Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some countries are getting better support. Hopefully Tesla will supply this level of support worldwide. Everyone can let Tesla know it's wrong they dont supply owners what they need to repair their cars.

Absolutely. There are people living remotely (I live 500km from the next SC) who need to be able to maintain their vehicle themselves or by a 3rd party work shop.......just like any other car. Teslas current policies cost them customers.

Hi,
I have read that an Austrian guy who had his eMMC replaced by LuckyLuke got the Tesla certificates after legal action as the Tesla policy contradicts EU-consumer laws which state that a manufacturer has to supply parts and info to 3rd party repairers to keep the product in working order.
Ah, yes. That’s new. Heard about that, never knew it ended in him winning.

Sorry to hear. I recommend you pull the A/C fuse. Else if you can still charge it, its going to drain your battery. Answer to your last question next. Yes, Tesla has posted that all cars will be able to get the MCU2 Upgrade. But right now, they are working backwards, newest first. I am sorry to say, that I predict you are 9-12 months out before you will be invited for 2013 to buy the MCU2 Upgrade. In the meantime, I recommend you reach out to @EV-Fixme for some reasonably priced help to get you til you can get the MCU2 Upgrade. Just wonderin' how many miles did your car have when the MCU failed?
Thanks for your reply. The A/C stopped by itself. But it would start again when I drive it. I wish I could get Tony to fix but I don't know how to remove the MCU. My car has 124k miles. No warning at all. It's been working fine this whole time except the bubbling. I have an appointment Wednesday at the Service Center here. BTW this happened while I was out of town. Scary.

If you have an appt, you are in good hands. Cost a bit more than Tony does it. But if you don't think you can do the MCU removal and disassembly, that's a smart thing. MCUs have recently been in short supply. Some people have been reporting that they have a 6+ week wait. If you have to have SC replace it, getting one right away is very good. My best to you.

Thanks for your reply. The A/C stopped by itself. But it would start again when I drive it. I wish I could get Tony to fix but I don't know how to remove the MCU. My car has 124k miles. No warning at all. It's been working fine this whole time except the bubbling. I have an appointment Wednesday at the Service Center here. BTW this happened while I was out of town. Scary.
Let's hope your SC has an MCU. Mine told me that they are backordered with no ETA, so I went to Tony.

FYI - I watched Tony remove my MCU last week. While he makes it look easy, it actually isn't as hard as I thought it would be - I would do it myself next time after watching the master. Watch the videos and see what you think. Alternatively, take a 5-day vacation to SoCal and have Tony do it for you! It's only about 5-6 hours away...

Let's hope your SC has an MCU. Mine told me that they are backordered with no ETA, so I went to Tony.

FYI - I watched Tony remove my MCU last week. While he makes it look easy, it actually isn't as hard as I thought it would be - I would do it myself next time after watching the master. Watch the videos and see what you think. Alternatively, take a 5-day vacation to SoCal and have Tony do it for you! It's only about 5-6 hours away...

With it blacked I dont recommend people come this distance. I actually had 1 car that stopped adding much range after screen went black and before removal. But for preventive, I can help do the whole thing for sure. Removal is not bad @tj1772 we can provide additional assistance if need with questions.

Reactions: Akikiki
With it blacked I dont recommend people come this distance. I actually had 1 car that stopped adding much range after screen went black and before removal. But for preventive, I can help do the whole thing for sure. Removal is not bad @tj1772 we can provide additional assistance if need with questions.
Thanks. I was just there yesterday. We were at Huntington Beach when the MCU went black. Let me find out from SC. I just like to get it fix. At this point I don't need to use the car. I'll let you know. Thanks

Whelp, I’m here cause my screen is black with no functionality. 2014 Model S 85 167k miles. I’ve tried everything I can, short of unplugging 12v and removing fuse. So is this solution to remove screen and send somewhere?

Attachments

• AAA98ACD-F0D1-418A-A79C-6FD93495F63D.jpeg
    AAA98ACD-F0D1-418A-A79C-6FD93495F63D.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 68
Whelp, I’m here cause my screen is black with no functionality. 2014 Model S 85 167k miles. I’ve tried everything I can, short of unplugging 12v and removing fuse. So is this solution to remove screen and send somewhere?

I was told by the tech here more than likely the MCU is out. Unfortunately, for me here there is non available. Not even MCU 1. They have no date when they expect get some. He said unlikely I can get MCU 2. If you plan to take it to SC make sure they have one available. Also, I wanted MCU 2 with LTE. 3g will be shut down Feb 2022. So, the replacement with another MCU1 will only be good for a year and a half. I'm thinking of just waiting it out until MCU 2 become available for our cars.

Last edited: