Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whelp, I’m here cause my screen is black with no functionality. 2014 Model S 85 167k miles. I’ve tried everything I can, short of unplugging 12v and removing fuse. So is this solution to remove screen and send somewhere?

If you send us the board, we can let you know if recovery is possible. Additional trying is not a good idea as that generally can lead to loss of the important car key files.

Another MCU1 failure here. My car only has 40k on it and I believe this has been failing for a while now. Over the last year I have been having to reboot the MCU1 to get it to play music. It seems like this is a huge issue for so many people. Do you think Tesla will step up and support the early adopters? I bought the service contact and brought it in every year for a checkup. Should I have expected that they would be able to see if the MCU was having problems? Does Tesla have a log of how many times I had to reboot the MCU over the last year (while under warranty)?

I am stuck with a car in my garage that has no display. The closest service center is about 1.5 hour drive and the only solution they have is to charge $2500 and install the MCU1 which could fail at the same rate.

I love my Tesla but this has soured my experience with the company.

Another MCU1 failure here. My car only has 40k on it and I believe this has been failing for a while now. Over the last year I have been having to reboot the MCU1 to get it to play music. It seems like this is a huge issue for so many people. Do you think Tesla will step up and support the early adopters? I bought the service contact and brought it in every year for a checkup. Should I have expected that they would be able to see if the MCU was having problems? Does Tesla have a log of how many times I had to reboot the MCU over the last year (while under warranty)?

I am stuck with a car in my garage that has no display. The closest service center is about 1.5 hour drive and the only solution they have is to charge $2500 and install the MCU1 which could fail at the same rate.

Hi Guy, I think your not far from us. We may be able to help you out. Typically tesla wont replace till its totally black under warranty. It's best for you to come see us as soon as you can and not try to reboot anymore. Hopefully we can still recover the keys.

Reactions: sdoorex

I guess I'm lucky that mine went out at 124k miles. Also, I just found out that we cannot get MCU 2. You must have autopilot 2 or newer in order to get MCU 2.

First, I would highly encourage you work with Tony (EV-Fixme) to upgrade your eMMC. Second, if you can't or don't want to do that, double-check with the SC. That should be a $1500 swap out, not a $2500 swap out.

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in and really give Tony a big thanks/appreciation for his services. He was fast to reply to my messages and with the repair. My 2014 Model S at 45k miles was starting up with the black screen issues for a couple months now and I had to reset the vehicle occasionally with the steering wheel controls. A member on the Bay Area Tesla owners Facebook group referred me to Tony's services.

Upon Tony receiving my Tegra board, he sent me information that my eMMC had 80% the write cycles used up. So I can't stress it enough, preventative replacement is key...don't wait until it's too late! Tesla will not offer us legacy owners the MCU2 upgrade as of the date of this writing, so it will cost huge $$$ if data can't be backed up due to corrupted eMMC, as Tesla service will only replace the MCU1 with another one. (Lately there are supply issues with getting new MCUs.)

I am located in the South Bay, so if anyone has issues with this (and I know it's only going to increase) please feel free to contact me for assistance with MCU and Tegra board removal. I can try to help those in my spare time who are afraid to break or scratch their instrument panels :). (just send me a DM)

Thanks!

well, my 2013 S85 with 86,132 miles navigation stopped working and failed to download the maps. The ranger was nice enough to try to help me out when I texted him as I was lost driving around with all five kids in the car (my non-existant navigation skills is another discussion) he got a failure code that he said was imminent Emmc failure and that my cars screen may go black and it be unable to charge at any time.

wish there was somone who could do this emmc recovery and upgrade local to me, timing is also terribly bad as we will be taking that same car to the corn fields of Iowa to visit family on a farm in less than 2 weeks. 20200606_125801.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Since when did MCU1 swap drop to 1500? that would at least be a silver lining for me vs 2200-2500 last I knew.
We have the same car. Mine is November build. The MCU 2 is $2500 but at this time it's not available to us. My appointment this past Tuesday is moved back to June 22. BTW mine went out while I was out of town. I was able to drive it home. Mine can charge fine.

We have the same car. Mine is November build. The MCU 2 is $2500 but at this time it's not available to us. My appointment this past Tuesday is moved back to June 22. BTW mine went out while I was out of town. I was able to drive it home. Mine can charge fine.

grreaaat.

well mine is Oct 2013 and will just have to hope for the best, already going to be a difficult trip with car navigation down, will have to do it all from phone and figure out charging that way..this is a nightmare.

@Knightowl some cars loose charging to usable range when emmc goes out. I just worked on one that would only charge to 45 miles when emmc went out. If you get your board out tomorrow, We can do rush service and get it back to you in a week total. PM me if you want more details. Maybe you can get the ranger to remove the board for you?

grreaaat.

well mine is Oct 2013 and will just have to hope for the best, already going to be a difficult trip with car navigation down, will have to do it all from phone and figure out charging that way..this is a nightmare.
Your car and your decision, but there is now way in hell that I would be doing a road trip under those conditions. Do yourself a favor and get the car fixed before you leave town.