Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console wraps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also installed mine myself. Got the carbon fibre one from Abstract Ocean and it was relatively easy to fit and looks great. Installed on the day of collection. They use the 3M 1080 vinyl which is supposedly the best product for the job (though I'm not an expert). Easy, fast shipping from them so would recommend.

I really wasn't sure about the carbon fibre, as I don't tend to like 'fake' things. Everyone who has been in the car assumed it was the factory / default option and I'm really happy with it. It's not too "in your face" in real life, and the texture of the carbon fibre design is really resistant to fingerprints.

These photos taken just now, so after about one week of use.

T27CcTJ.jpg

oTmVV1Z.jpg

lJu8JfW.jpg

Looks fabulous and it seems we have very similar tastes. I’m still waiting for my red M3 with black interior and Aeros. And yesterday I also ordered the carbon fibre console wrap from Abstract Ocean. So it’s great to see an example of exactly what mine will look like when it all arrives. Great minds and all that. Although if I recall rightly you have the P- version so you’d beat my LR AWD in a drag race down the Royal Mile :D

I intend to hand my Abstract Ocean console wrap to the pro detailer who will do the ceramic coating on my car, I’ll ask him to do it as I’m not overly confident with such things, I find putting a screen protector on a phone quite a challenging exercise!

Looks fabulous and it seems we have very similar tastes. I’m still waiting for my red M3 with black interior and Aeros. And yesterday I also ordered the carbon fibre console wrap from Abstract Ocean. So it’s great to see an example of exactly what mine will look like when it all arrives. Great minds and all that.

Sounds great! You'll love it when it arrives I'm sure. I think the Carbon Fibre might be the most forgiving. The colour is close enough that if there's a sliver of piano black on an edge it's much less noticeable. I'm in love with the red though. Just stunning!

Although if I recall rightly you have the P- version so you’d beat my LR AWD in a drag race down the Royal Mile :D

The Edinburgh Festival is just finishing. An 84 year old on a bicycle would beat both of us. ;)

So I decided to go for the abstract ocean carbon fiber wrap thanks to dst87 I went for that!

Great choice! Hopefully your installation goes smoothly. :)

I didn’t find it too bad. It takes a bit of patience. If you get easily frustrated by fiddly tasks then I can see it being rage-inducing but the material is very forgiving and you’ve got many many chances to adjust and try again.

I chose the carbon fibre mainly because of how forgiving it is. I can’t speak for the less heavily textured wraps. I wasn’t 100% on the carbon fibre but I love it now that it’s in the car!
Thanks for this encouragement. I have ordered the same wrap. Will be patient and take my time when it arrives. Yours really does look amazing.

Abstract Ocean is based in america. Is there an UK alternative? I know there are people selling on ebay and amazon but not sure of their quality. Thinking of supporting UK and also the carbon footprint of ordering from the States. :)

There is some irony there, buy electric save the planet...gets car shipped thousands of miles across the ocean and then buy loads of stuff from the us and China

Abstract Ocean is based in america. Is there an UK alternative? I know there are people selling on ebay and amazon but not sure of their quality. Thinking of supporting UK and also the carbon footprint of ordering from the States. :)
All i can say is the £4 ebay one's, quality is something to be very careful of :). Think of very sticky tape that creases very easily and is not cut perfectly (few mm short to the edges). I have had some experience with this. See my previous post!

Look for quality material such as 3M 1080 or similar

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Thanks for this encouragement. I have ordered the same wrap. Will be patient and take my time when it arrives. Yours really does look amazing.

To give you some context I really badly misaligned the middle section, but didn't realise until after I'd used the little spatula thing to really smooth it out and attach it firmly. I was able (with some force) to peel it all off again and the vinyl looked awful - it was a little stretched and it had lots of crease marks. Still, re-applying it and smoothing it all out worked and the result was still excellent.

Your vehicle was shipped from the US, so the additional footprint of shipping a few grams of vinyl isn’t going to matter too much.

You also have to consider - the wraps are made of 3M 1080 vinyl. Where is that manufactured? Unless 3M have UK manufacturing for this then the transport carbon is going to happen whether the end product is shipped to you from the UK or from the US.

Supply chains are complicated and I think you’d be hard pushed to understand it well enough to be able to make an informed decision, unless you can find a company selling these who is transparent about their supply chain.

I’d just buy from Abstract Ocean and not worry about it.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Just to chip in, AO is indeed based in Texas (and that's where we manufacture all the vinyl stuff), but it is an Anglo-American company, since I'm British :) Moved here in 2008, but still have a stead supply of Marmite and Maltesers coming my way, and will always accept M&S Gigantic Chocolate Buttons or Jaffa Cakes as a form of payment :)

As for being green, we try, within reason. Our UPS shipments are carbon-offset, and we have solar/Powerwall that generates much of the power for the business. We'll have that to 100% by early next year.

I got quoted £450 + vat to do just the console. Apparently they have got a few in and have had to take it apart. I will be trying the link here... seems excessive
That's mental. There's no need to take it apart no matter what technique they're using, unless they're wrapping the aluminium strips as well (even then, it's marginal). For an experienced installer, this is a 15 minute job, tops.

Installed the taptes wrap.. it wasn't nearly as hard as I'd thought.. the vinyl is really forgiving and you can re position it lots of times without it losing stickyness. Having done it once I'd be confident I could do it again.. and I'm a complete clutz normally.

Alas although it looks great they cut it to the exact size with no overlap (the ones I've seen on youtube videos overlap somewhat, which allows you to hide slight misalignment issues invisibly), and the centre piece either due to stretching or not being cut straight to start with curves slightly along the top, which is obvious once you've seen it.

I'll probably wait until there are good quality wraps available from the UK to replace it.. it'll do fine for a few months.. easy to swap out whenever.

Reactions: Roy W.
Just to chip in, AO is indeed based in Texas (and that's where we manufacture all the vinyl stuff), but it is an Anglo-American company, since I'm British :) Moved here in 2008, but still have a stead supply of Marmite and Maltesers coming my way, and will always accept M&S Gigantic Chocolate Buttons or Jaffa Cakes as a form of payment :)

As for being green, we try, within reason. Our UPS shipments are carbon-offset, and we have solar/Powerwall that generates much of the power for the business. We'll have that to 100% by early next year.

If only I’d known the Jaffa Cake payment option existed, it never showed up in the AO checkout when I ordered my wireless charger and a few other accessories a few days ago :) Orange Pay instead of Apple Pay :D

• Funny
Reactions: Blueskye
If only I’d known the Jaffa Cake payment option existed, it never showed up in the AO checkout when I ordered my wireless charger and a few other accessories a few days ago :) Orange Pay instead of Apple Pay :D
Ha! That would be an interesting discussion with our dev team. The first hour would be taken up with explaining what a jaffa 'cake' is. It would go downhill from there, some things just don't translate well.