Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. The current used car market is one of the reasons I'm considering a MY. I also think I was a little off on the current "inflation" of my Mazda. It's probably $7k over valued because of the current market.
The glass roof is still a sore spot for me. I'm actually going by personal experience driving a MY three times..and coming away each time thinking Tesla could have done better. There's a huge opportunity for an aftermarket company to come up with an easily installed electric shade or an electrochromatic tint.
Sometimes while considering a vehicle you walk away with certain perceptions that are difficult to explain. One word that kept coming up in my mind was "delicate". This thing just seems fussy. I'm fussy enough, maybe I don't need my car to be as well.
Can't speak to why it seemed "delicate" but it's not. Just returned from another 3000 mile plus road trip through the mountains of Arizona, UT, CO, and NM, zero issues. As for the roof, you're over-thinking it IMHO - put a shade on it and problem solved. I first tinted and then use the shade during the summer as I mentioned earlier and it never occurs to me my head is getting too hot. It seems the hardest problem people have coming from ICE vehicles is just getting used to the transition - once you've committed it's a breeze, just have to make some adjustments. If you're just not comfortable with change and put more stock in being pampered with all the little luxury appointments (and some not so luxury for sure) wait until that EV becomes available. I made my choice a few years ago and will never go back, glad to see my latest fully loaded 535i in the rearview.

Sunroof heat? Y'all are dreaming if you think it isn't an issue, even with heat-rejecting tint. I have the highest rated tint, and the radiant heat from the heat-soaked glass is still too much for my precious head.
Tried the fabric shields: nope.
The ONLY thing, in my opinion, that rejects the light AND the radiant heat from the glass, is the rather unattractive HeatShield product.

How did I determine this? I removed the HeatShield for a day, here in the Fort Worth area. My heat meter (my HEAD!) felt like it would explode when the HeatShield wasn't in place.
Same here. The only fix for the Model Y sunroof for me was the Heatshield product. Blocks 100% of the heat. Unfortunately it also blocks 100% of the light, and that's a shame because it's a beautiful view. For me, it is the best Tesla accessory imaginable, and makes driving the Model Y in Summer possible. No way to do this with tinting. Not this level of cool anyhow. And in the Fall, just pop it off and the beautiful view is back again in full glory.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion
I originally placed an order in late July with an estimate in October, then it moved to November, then December, then January within a few weeks. All that might be based on my specific configuration, but it seems like the 6-month is just a ballpark for simple orders (base config) - it might come in sooner if the Texas factory gets going. However, I gave up and jumped on a demo car that was close enough a few weeks ago (LR, red, B&W interior, tow hitch, 5-seater).

Honestly my biggest gripe so far is just the support / communication. I basically made a duplicate order because there is no way to convert existing custom order to an existing inventory one via online. I know their reps can do it, but sometimes it takes days for a rep to respond (I waited 3 days before getting acknowledged). Since the cars are in such high demand, I just had to eat the non-refundable order fee and jump on the car while it was still available. I also pointed this out to the rep and politely asked for my order fee to be applied to my new order since I wasn't able to reach a rep to convert the order for me - which ended up being a simple no - so basically I paid $250 to skip 6 months of waiting. The rep at the delivery center actually told me to hold on to the other order and just put it on pause until I want to buy a another vehicle (seems like an anti-pattern) and she also told me my scenario was pretty common these days.

Overall, I'm very happy with the car itself. I got a very slight discount for it being a demo car ($800) - it was made in June 2021 and had 3,000 miles on it. Based on some research, previous demo car waves had better discounts associated but considering the extreme demand - I suppose I can't complain too much. I just hope Tesla improves their support and/or online order process. On the up side, I didn't notice any quality issues at delivery.

Regarding the car itself. The car can be warm at first if you leave it outside in a hot/sunny climate (I'm in central Florida). I crank the A/C to overcome that since I love the sunroof too much to cover it. It also helps that I'm pretty short (5'5" on a good day) - even though I'm balding (denial stage before shaving the rest off) - I'm not tall enough to feel the radiant effects that much. I have noticed a bit of phantom battery drain if you don't plug it in overnight and, of course, the EPA 326 mile range is a joke compared to what you actually get in real world driving (still plenty for my needs) - probably 260 without worries; maybe 275 if you cut it real close (there are plenty of YouTube range test videos).

I've scheduled an electrician to install a couple of NEMA 14-50 outlets at my house. I'm trying to decide to get an extra MCU or a non-Tesla 40A wall charger that plugs into the 50A outlet (not sure how long I will be in my current house).

Since my teen needed a car - this provided the perfect excuse for me to get a Tesla (for me, of course). She will be using my 2006 Toyota Corolla - which still has plenty of life left. I choose Tesla because I'm a tech geek and a model Y because I'm getting old enough to appreciate the easier access and better utility SUV/crossovers offer and I can't afford a model X.

I'm probably in the same situation many are in. I have a perfectly good car that I bought new: 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT/ AWD, with every option, perfectly maintained with 48k miles. With the current vehicle shortage my Mazda is probably worth $3-5k more than it would be under normal circumstances.

I've driven the MY Long Range a few times and I'm impressed overall but feel some of it is just odd. I'm going to list some of my concerns about the car and hope some of you here in "the community" can help to quell them.

Frame less doors- The windows roll up/down every time the doors are opened and closed to clear window trim and seal windows better when doors are closed. This seems to be something that was done intentionally to secure repairs later in the vehicle's life cycle.

Sunroof with no shade- It gets damn hot here in Oklahoma. When I test drove the MY I noticed that whatever space age glass Tesla put on this roof it simply doesn't block enough light or heat. I understand there are aftermarket shades but from what I've seen most sag in the middle and look tacky. I've talked to a couple of tint shops and one refused to tint it stating that it could cause heat to build up and crack the glass and the other said they wouldn't because they didn't have the template. This is one area that I feel Tesla really went cheap.

Spartan Interior- This is a Love/Hate thing for me. At first the novelty of it took my breath away. Then I realized almost EVERYTHING is controlled through the display screen. I think there should be either a heads-up display or a small instrument cluster. Although, I did find that I got used to using the center display for speed and other functions. My biggest pet peeve is no dedicated door lock/unlock button.

Thermal battery capacity loss- I've watched several videos discussing this topic and it looks like extreme cold can impact range by over 30%.

Electric door release- The only way to open the doors (from the outside) is thought the electric release door handles. How do you get into this car if it goes completely dead?

I'm still muddling through details and haven't placed my order yet. Tesla's site currently states the delivery date as 6 months out but a service center associate told me delivery would likely be 2-4 months.
Mazdas are hard to say goodbye too. Fantastic cars way above their price point. I just traded-in a 2018 Mazda 3 for the Model Y a week ago. The Zoom Zoom served me very well and I loved the finish, the ride, everything about it. Can't beat that car at $20k price point.

However her value went up, I got a fantastic quote and Tesla was my dream car for many years. All aligned for a perfect time for me to switch.

That being said - Tesla is the best car I have driven. Nothing comes close. I am deeply biased about Tesla and rave about them but still I was not prepared for the sheer experience of owning one. It is just better than I imagined so far.

I am not writing from an established position having the car for only 7 days and putting only 400 miles on it so far but here are my 2 cents:

Frameless doors - I really like them. Clean look, feels futuristic. The concern can be about the roll up and down function every time you use the door - just a moving part that can technically malfunction but considering that powered windows last years and years on cars I am not too concerned.

Sunroof - I live in SoCal, leaving the car at work in full sun for full day. Cooler than the Mazda after 8 hours, also with black interior. The sunroof blocks 95% of VLT and has very good UV block. Watch one of the latest videos about their glass on Tesla YouTube channel. Keep in mind that the car has overheat protection function and can sporadically run fans or A/C to cool down the interior while parked and locked. Plus I can vent windows or run the A/C myself from my phone at any time. The overall convenience factor of this car is insane.

Spartan interior - this is subjective of course. For me this is the best car interior I had the pleasure to use. It stills feels luxurious to me but I never owned anything of a Mercedes class, mind you. I literally didn't buy a Toyota Camry Hybrid when I shopped for a new car just because of all that 80s era button extravaganza. I absolutely LOVE the interior of Tesla, I even feel that the S has too much stuff (pre refresh / Plaid). Perfect minimalism and I love the screen controls.

Thermal battery loss - can't elaborate on that - SoCal. I know it is a thing but nothing of a concern for a California owner, understandably. If I was living in a colder climate, I would add this to the top of my list of concerns when considering an EV for a new car. Teslas still have the best battery technology and the best battery management system on the market.

Electric door release - this can be a concern, surprising that Teslas have no service slots for mechanical door release from the outside. In normal car you still have normal key lock and a spare key with your fob.

Long story short - seems like you really want to get into the EV game and you want a Tesla. Cars are moving machines and they can go wrong at any time. Tesla still has the least moving parts in a car and show me a car with that amount of fun, utility and useful technology in that price point. You can keep asking yourself tons of questions but in the end it all comes down to how important it is for you to enjoy driving a car. I drive a lot, over 80 miles a day and right now I can't imagine driving anything else than a Tesla. That is how good it is, literally life changing. I used to come very tired from my commute in a very comfortable Mazda - now I just look forward to commute, to drive it anywhere. I am less stressed on the road, much more relaxed. For me, the car is worth it just for that honestly.

Last edited:
Our Jaguar I-Pace is superior in every single way except range and charging infrastructure.
Oooh, I bet......but it's also 50% more expensive. I seriously thought about whether I could afford an iPace, but the more acceptable cost and better range led me back to the Tesla MY. The iPace is a luxury EV, and I don't understand people who keep talking about Teslas as if they are luxury cars, or should be luxury at that price. They're still thinking purchase price in terms of ICE cars. The MY is a luxurious ride compared to a Bolt, but it's not a luxury car.

Reactions: Dennisis
Oooh, I bet......but it's also 50% more expensive. I seriously thought about whether I could afford an iPace, but the more acceptable cost and better range led me back to the Tesla MY. The iPace is a luxury EV, and I don't understand people who keep talking about Teslas as if they are luxury cars, or should be luxury at that price. They're still thinking purchase price in terms of ICE cars. The MY is a luxurious ride compared to a Bolt, but it's not a luxury car.
The base model I-Pace was pretty close to the performance MY in price. Not sure why the car bombed so much in the US. I'd have bought a second I-Pace, but I like variety and, as I said, wanted the range and charging infrastructure. I looked at the norcal socal drive in the I-Pace and didn't like how much I'd have to wait for charging. The MY can do it with two charges of 30 minutes each.
So, great for the Costco runs?... ;)
Both cars do fine on Costco runs, and doubly so with the rear seats down.

The luxury of the MY is nonexistant. This is NOT a luxury car. Not even close. It is a luxury price, though.

That all said, I'm not trying to sell the MY. There's nothing better for my needs available right now. Maybe the new BMWs?

Used car prices are very high right now. If you're this dissatisfied with your car, maybe you should sell it?
I didn't say I was dissatisfied with my Y, only that I miss what seems to me to be additions that it should
come with for the msrp. Especially blind spot monitoring - big safety concern.
I can see Elon adding these in the future as competition heats up, and they have these common
features included, either at a lower cost, or similar cost to the Tesla. Competition is the thing.
Sadly, at this time, there is no solid competition for the Tesla - this will be changing within the next year or two.

Yes, very strange how that has been going on for years now. Demand for Teslas consistently exceeds supply even as Tesla adds production lines in Fremont and a huge new factory in China. Tesla keeps increasing prices and has sales growth rates every year that are the envy of all the much older car companies. I guess Tesla makes pretty damn good cars; who knew? ;)
At this point in time, they're the main game in town, and the one all others are compared to.
Sales will slow once competition heats up and all the new ev's hit the market within a year or two.

The lack of standard Homelink and vented seats at this price range is almost inexcusable. I just keep hoping the 2022 Y will come with ventilated seats but I highly doubt it?
The main way Tesla will change its ways is (wait for it....) COMPETITION.
I think within a year or two, we will see many features common to any other brand, begin to appear on Tesla's.

Reactions: Exelion
That may work if you park your car in your garage at home. If you park outside you are risking
someone coming along, smashing your window, opening your garage door because you conveniently
left the opener in clear view, and emptying out your garage, or worse.
That's a pretty specific risk situation. A criminal willing to smash your car to get the fob to open the garage, but not willing to smash a window or crack open a door to get into the garage directly.

I'm probably in the same situation many are in. I have a perfectly good car that I bought new: 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT/ AWD, with every option, perfectly maintained with 48k miles. With the current vehicle shortage my Mazda is probably worth $3-5k more than it would be under normal circumstances.

I've driven the MY Long Range a few times and I'm impressed overall but feel some of it is just odd. I'm going to list some of my concerns about the car and hope some of you here in "the community" can help to quell them.

Frame less doors- The windows roll up/down every time the doors are opened and closed to clear window trim and seal windows better when doors are closed. This seems to be something that was done intentionally to secure repairs later in the vehicle's life cycle.

Sunroof with no shade- It gets damn hot here in Oklahoma. When I test drove the MY I noticed that whatever space age glass Tesla put on this roof it simply doesn't block enough light or heat. I understand there are aftermarket shades but from what I've seen most sag in the middle and look tacky. I've talked to a couple of tint shops and one refused to tint it stating that it could cause heat to build up and crack the glass and the other said they wouldn't because they didn't have the template. This is one area that I feel Tesla really went cheap.

Spartan Interior- This is a Love/Hate thing for me. At first the novelty of it took my breath away. Then I realized almost EVERYTHING is controlled through the display screen. I think there should be either a heads-up display or a small instrument cluster. Although, I did find that I got used to using the center display for speed and other functions. My biggest pet peeve is no dedicated door lock/unlock button.

Thermal battery capacity loss- I've watched several videos discussing this topic and it looks like extreme cold can impact range by over 30%.

Electric door release- The only way to open the doors (from the outside) is thought the electric release door handles. How do you get into this car if it goes completely dead?

I'm still muddling through details and haven't placed my order yet. Tesla's site currently states the delivery date as 6 months out but a service center associate told me delivery would likely be 2-4 months.
Frame less doors - My Mini Cooper with frameless doors did the exact same thing. It's certainly not unique to Tesla.

Sunroof with no shade - I will say it's verrry tinted. More so than your typical tinted sunroof in an ordinary ICE vehicle. I too had a concern when I got my M3 as I live in hot Texas, but in reality its a non-issue unless you simply don't like seeing the sun at all when looking up.

Spartan Interior - Takes some getting used to, but you eventually will. It takes some time relearning what you've been used to your entire life to this point.

Thermal battery capacity loss - I suppose this is just a fact of life with current battery technology. We're talking sub-40 degree temperatures however. I live in Texas and this isn't too common during winter months for me. Not sure if OK is much different from us.

Electric door release - In this unlikely event, you could just jump the 12v battery via an external source to open the doors.

As many have noted, once you experience and go fully electric it's very very difficult going back. Having a Level 2 home charging setup makes all the difference in the world, however. Taking into account current gas prices and my off-peak electricity rates, I now realize just how much money I've spent on gasoline over the years. It's difficult to argue only spending $6 in electricity costs to "fill your tank" from empty.

Reactions: ZeeMike
Regarding battery charging, I have a perhaps a dumb question: when charging is the 12v battery also charged?
Or must the car be moving? There must be a DC-DC converter somewhere in the car to eliminate the need for an alternator...yes?

On the Y, does it have a front sensor/camera? Ie currently we use a Q5 and park in the garage. We basically stop right when we hear the front sensor beeping telling my wife she's a foot or whatever away from the concrete wall.

I am reading the Y doesn't have 360 deg or a front camera, but does it at least have some form of sensor for this sort of thing? I figured it did given the auto pilot/FSD stuff must sense objects in front of the car?

If you park outside you are risking
someone coming along, smashing your window, opening your garage door because you conveniently
left the opener in clear view,
Except I didn't leave the garage opener in clear view ;) Didn't I say that?

Besides.....How would they know where I live?

Edited to add: do you mean if I parked outside my house? Why would I do that if I usually park my car in my garage (frequently enough that I have a garage door fob)? Your example seems not just contrived, but unlikely.