Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering getting a Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you watch YouTube 'fully charged'

He had a powerwall installed. Tidy installation. Two things put me off,
first when there is a power outage, the switch over to the power wall is not seamless, upto several seconds downtime. This on/off can damage house electronic equipment.

secondly. You cant power the heating from the powerwall it limited to a several kW demand

Cannot comment on grid back up, but the PW can deliver 5KW continuous with no issues. That's alot of power. You can also stack them, so 2 PWs will provide 10KW, I cannot think of many dosmetic usage that requires that amount of power constantly.

Cannot comment on grid back up, but the PW can deliver 5KW continuous with no issues. That's alot of power. You can also stack them, so 2 PWs will provide 10KW, I cannot think of many dosmetic usage that requires that amount of power constantly.

Im possibly a little unusual that we have an old Groundsource heat pump, it draws 40amps at start up. The issue is with the dropout in power when switching over, the Groundsource would stop and then wouldn't restart because the powerwall isnt capable of supplying start up current.

I would need to do some further research on the finer details of the power wall

I have 2 x Powerwall 2’s with a backup gateway.
They can charge and discharge at 10KWh and hold 27 KWh
I’ve had 9 power cuts and never noticed any of them. The cut in has been seamless. Even my Windows PC didn’t notice.
I have a 10.9KWh PV array, I could in theory draw 20KWh from the whole lot though it’s extremely unlikely.

Im possibly a little unusual that we have an old Groundsource heat pump, it draws 40amps at start up.

So that's 9-10KW? How long does it sustain that draw for, I suspect with x2 PWs you will barely need grid energy even at start up. And honestly how many power cuts do you actually see and for how long?

I've been very impressed by our PW, am looking at adding another one + getting air sourced heat pump + more solar PV.

The PW really is an impressive bit of kit, even more so than our car I would say interms actual daily use.

I have 2 x Powerwall 2’s with a backup gateway.
They can charge and discharge at 10KWh and hold 27 KWh
I’ve had 9 power cuts and never noticed any of them. The cut in has been seamless. Even my Windows PC didn’t notice.
I have a 10.9KWh PV array, I could in theory draw 20KWh from the whole lot though it’s extremely unlikely.

It was mentioned in the comments on Fully charged, some were milliseconds whilst others were several seconds delay in switch

first when there is a power outage, the switch over to the power wall is not seamless, upto several seconds downtime. This on/off can damage house electronic equipment.

That was a bug / problem with his ancillary hardware which he's since had fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: henleyregatta
Sorry VanillaAir_UK, those are correct amounts and I have the British Gas payment slips going right back to when we had it all put in........... we get the high rate of FIT. I've just checked and we had it put in late April 2010 (sorry, longer than I thought!).

No sure why others don't match, but ours certainly are as I have outlined.

Last edited:
So your system must be older than 5 years as FiT prices decreased often a couple of times a year, starting at around 40p per kWh to next to nothing in later years.

I'm still surprised by your amounts even so. To get £2314 in a quarter probably equates to ballpark £5k / year which at say 45p/kWh may be around 11000kWh/year generation (and far more at FiT rates for 5 year old systems) which for a 3.5kWp system is pushing 3x the best generating systems of that size here in UK.

Something in your numbers do not stack up. And I'm not saying that because my 4kW system only generates around 3500kWh/year, I'm saying that because you would have the most efficient system in the UK by a considerable amount if your numbers are correct.

By your numbers, you would have generated (easily checked via the total generation meter) somewhere north of 50000kWh in the 5 years which is well off the top of PV Ladder which is occupied by larger systems that have been reporting for close to a decade.

Was approached a couple of days ago by Octopus regarding switching to Their TESLA Energy Plan.This involved installing PV +a P.owerwall.
You pay 8p per KWH any time and they pay you 8p for exports. Tesla manage the whole process. Presumably they make money by buying energy at cheaper rates and exporting your energy at dearer times.
Sounds good to me rather than doing it yourself?

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
^Ok that looks like a pretty rubbish 'deal'. You also loss your FIT export traiff which current assumes 50% export, and Tesla have full control of the PW software. So the only real 'incentive' is £500 off you first year electricity bill. Doesn't seem really worth singing up.

We have a powerwall, 5kw PV and an ASHP.

Today we were 95% self sufficent on energy. It would have been 100% but we had a couple of spikes where we were drawing more than the 5kw the PW can discharge.

Ours was installed as part of a new build so signifcantly cheaper, no VAT, economies by being installed at the same time as other works. I dont think you would make a profit if you retofitted one but you could probably break even with the added bonus of feeling warm and fuzzy helping to save the world.

Reactions: gangzoom
A week ago, I switched our Powerwall from Time-based control to Self-powered.

In that time, we've used 1.6kWh from the grid when the total house power demand has been 52.2kWh. We're virtually self-sufficient on solar even though we're in the northeast of England and have had a couple of completely overcast days this week. I'm now up for the challenge of seeing how little grid electricity we can use for the rest of the year.

It still amazes me how much free energy there is out there for the world to use...

Reactions: Gatsojon

In that time, we've used 1.6kWh from the grid when the total house power demand has been 52.2kWh. We're virtually self-sufficient on solar even though we're in the northeast of England and have had a couple of completely overcast days this week. I'm now up for the challenge of seeing how little grid electricity we can use for the rest of the year.

It still amazes me how much free energy there is out there for the world to use...

I recently switched to self-powered too.
I’ve noticed that while on balanced, our grid draw was about 500 watts per day, while on self-powered it’s risen to almost 1000 watts per day. Most of that is overnight.
Have you seen anything similar?

secondly. You cant power the heating from the powerwall it limited to a several kW demand

Our ASHP uses about 3kw so the PW is more than capable of runing it.

Hi Kuruma - how many KW of PV do you have?