Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console wraps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone that has a white dash strip at the front... what is this “horrible reflection” everyone is talking about?

The white dash strip can reflect an image on the side window / wing mirror glass obstructing the view of the wing mirror. The amount of the reflection depends on how the seat and mirrors are adjusted and how the light is entering the interior of the car. I didn't really notice it until I installed the SUMA Performance mirrors which have the blue tint.

I actually wrapped the white dash piece and I don't have the reflection issues anymore. The dash piece is easy to remove...

Reactions: Blueskye
The white dash strip can reflect an image on the side window / wing mirror glass obstructing the view of the wing mirror. The amount of the reflection depends on how the seat and mirrors are adjusted and how the light is entering the interior of the car. I didn't really notice it until I installed the SUMA Performance mirrors which have the blue tint.

I actually wrapped the white dash piece and I don't have the reflection issues anymore. The dash piece is easy to remove...
Interesting... I didn’t even think it would be such a problem in sunny England ....;):D:D:D

Everyone that has a white dash strip at the front... what is this “horrible reflection” everyone is talking about?
I wanted the white interior, but they disabled the option when I’ve ordered so I’m stuck with the black and the seats are.... fine. But I HATE the wood is so tacky and old fashioned :confused:
I was looking to either exchange with a fellow owner that feels the same way about their white dash or put a wrap/plastic cover on it...
But heard of this reflection being mentioned all the time...
I went with a carbon overlay. It is real carbon and looks lovely off the car. I don't have a cat yet to try it on though!

View attachment 445792 I’ve gone for an Abstract Ocean wrap, bit more expensive, but they use 3M vinyl and the cut / fit is great.

Went for Black Matrix. Have now ordered the dash wrap too.

Fitted myself, no swearing so it can’t have been too bad :D
I got the same one, it's like looking at my own car. Abstract Ocean give "degrees of difficulty" for their wraps, this is one of the easier ones, they reckon.
I have never been tempted to clean it, it simply doesn't need it (unlike the screen, which, despite a matt finish (also AO), shows finger marks in some lights).

The UK can be subject to even more reflection issues than "sunnier" locations due to the fact that we have more time when we have low angle sun.

Yep, certain times of day, driving in certain directions, with roof down, I cannot see the speedo on my car (seriously) officer! The TFT based console is totally whited out by strong sun.

Not seen what its like in Model 3 yet. Can't put the roof up on that.

Yep, certain times of day, driving in certain directions, with roof down, I cannot see the speedo on my car (seriously) officer! The TFT based console is totally whited out by strong sun.

Not seen what its like in Model 3 yet. Can't put the roof up on that.
That’s true, I have two tft screens in my car, one for the odometer and one for the infotainment..
I also have the electric sunroof, so I just remembered what a pain it was with bright sun and the navigation on the screen hahah...

Hope is not that bad with the M3.
I have test driven it, but the sun was not so intense, so didn’t notice any issues with glare on windshield/glass nor screen...

That’s true, I have two tft screens in my car, one for the odometer and one for the infotainment..
I also have the electric sunroof, so I just remembered what a pain it was with bright sun and the navigation on the screen hahah...

Hope is not that bad with the M3.
I have test driven it, but the sun was not so intense, so didn’t notice any issues with glare on windshield/glass nor screen...

I've never noticed any particular issues with the M3 screen. I'm sure there will be some occasions when the sun is in exactly the wrong position but it must be rare ... or my memory is worse than I thought.

• Informative
Reactions: Blueskye
You probably have not had the car long enough. Its a spring/summer issue down south.

I did get some experience of the low autumn sun (got the car 4th September). There would be bound to have been an odd occasion of strong reflections but I really don't recall them being an issue worthy of note. I have to admit I don't spend much time looking at the screen when I'm driving!

(Did you have some summer driving?)

Yikes, I've just been looking at these. I'm not fussed either way on the gloss black; I'm not a huge fan but I don't hate it. I was however thinking of getting a wrap to project it from scratches with it being a lease that I'll be responsible for for 3 years.

£47 for 3 bits of sticky plastic?! I'm a model builder and good with scalpels etc. Could I not just get some similar fabric and do it myself cheaper?
Gi on ebay its not cheep stuff