality over earlier models. Ask the owner for Tesla service records.

Tesla has a mixed record delivering CPO cars. Some people say they bend over backwards to fix things. Others say you get it as is. Give yourself plenty of time to inspect the car and do not accept it if there is something you don't like.

Highland Park has been great. No experience with Oakbrook, which is a bit closer to you. Convenient supercharger off of I57 just north of I80.

If you want to extend the warranty to 8 years you need the original owner to do that first. That's $4000. Forum is mixed about whether it's a good idea. There is a $200 deductible per part.

I wish I had AutoPilot. However, you pay for it. Not too many available from Tesla. You can check the TMC marketplace. Pretty nice car at the link below if you want to spend that much. For reference, Tesla offered me $52,000 for my car, which doesn't have Pano, AP, or Smart Air Suspension.

Dec 2014 MS85 $64k DC Area

You should price out a new S60 to compare against the CPO. Keep in mind the new 60 battery is really a 75. You can get Tesla leasing in Illinois if you're interested.

Any model will be fast enough for your needs, unless you want to give passengers whiplash.

Similar position and thought process as you.

Pre-reveal reservation holder for 2x model 3's but wanted to be in a tesla now (conveniently should also improve timing of 3 delivery by being and S owner)

Get in touch with a CPO preowned advisor. I thought I was limited to a stripped 60 but ended up with a 85 optioned to my liking that was in my "60 budget". Oddly enough the CPO cars we're more affordable and carried better warranties on both mechanical and upfront cosmetic than private party.

How are you getting those rated miles? The 100D is the only out that can do that. A CPO 85 might get 235/255.
If I go easy on the accelerator, I get 270 miles at 90% charge. This is not a P85. The 85 is EPA rated at 265 miles. I usually get better than EPA in electric cars. Everyday when I go out to my car, it shows anywhere from 269 to 271 in the lower left corner. Is there a setting that can alter this number?

Brent

If I go easy on the accelerator, I get 270 miles at 90% charge. This is not a P85. The 85 is EPA rated at 265 miles. I usually get better than EPA in electric cars. Everyday when I go out to my car, it shows anywhere from 269 to 271 in the lower left corner. Is there a setting that can alter this number?

Brent
My guess is it's showing IDEAL range instead of the commonly used RATED

• Informative
Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
...What is the real range? At 75-80 mph?
It is hard to define "real" range because it is so dependent on speed and weather. The rated miles range of my 2014 S60 appears to be about 195 miles. Yes, that's less than the EPA range. At 75-80mph in mild weather (70ºF) the range is about 160 miles; speed is a huge range killer, when in doubt slow down.
How much does winter steal? It will be stored in a heated garage, so the batteries will start out warm (55 degrees).
Starting out with a warm 55º battery will help. You can also preheat the car while plugged-in and that will help. However, winter will knock the range down considerably, but it depends on speed (of course) and heater use. If you can get by with warm clothing and the seat heaters, that will help somewhat. But cold air means increased aerodynamic drag and greater tire rolling resistance. Throw in snow and it can get a lot worse (but speeds tend to be slower when driving in snow and that helps). And in very cold weather the battery heater may draw some energy, especially if you have been parked outside for awhile. I haven't actually tried to quantify winter range because I avoid long trips in winter and the range is plenty for local driving (seventy mile grocery shopping trips, with several thousand feet of elevation change at speeds of 60 mph or lower)... If you try to drive at 75 mph at 0ºF with the heater running, the range might be 100-110 miles or so, but that is just a guess because I've never yet done it. If you really want to do something like that you would be better off with an 85 or 90 kWh battery car.

Be aware that one of the disadvantages of the old S60 cars is that they Supercharge much more slowly than an 85. Whether that matters depends on if you plan to make lots of long road trips and whether you tend to be in a big hurry.

Last edited:
Based on the forums, the 2014 seems to have less reliability issues than the 2013. Tech package in 2014 includes:

Autopresent handles
Navigation
Homelink
Autofolding mirrors
Power liftgate
Automatic keyless entry
A couple other things I can't recall - maybe lighted door handles

Parking sensors was a separate $500 option.

Except for Power Liftgate, everything above is standard now. Back then, people in the forum were complaining that the Tech Package items should be standard. I guess Tesla felt the same way.

Since the cars constantly evolve, generally yes. But you have to get a car built September 2014 or after for it to be auto-pilot capable.

I have a question as well. I am in the market for buying a CPO as well (will be officially ready in November). I may just go the Tesla pre own special route but looking at the Ev-CPO spread sheet is what thrills me while I wait. Looking at the spreadsheet, how do I determine by looking at the vin on the cars (i.e. P03713) which one is after September? I know you can filter it out to show AP but some also have that "--" in the column and I was hoping that maybe through error or someone not activating it, finding a P85 or P85+ by chance.

I have a question as well. I am in the market for buying a CPO as well (will be officially ready in November). I may just go the Tesla pre own special route but looking at the Ev-CPO spread sheet is what thrills me while I wait. Looking at the spreadsheet, how do I determine by looking at the vin on the cars (i.e. P03713) which one is after September? I know you can filter it out to show AP but some also have that "--" in the column and I was hoping that maybe through error or someone not activating it, finding a P85 or P85+ by chance.

The "--" in the AP column means it has neither Autopilot nor Tech package. It's not an error. Sorry.

• Informative
Reactions: Camera-Cruiser