Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering getting a Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies, I had started writing this this morning, but decided that before posting I needed to double check some facts with a contact of mine at National Grid who works on the balancing system. As it will probably take a few weeks, and a few beers/coffees, and for me to ask questions that he can answer, I deleted most of the post.

Alas, I asked the question, but the opportunity to get the answers over a few beers never materialised and is unlikely to for a very long time :(

But the video below is not a bad one, but unfortunately does not answer the question of, when I flick a switch to charge my car/topup my battery, where does that power come from? It partially covers it when price plunging ("0 carbon"), but thats a rarity and tbh, I'm more interested in the winter or average figures. One comment to note, that of getting carbon below 50g CO2/kWh for the first time.

More complex than that. I'm after the marginal power source that has to change when you flick the switch - I believe it is most often than not a fine balancing act followed by combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) followed by being assimilated into other demand vs predictive use.

More complex than that. I'm after the marginal power source that has to change when you flick the switch - I believe it is most often than not a fine balancing act followed by combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) followed by being assimilated into other demand vs predictive use.

I'm fresh out of marginal power sources I'm afraid...

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
I’m in Austin, TX. I had 5kw solar panels installed last August and I upgraded them a few weeks ago to 7kW. The location of the panels means I get longer production at a slightly higher level (5kW) throughout the day in peak summer. I had two Powerwalls and the energy gateway installed with the original system. I absolutely love it. I can see how much energy I’m using in near real time and I’ve adjusted my lifestyle in relatively easy ways to cut 30-40% of my usage. I’m now close to being completely off grid in this 100+ degree Fahrenheit heat and I suspect I’ll be a net producer much of the rest of the year. The payback time is probably 25-30 years for me but I can afford it so it’s more important to me to know I’m off grid and not using fossil fuels most of the time. My rates in Texas are pretty low (<10 cents US/ kWh) but we get a lot of sun compared to the UK. BTW regarding switching on and off the grid, it’s completely imperceptible here on our grid. Occasionally there’s a flicker of the grid goes down (with it has down 6-7 time in 12 months) but it’s no different that what happens on grid when there are massive disruptions like that.

• Informative
Reactions: henleyregatta
My two Powerwalls easily charge from my 10.9kw PV this time of year. Winter not so well so top up from off peak.
Back in May, I had the PW settings tweaked so they balance import better. My grid use is now down to a nominal 1Kwh per week. Roughly 130Wh per day

Despite a reasonable amount of rain, and starting to do longer trips another month where our standing charge makes up a large proportion of our electricity bill.

Currently its looking like even with a smallish 4KW PV system for 6 months of the year with the help of the PW or grid electricity use really is minimal.

50257620177_0f2e28b334_c_d.jpg