Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... while the car can make the assumption that you checked, if the car starts to veer into the path of a hidden car, I don't see why it shouldn't warn. Might that be an enhancement one day?
I agree completely. I am disappointed that Tesla currently does not display blind spot warnings in the side view mirrors like many other modern cars, especially since they have the information available. I suspect they will add it in the future.

Reactions: haroldo
Been spending a bit of time looking through the forums, there's a lot there!
A few thoughts/questions
  1. At first I thought the aero covers looked sharp, but ten minutes in the forums and now I think they're ugly. Probably getting the cap cover kit. Is that the general consensus here? (getting the regular wheels)

totally subjective - I’ll leave that up to you. I’ve done both and then changed out to the 19” wheels because I prefer the lighter silver look with white. Just me.

1. Seen a few posts about issues with the automatic features, specifically I read that some people had brakes being applied when not needed. How common (rare) are these glitches? If the brakes apply automatically, will the accelerator override? Who wins that battle? Not to sound macabre, but if car is about to collide and brakes automatically apply, can a driver accelerate into the collision.

Excellent question. Driver controls ***ALWAYS*** override any automated systems. If the car wants to brake and you hit the accelerator, it’ll accelerate. If it wants to steer left and you turn the wheel right, it goes right. You are ALWAYS the deciding factor. This is very important.

1. How distracting is the telescreen? In most cars, the dashboard is a slight glance downward from the drive path, but in the Tesla, it seems to be a further glance away from the driver's normal gaze. I took the Model 3 for a test drive, but didn't notice it, but was wondering if the screen (with so much more information, etc.) is a distraction?
No - in fact I find it LESS distracting than, say, my Cadillac’s display was. Having everything in one place is great. Also note it changes to “dark mode” (just like a Mac!) in the evenings so I don’t ever find it too distracting or too bright.
  1. I know the car will show cars in blind spot, but I believe (from reading the forums) the car doesn't have blind spot warning (it will use collision avoidance). With all the technical advancements, I'm surprised it doesn't beep, or warn, if driver attempts to move into the path of a vehicle hidden in the blind spot. Considering the technology is all in place, is that a potential software upgrade? Are there other...deficiencies (?)... that are anticipated to be available with an update?
This is a miss. I wish Tesla had put LED indicators in the side mirrors. I do miss those. Is it possible they add audio or visual alerts on the screen? Absolutely possible. That’s the beauty of a software-defined car.
  1. Do drivers use the key card for parking lots/valets? Or do people get a key fob? Seems like the key card wouldn't be able to hang on the valet's key board and easily lost.
Thanks!
I just hand them the keycard. Most places by now know what to do with it. One challenge is car washes - some are well trained, some not. I use the same car wash (Morris Hand Car Wash in Morristown) consistently because they know how to handle the Model 3.

What are some of the mistakes that they might make?

The biggest risk is treating it like a traditional car. You can’t just put it in neutral and send it down the line. As soon as you get out of the seat, it’ll automatically engage Park.
The way to avoid this is to go to the Service menu and put the car in Tow Mode. Then it’ll free wheel.

Some places also don’t know what to do with the keycard.

Should also turn off the automatic wipers but that’s no different than some gas cars.

I got my LR AWD in December and I do not regret it at all. I live in Central Jersey and made a trip to Long Island and back without stopping to charge. (left with 100%, returned with 15%).

Plus the LR comes with a way better sound system, and acceleration you'll never get tired of. Also, my cost with FSD at the time was 54,990 and it was delivered just before they closed the rebate in 2020.

I could have had a performance for 54,990 as well without FSD and still got the refund, but FSD for 8k was worth more to me. Also I'm much happier with FSD than I would be with a performance with just Autopilot.

TL;DR get a long range awd - completely worth the extra cost.

I'm most likely going to get a Model 3. The main decision is battery. I typically drive under 200 miles per week, so I don't think I'd need the extended range, but in very cold (frigid) weather does the mileage suffer? The northern NJ winters haven't been too bad lately, but you never know.
I've read many posts saying the rear wheel drive is sufficient, due to the weight distribution. Have any standard range owners out there had problems with snowy hills or icy roads? Do any standard range owners regret their decision?
Thanks!
The price break for the lower range is huge compared to the occasional minor inconvenience on long trips. Resale value for the longest range, however, seems to hold up better than for the ones with lesser range.

Just wondering about the red light detection. Does the car know there's a traffic light at the physical location based on extensive mapping, or does it recognize a brightly illuminated green light that changes to yellow light slightly above it, then red? Could the car be fooled by something like Christmas lights? Is the car smart enough to handle confusing intersections (red lights with green turn arrows, or "bike green light", etc.)?
I plan on assuming control of the vehicle in these situations, but thought I'd ask.
green-light-bike-crossing-bicycle-bikes-yellow-traffic-signal-47588172.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering about the red light detection. Does the car know there's a traffic light at the physical location based on extensive mapping, or does it recognize a brightly illuminated green light that changes to yellow light slightly above it, then red? Could the car be fooled by something like Christmas lights? Is the car smart enough to handle confusing intersections (red lights with green turn arrows, or "bike green light", etc.)?
I plan on assuming control of the vehicle in these situations, but thought I'd ask.View attachment 658334

Mostly vision but I suspect some possible mapping as well. Not 100% sure. Does not handle complex intersections well yet. There’s a “Big Bang” coming shortly with the new full self driving rewrite. Hopefully we see it around June-July. Hopefully.

Mostly vision but I suspect some possible mapping as well. Not 100% sure. Does not handle complex intersections well yet. There’s a “Big Bang” coming shortly with the new full self driving rewrite. Hopefully we see it around June-July. Hopefully.
Thanks! I don't have my toy yet, so I'm not one to comment, but I can't think of any reason why someone would go full autonomous on local streets, or where there are intersections. It's one thing to use it on a long, boring highway, but considering the tons of things that can go wrong at an intersection, it's clearly not worth the risk. IMHO

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
Thanks! I don't have my toy yet, so I'm not one to comment, but I can't think of any reason why someone would go full autonomous on local streets, or where there are intersections. It's one thing to use it on a long, boring highway, but considering the tons of things that can go wrong at an intersection, it's clearly not worth the risk. IMHO
At this stage I think it's more like an early adopter's "kewl tech to own" than anything. Even for highways, AP is more than sufficient. I wish we could buy pieces of the whole FSD deal. I like the summon and autopark. Maybe the lane switch on highways but I don't $10 000 care about the more advanced stuff. I mean I am moving from a boring beater ride to M3, I would rather drive it. But autopark to avoid parking damage I'd pay for just that.

Ultimately, the idea is the vehicle could take you to work, or dinner, or wherever on its own.
We’re not anywhere near that IMO. So it counts as “neat to have”.
That said, I have the FSD package on both of our vehicles. Primarily, the auto lane change feature is *sublime*. It turns Autopilot from a super-fancy cruise control with steering into something else altogether. I’ve had runs of hundreds of miles without disengaging once. It’s really special.

Ultimately, the idea is the vehicle could take you to work, or dinner, or wherever on its own.
We’re not anywhere near that IMO. So it counts as “neat to have”.
That said, I have the FSD package on both of our vehicles. Primarily, the auto lane change feature is *sublime*. It turns Autopilot from a super-fancy cruise control with steering into something else altogether. I’ve had runs of hundreds of miles without disengaging once. It’s really special.
I agree completely. While auto lane change isn't perfect in every situation, it's really nice to have when you're on the turnpike at 5PM on a workday

Reactions: dmurphy
When we drove cross country on our Model X 2 years ago, we got caught on a torrential downpour somewhere in Arkansas and the wipers couldn't keep up with the rain. I was impressed that AP3 w/NoA, as it seems to have a better view of the road than I did. It was showing cars on the dashboard that I couldn't quite see with my naked eye.

Also, auto-pilot makes driving to NYC in rush hour a bit more tolerable.

You guys don't know cold like us Canadians haha. A friend of mine has a Model 3 and he lives in Montreal . His old 2019 model lost 40% of range in the cold winter months when the temperature was below -15C (5F) however when he upgraded to the 2021 model (he took ownership in Dec, one of the first ones with the heat pump) he lost only 15% range. So clearly that heat pump does make a BIG improvement. I've heard similar stories from other owners and reviews as well.

Last edited:
Yes the heat pump addition is great in my opinion. These cars aren’t exactly cheap, so the addition of the heat pump should make it easier to be used more luxuriously. Leaving the office on a cold day, not as concerned about preheating up the cabin temp knowing less range impact. But yea in the even colder climates, this must be a great addition.

Question about Homelink
My 2008 Camry has a programmable button that paired with my (super ancient) Sears garage door opener adapter. I believe the Tesla Homelink will open and close the door automatically (such a horrendous burden to press the button for the last 13 years...Oh! The humanity! /sarcasm).
If I'm okay pressing a button, my ancient adapter has a visor button that I can slip on.
Does the Model 3 have a built in button that can be trained to communicate with adapter, or does one need to buy the add on to make it fully automatic?